Status
Not open for further replies.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Just wondering only...
Right now I am using Office 2016 with POP3 and PST. That has been working well for 20 years: my first Office being Office 1997.
(Before that I was using Eudora, that used .mbx files)

I have multiple accounts, with mail coming via Outlook, Gmail (2x) and a 3rd one using the domain-name of my ISP.
Every six months or so, I move mails to archive PST files, leaving the last 6 months of mail in the normal ('active') mailboxes.
Both archive and active mailboxes are being indexed by X1 but for the 'quick search', in the normal (not archive) mailboxes
I first use the search feature within Outlook.
Obviously, with Office 2016, the only accounts that are available online are Outlook and Gmail (web access)
Right now I use a tablet and a 3rd party email app for a (very) occasional email check. However, I considering to switch to
a Windows based laptop/notebook, reason for the below Office 365 questions.

I assume that
1. I have to create new accounts all using .OST files
2. changing to Office 365 means that accounts are online visible
3. moving files to .PST files, like before, is still possible
4. I should try to avoid large .OST files, i.e. keep the number of mail items to a minimum(?)

Considering the above what is possible now (Office 2016) that is not possible/difficult with 365.
What else should I consider?

Thanks

I assume that
1. I have to create new accounts all using .OST files
2. changing to Office 365 means that accounts are online visible
3. moving files to .PST files, like before, is still possible
4. I should try to avoid large .OST files, i.e. keep the number of mail items to a minimum(?)

Considering the above what is possible now (Office 2016) that is not possible/difficult with 365.
Office 365 software is office 2016 - the 365 designates it as a subscription model. (Or used to; perpetual licenses may show 365 on the splash screen.)

if you mean office 365 email (either outlook.com or business side) - its an exchange account.

1. You can continue to use pop and pst files if you want. OST files are used by imap and outlook.com/exchange accounts.
2. only if you use outlook.com or office 365 business account
3. Yes, you can still do that, or use archive function.
4. the default size is 50 GB and unlimited items per folder, but i think the folders you use regularly are best under 10,000 or so messages. it takes longer to draw the view if there are a lot of messages. Archive folders and folders you rarely look in can have more.

As always, many thanks Diane.

Yes, I understand, one will get the same applications in 365 and Office 2016 (depending on the version of course).
What's the difference between Office 365 and Office 2016?

But what I am worried/confused/puzzled about is the GUI of the applications. When doing a Google search on images and 365 Outlook I hit on an interface resembling the relatively 'bar' OWA, no toolbar.
(Didn't check out the 365 versions of Excel and Word yet)

Secondly, to complete my confusion... :)
with Office 365 I assumed that the Outlook therein -is- Office 365 email, i.e. purchasing Office 365 means Outlook 365, means IMAP and OST,
no other options.

Thanks for replying on the other items.

SnagIt-04062018 092703.png

Bottom image is Outlook on the web - you get this in Outlook.com and if you have an Office 365 Exchange mailbox.

Top image is outlook installed on windows desktop.

purchasing Office 365 means Outlook 365, means IMAP and OST,
no other options.
No, Outlook desktop supports Exchange and POP too (and PIM/ no mail) - but if your email host supports IMAP, it will default to that. If you want pop, you need to click Advanced and choose Manual setup - after entering your email address, click Connect and it will find the server then bring up an option dialog to choose pop.

2018-06-04_9-42-07.png 2018-06-04_9-44-09.png

Okay ... The top toolbar (which is the one I have now, with the standalone Office 2016) is then the same as with Office 365, right?

OWA (bottom toolbar): I hardly use it. In fact I only open it for two things...
check out the junk folder (Microsoft regularly puts legitimate mail there) and
to batch delete mail. On my tablet I use AquaMail, deleting many mails there is not efficient.

As for mail setup - I always use the 'advanced' way and select POP3, allowing me to select the appropriate, existing, PST files.

Will consider Office 365, the more so because I am considering using a laptop instead of a tablet.

Anyway, thanks again, Diane!

Okay ... The top toolbar (which is the one I have now, with the standalone Office 2016) is then the same as with Office 365, right?
Yes, its the same for desktop software, whatever Microsoft calls it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.