vCalendar Meeting Requests sending updates instead of sending new invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

emehta

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
We have been using vcalendar for a while now. Recently after upgrading to outlook 2007 from 2003 when I double click to open the .ics file when it opens, I have a To: field at the top and a Send Update button to the left instead of Send. I assume this is because it sees it as an existing meeting rather than a new appointment.Any idea???In case it helps, here's what I get in Notepad from the .ics file:BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Outlook 11.0 MIMEDIR//EN
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
METHOD:pUBLISH

BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART;TZID=US/Central:20071214T210000Z

DTEND;TZID=US/Central:20071214T230000Z

SUMMARY:Test From TPN

ORGANIZER:MAILTO:test@dev.com

ATTENDEE;CN=Orchard,Dominic;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTO:client@dev.com

DESCRIPTION:This is a test from TPN

UID:tpn1456-33432

SEQUENCE:0

DTSTAMP:20071207T151700

PRIORITY:5

X-MICROSOFT-CDO-IMPORTANCE:1

CLASS:pUBLIC

BEGIN:VALARM

TRIGGER:pT15M

ACTION:DISPLAY

DESCRIPTION:Reminder

END:VALARM

END:VEVENT

END:VCALENDAR

Re: vCalendar Meeting Requests sending updates instead of sending new invitati

Where did the ical come from? This is a fairly common problem with icals provided by reservation systems.

Which address is yours - client or test?

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response.

We are generating this ical programmatically. usually Organizer email is my email. I have scrubbed before posting. Main issue is because this is sending updates instead of sending new invitation...it is sending cancellation emails to previously sent invitation participants if they are not a part of this new invite.

When we generate this ical...UID is unique and sequence is set to 0.

Have you saved an appointment and compared it with this one? The code looks good to me - and interestingly, it opens as a proper meeting request in Outlook 2010 (as an invitee, not organizer). Off to test it in Outlook 2007...

This is from my 2007. I believe its fully updated, so that would be the first thing to check. Actually, i have it in a pst, with an imap account in the proile. I'll test it with a exchange account too. My initial thought was that it had something to do with my account not being in your domain - that for whatever reason, outlook was looking at the domain only and making anyone in the domain the organizer.

test-ics.png

Yes if your outlook email is not a organizer you would see save & close.

Another thing is if I change Method to request from publish I see message saying you are an organizer so you don not need to respond. There is no send button to send invite to other attendees.

And if I change iCal version to 1.0, it works fine with exception it does not populate attendees in TO list automatically. I do see sent button and am able to sent invitation successfully.

It works with an Exchange 2010 account.

Try changing the attendee line to something not in your network.

So you want to be the organizer? The other thread was about not wanting to be the organizer so I thought the was the same.

Sorry for the miscommunication.

We have a system where our user can setup meeting where they are the organizer and can add attendees to that meeting. So when they click a button a ical is opened with them as an organizer and all expected attendees in TO list. They can verify the invite and click send to send email.

Right now because it sends updates, it is also sending meeting cancellation emails to those who were previously invited but is not part of current invitation even though ical UID and sequence is unique. This happens in 2007.

Let me try in 2010.

I did install outlook 2010 and I see the same behavior.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

From past experience, I don't think so, but I can't repro the problem so i can't test different things - one thought was to remove the squence line based on the thought that the squence is added when its saved, so it shouldn't exist for a new event. But its always a meeting request with accept /decline buttons.

In comparing your version with one I created and saved as an ical, nothing in the raw data sticks out as a possble cause.

Even when you are an organizer?

ical screenshot.pngical screenshot.pnge.

With outlook too I created new meeting, added attendees. I saved meeting without sending. When I opened that meeting again...I see message "As the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting." I have attached screen shot.

Another thing i tried is created new meeting and saved in outlook without sending. when I open that meeting again I see Send button. Difference that I see it when I open ical sent on my desktop, current folder(File --> Info) is "Inbox" and when i open ical saved in outlook, current folder is "Calendar".

Yes, that's what is so weird about it.

Solved half the problem - outlook is confused with multiple accounts in the profile. With one account, i get the send update button. Now to figure out why...

Yeah my colleague is also seeing the same behavior in outlook 2007 and 2010.

So they get the same googiness I did with multiple accounts in 2007? I figured it was because of how 2010 handles multiple accounts - but I think now I will test it in 2003 and after I confirm the behavior is 'as expected' in 2003, I'll file a bug or two on it.

Okies...Please keep me posted. Is there any interim solution so that we can atleast avoid sending cancellation emails.

Thanks Diane

Some people have luck setting outlook offline then deleting the cancellation notices. That is the only method I'm aware of.

Thanks Diane...were you able to test it in 2003?

No, it won't even open in 2003. I get a basic 'can't import vcalendar file' message. The code looks clean - it had a bunch of spaces at the end of each line that i removed - so I'm not sure where it goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.