Problem with fix for "Too Many Contact Folders"

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.reid

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I followed the instruction from OutlookTips for moving unwanted contacts folders to a special group in order to hide them. I was able to successfully create the new folder group, move the unwanted contacts folders into it, and minimize it. Nice, so far. The problem is that every time I choose Contacts from the navigation pane, the new folder group (along with all the others) is automatically expanded - it will not remain collapsed as I left it when I last viewed it. I would like to configure Outlook to NOT automatically expand folder groups, but rather, preserve the state in which I last put them.

Is this possible?

Thank you

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
When you change folders: They should stay closed as long as one of the contact folders you want to use is selected. If one of the folders in a collapsed group is selected, the group will open.

When you close and reopen Outlook: they may or may not stay collapsed. If Outlook closes cleanly, it should remember the last used settings. In my experience, it helps if all of the folders are closed in the Folder list.

bereid

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thank you, that did help, mostly. I collapsed the group containing the folders I want to hide, and then selected a folder in the non-hidden group. Then, when I switched to the Mail view, and back to the Contacts view, the hidden group remained collapsed!

However, when I closed Outlook, and launched it again, the first time I selected Contacts view from the navigation pane, all of the folder groups were again expanded - it didn't preserve the state it was in when I closed Outlook. That's not the behavior I would hope for, but perhaps there's nothing for it?

Thanks again for the advice.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I don't know the trick to make it open collapsed - In my experience, it sometimes opens collapsed, sometimes not. I know that they open expanded when Windows forces outlook closed to reboot after installing updates - Outlook doesn't close cleanly and many settings are not remembered unless it closes cleanly.

Status
Not open for further replies.