Problem syncing any changes to appointment times on PDAs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanBru

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

Need some help please. I've already posted in MS forums to no avail.

We have Exchange 2003, Outlook 2003 and Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 PDAs which sync using Exchange Activesync.

Since a couple of weeks ago, any changes to the starting or ending times of appointments do not sync to the PDAs, i.e., they keep the original start or end time forever. Changes to any other fields sync, e.g., subject, text, categories, even marking as Private. I can see the time update in Outlook and OWA, just not on the PDAs. This happens to all our users on all their PDAs. I can reproduce the problem at will. Anything else, e.g., emails, syncs properly on the PDAs.

The only thing we did was install some critical OS patches on our Exchange servers.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks,

- Alan.

BTW, did you look in the Sync Issues folder to see if there were any clues? I'm not sure they will be any for activesync, but its work checking.

Thanks Diane.

No luck. The Sync Issues folder and its sub-folders are all empty on the PDA.

Our server team installed the updates from WSUS, the only description I have is "OS Patch rollout 16/01/2012". But they tell me none were for Exchange itself.

I'm getting grief because our biggest VIP arrived late for a meeting where the start date was changed. Everything worked before for years, it's very strange.

Thanks again.

Check the sync folder in outlook. I suspect it will be empty too (or at least, not helpful) but we might get lucky.

Done. The Conflicts folder contains two items but they're from 2005. Nothing else in the other 3 folders. There's also a top-level "Synchronization Failures" folder but it's empty. Thanks.

I'm not surprised it was empty but it was worth a shot. I'll have to wait and see what my contact says.

Sorry Diane I gave you some incorrect info: the appointment time changes are NOT being seen in OWA either. So it's normal that they are not seen in Activesync I suppose.

Anyway, I read that it could be a permissions issue and added myself as owner to the Calendar folder permissions. Didn't help. I'll keep looking.

Now it makes more sense - the time change is either not getting saved or it's getting updated by the original when the item syncs. You do need at least edit item permissions to change the time in folders you don't own but outlook should tell you it can't save the changes because you don't have permission.

It's looking more like a patch as the trigger - and its not necessarily an Exchange patch that is at fault.

I just spent 2 days trying to figure out a problem on Exchange 2010 - after a windows update reboot, Forefront failed, which broke Exchange. 99% of the errors were in Exchange so I spent most of the time trying to solve it in Exchange when all i needed to do was disable forefront. I don't know if the update broke it or if it was broken but ran until the reboot... but it was frustrating to solve. As soon as i got rid of forefront, all of the Exchange errors went away.

Found the reason - an Outlook COM add-in that we developed. When I uninstall it, the problem goes away. I read that it's not releasing the appointment item in memory. What's strange is that we haven't updated the add-in since at least six months ago but the problem has only surfaced now. I'll have to go through the code line-by-line. Not fun.

Thanks for your help.

Yeap. That will do it - and the reason is exactly as you stated - its not releasing the item from memory. You need to use objectName = nothing soemwhere after the addin does whatever it does - you would normally release the objects at the end of the code but not knowning how it works, you may have to do it earlier in the code.

And BTW, mostly for anyone finding this thread since you solved it - the best first step is always to try safe mode. It's quick and easy and does no harm.

If outlook works as expected in safe mode, the problem is an addin or corrupt support file.

To use Safe mode: Close Outlook. Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.)

Status
Not open for further replies.