Outlook 2003 Add-in automated removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mills

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hope this is the right forum

I need to know if there is an automated way, either via script or Group Policy, to either remove or disable an Outlook 2003 Add-in. We need to remove or disable the Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 Add-in from Outlook 2003 clients as it is slowing the performance down (30-40 seconds between emails).

Any help is well appreciated.

Cheers!

Forum Admin

THe enable/disable setting is in the registry so you can use a gpo to disable addins. Uninstall would require a script.

key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins, loadbehavior = 2, 8 or 0 wll disable it.

Mills

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
THe enable/disable setting is in the registry so you can use a gpo to disable addins. Uninstall would require a script.

key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins, loadbehavior = 2, 8 or 0 wll disable it.
@ slipstick Admin - Thanks for the response. What if that key is not present, and also, would this disable all add-ins or is this a 'per add-in' setting. There are add-ins that we need as it is just the Symantec one that we want disabledd. Unfortunately we are unable to remove it from the central Symantec management console.

Thanks!

Mills

larry

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
The key should be present - actually its a subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\symantec-whatever (I don't have that addin so i don't know the exact name)

You'll set only the load behavior for symantec's entry to 2, 8, or 0.

Each addin has it's own subkey and its own loadbehavior key.

oh, if you don't see a key for the utility you want to unload in that location, look in local machine branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

Mills

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
@Larry

Thansk for the reply. Unfortunately I have neither of those registry entries. The closes thing I could find is HLM\Software\Intel\Landesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\Snap-in\MicrosoftExchangeClient. I have just started to research what this does and if anything within this entry controls the Outlook Add-in.

Cheers!

Mills

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Mills

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
@Diane

thank you and that got me closer. Don't know if we have a special configuration of the client or not but not all of the files were present (Exchngui.ldl) and (Vpmsece.dll was actually named Vpmsece4.dll). Upon opening Outlook I am presented with the following error: Error: "The add-in 'C:\program files\Symantec Antivirus\vpmsece4.dll' could not be installed...". I researched and performed the necessary steps but that did not solve the error message from appearing and the 10.1 add-in is still checked.

Any 'next step' suggestions? Appreciate all of the help so far!

Cheers!

Mills

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
That error is usually associated with extend.dat. Was one of the steps deleting extend.dat?

Is symantec listed in the addins in tools, options? If not, then its etend.dat causing that message.

Mills

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
@Diane - Sorry for the late reply. I have tried deleting the extend.dat from the users profile and the error still appears. It appears unless the checkmark is removed from the Add-in Manager listing of Symantec AntiVirus 10.1.

Everything I have tried has not worked. Our Service Desk is just manually performing this step as calls come in.

If anyone has any other suggestions they are more then appreciated...and I appreciate all the support i have received so far.

Cheers!

Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.