Names reversed in Full Name field

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wdmarsh

Just installed Outlook 2010 on a new laptop and populated theAddress Book via a synch from me Blackberry. I noticed that many (though not all) of the addresses display the first and last names in the wrong order in the Full Name field (i.e., Mr. John Smith displays as Mr. Smith John). When I open the Check Full Name dialog box, the names are displayed correctly. The File As name is also displayed correctly (I have opted to display last name first, so in this example it displays as " Smith, John" ).

This never happened with Outlook 2007 on my previous laptop. Is there a way to fix this? Manually tinkering with the fields doesn't work: if I edit the Full Name field, then open the Check Full Name dialog, it displays " John Smith" in the First Name field and the Last Name field is blank.

I'm at a loss. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks,

Dave Marsh

You should never populate your Contacts via a sync unless you want them to end up this way. Sync operations will never populate derived fields correctly. I would start over with a new Outlook profile and migrate your data correctly.Russ Valentine

To eliminate some of the obvious variables in the equation - here are some very simple things to check/test

#1 - Are the default settings for FullName set to the format you desire - in O'2010 --> File --> Options --> Contacts

#2 - If you create a <new> contact and enter the name into the <individual> FullName fields (click on the FullName button) and NOT via the FullName field - does the contact get created correctly as per the default settings? If the default settings are correct as per your desired end result and the FullName field doesn't appear correctly - it's an Outlook issue which on a scale of 1 to 100 has a liklihood of being

a <-100>. Changing the default settings does not change any pre-existing contacts unless the Contact name is changed.

#3 - If a new contact is created correctly in step#2 - then the issue is related to either a) the BlackBerry software in use and/or b) how the FullName is stored on your BlackBerry. Either way, it is not an Outlook issue since Outlook plays no role in the sync process. That is completely governed by the sync software in use.

You may want to pose the question in the appropriate Blackberry support forum for your phone/software

BlackBerry Support Community Forums

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/

If you need something to simply reset the format of the Name field for you contacts - the standardization functions of ContactGenie Toolkit may be of interest -http://www.contactgenie.com/toolkit_4_outlook.htm

Sorry to visit such an old post ... same problem in Outlook 2013 ... All names are enterred into the correct fields in the contact file ... when looking at an open contact file some contacts display the Full Name correctly (last first, first last) ... and some do NOT ... it is not consistant through out all contacts ... is there a way to change the

Full Name Display" for an individual contact ... I have changed the global controls to no avail.

Could it matter where the oroginal data came from? ie: in a synch from another device, enterred directly to Outlook, accepted as a contact card received by email ???

Makin' me nuts ... no logic here at all

Guyb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T exporting contacts names reversed in CSV file Using Outlook 8
N Trouble with server names Using Outlook 1
R Adding Userform Dropdown List items from names of subfolders on network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
O Same email address, same person, names in so many ways Using Outlook 4
J Names in sent items suddenly show as Bob Smith (bobsmith@sample.com) Using Outlook 3
M How to export Voting Results with user names and their responses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
R Add 'Company' to Select Names Form Using Outlook 1
N Rule for "on behalf of" - with changing names Using Outlook 2
C Outlook Mobile app email order randomized and display names stripped Using Outlook 6
M Using field names to capture a data element Using Outlook 0
D Overlapping Names in Folder List Using Outlook 4
L Hubby and Wife names in email address Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2013 when clicking To in a new email show Company names Using Outlook 0
D Change First/Last Order of Contact Names (O 2016) Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Replace Display Names with Email Addresses Using Outlook 0
N Importing Google contacts from CSV file removes recipient names in autocomplete list Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Add Attachment Names to Message Before Sending Using Outlook 0
F I want to migrate Outlook journal to excel including contact names Using Outlook 10
Diane Poremsky Log Messages and Attachment Names Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2007 Select Names Default columns Using Outlook 3
Aussie Looking for Outlook macro to Copy Recipient Names into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R VBA to count email Subject names Using Outlook 1
D Inconsistent order of names displayed Using Outlook 7
J Swedish characters in Outlook folder names Using Outlook 0
J autocomplete in "To" field does not work for display names Using Outlook 8
R BCM lead form layout field names not being displayed Using Outlook 0
G Address names auto complete not working - Outlook 2007 version Using Outlook 1
R contact names does not display in compose emails using Outlook2013 Using Outlook 3
N Contact Groups - names keep changing from Contacts to AddressBook Using Outlook 5
A BCM 2010 account names import in reverse order BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
P Different names for the same email address Using Outlook 1
J How To Change Font Size For Folder Names on Navigation Pane in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
I Address book contacts not listed in "Select Names:Contacts" window Using Outlook 2
T Click "A" to see all email from people with names starting with A... etc Using Outlook 3
S Inbox names appear greyed out Using Outlook 3
williamlambton Filter which removes Display Names from incoming emails. Using Outlook 2
U Address Book Issue - Old or incorrect address shows up on some user names Using Outlook 2
D Contacts as default in Select Names dialog Using Outlook 1
R how to copy a list of email contacts and paste them only as names (not names + email address) Using Outlook 12
T Autocomplete, although enabled, does not complete names in TO: Using Outlook 4
J Select Names Dialog Box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
R multiple display names Using Outlook 6
S Why are different email names displayed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M How to handle Outlook Contacts who have multiple Names BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
O Outlook 2007: Phone List View - Field Names Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook 2007: change field names Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
F Managing and parsing names other than main contact Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
U Outlook does not recognize one or more names Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Resolving Names Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Retrieve the Mails with the attachment names changed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3