How to completely and permanently deleting a POP3 Account in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert Noble

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Standalone Win 7 PC. Outlook 2010. Had created several POP3 accounts. Just tried todelete the original default account after ensuring all its folders were empty,etc. Went through normal procedure formodifying/deleting an account. Then checkedmy list of POP3 accounts (via modify/delete procedure). The account had beenremoved from the list. A new default account shown. Hooray.

However whenever I open Outlook Mail the ‘deleted’ accountremains there, at the top of the list, taunting me with its empty unwanted folders etc. Weep.

How do I permanentlydelete that account?

It's not the account but the account's data file. Go back into File, Account Settings - Data File tab and set the new data file as default. You may not be able to remove it right away but will be able to once you are back in outlook - right click on the account name part and choose Close.

It's not the account but the account's data file. Go back into File, Account Settings - Data File tab and set the new data file as default. You may not be able to remove it right away but will be able to once you are back in outlook - right click on the account name part and choose Close.

Many thanks Diane. Here’s a supplementary. (If it should beposted separately let me know.) Want to change an account name in Outlook 2010on my standalone PC. Have attempted to change name via File, Account settings, ‘Change name by which Account is known’. It continuesto appears in my Outlook Mail window with the old name. Can I just rename the .pstData File or could that have unwanted side effects. (Outlook is used solely forsending and receiving POP3 mail and for no other purpose or service).

Outlook 2010 is goofy - it's difficult to get the name changed in the navigation pane. I did it once - by removing the account, adding it back through the Control panel, mail applet and changing the name before restarting outlook. You might be able to change it in the registry too - but I haven't tried it, mostly because after using outlook 2010 and seeing the email addresses for awhile, I kinda like them over other display names. I eventually removed the one I changed and added it back so the email address was listed again. <g>

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I've gone into the Data File and tried to set the new data file (IMAP email account that replaced POP) as the default but when I click on that data file the "Set as Default" option goes gray and is not selectable. Is there something else I need to do? Thank you.

Additionally, my calendar, journal, notes, RSS Feed, suggested contacts are still under that original POP3 email address. How do I transfer them to the new IMAP email address.

FYI: Basically, I just switched from POP3 to IMAP, keeping the same email address. This was necessary in order to get email on my Microsoft Surface and in the Windows 8 mail app on my PC. Should I just keep my Outlook email as POP3 to avoid this whole mess?

That is because you are using IMAP - you can't set the IMAP data file as default in Outlook 2010 and older. You need a pst file in the profile and it needs to be the default data file.

You could keep using POP3 in Outlook... it's really up to you, but most people with multiple devices prefer imap because changes (deleted, read state) sync to all of the devices.

Configure and Use IMAP Accounts - Slipstick Systems

That is because you are using IMAP - you can't set the IMAP data file as default in Outlook 2010 and older. You need a pst file in the profile and it needs to be the default data file.

You could keep using POP3 in Outlook... it's really up to you, but most people with multiple devices prefer imap because changes (deleted, read state) sync to all of the devices.

Configure and Use IMAP Accounts - Slipstick Systems

I received the Microsoft Surface for Christmas which does not support POP3, only IMAP and EAS. Could I run POP3 on my laptop and IMAP on my mobile devices? Or, do I all of my devices have to pull email from the same server? Thanks so much for your help. I've been messing with this all day today.

Yes, you can use POP3 on Outlook and IMAP on the devices. Unless your ISP is weird, it's one server/one mailbox - the isp has both POP3 and IMAP available for users to choose from. You can mix-and-match - and many people with smartphones do use imap on the phone and pop3 in Outlook.

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful. Problems solved. I can now LOVE my Surface and Outlook on my laptop. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.