Problem using drag and drop to attach an html email in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalperin

I'm using Outlook 2010. I want to send an html email as an attachment (instead of just forwarding which might mess up the formatting). If I attach it by using Message -> Attach Item --> Outlook Item and then selecting the email to be attached, everything works great.
If, however, I drag and drop the email message to be attached (as I commonly do to attach any other file), the recipient receives the attachment as a plain text version of the html email (instead of the html version). This did NOT happen when I used Outlook 2007 and previous versions. Also, it doesn't seem to matter what version of Outlook the recipient is using; they always receive the stripped version of the attachment.
So, dragging and dropping (which is more convenient) doesn't work as of Outlook 2010. Or is there some setting I can change?

I'm trying to find out what i can about this - haven't had any luck, only know that a few other people reported the same problem. It sounds like your outlook is doing it.

What type of email account do you have? I can imagine a scenario with an Exchange mailbox since exchange stores an HTML and plain text version.

Are you scanning mail with a virus scanner?

(I can't repro it on either account type.)

I'm sure there's some kind of server-side scanning going on. Also, at least one of the PC's is using Microsoft Security Essentials locally.

MES isn't the problem, it does not scan email as it sent or received (or the contents of a pst).

Did you try sending the message while outlook is in Safe mode? You can get into Safe mode by holding Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start it.

That pretty much eliminates issues with addins.. I'll check with the dev team and see if they know anything, but it could be something on the server/mailbox doing it.

I tried sending using a couple of different smtp (outgoing) servers. My default is Comcast (my ISP), but I also tried emailing a test to myself and using the smtp server that's on the same box as the IMAP server I use to receive mail. The results are exactly the same. Plus, my business partner, who is experiencing the same issue, uses a hosted Exchange server from Intermedia, and he has exactly the same problem. Finally, this problem began for each us when we upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010. It definitely seems to be an Outlook 2010 issue of some sort. I'm running Win 7 64-bit if it matters.

Are you both using 32 or 64 bit outlook? I have both 32 and 64 bit Outlook (clean installs) on different win7 64bit systems but i forget which computer i used when i tried to repro (I think it was my desktop with 64bit Outlook but can't be sure.)

When you upgraded did you make a new profile? If you kept the old profile, make a new test profile with a new pst (but don't delete your current profile) and see if still happens.

Jeff and Diane, I'm experiencing the same problem. Did you find a resolution?

To reiterate: when I drag and drop attachments, those receiving have trouble.

When using File, Attach...recipients confirm receipt.

I was running Office 2007 and upgraded to Office 2010 Pro, electing to keep all office 2007 programs alongside 2010; however, as you know, Outlook 2007 is automatically replaced with 2010.

Sadly, there seems to be no resolution. The workaround is to us Attach Item --> Outlook Item from the "Include" section of the "Message" tab of the Outlook 2010 Ribbon.

Exactly, I've the similar problem and I use Outlook 2010 - 32 bit, win-xp prof.

I never used to have such prob with outlook 07 or 03.

Please help!!!!

Did you install Office 2010 SP1? I can't recall if it is fixed in SP1, but I know they are aware of the problem.

SP1 is .6023.1000. Go to windows update and update to sp1 and see if it works as expected.

I think its two different problems, but they may be related. The link refers to OWA, this thread was in reference to the desktop client. I'll look into the OWA issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.