Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I've got a client using Office 2003 and some of his incoming messages are not coming in properly. What would cause this? Thanks in advance

-----Original Message---

Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:03 AM

Subject: Fw: Kodak Moments

Return-Path: <
Received: from smtp58.gate.dfw1a (smtp58.gate.dfw1a..net

[172.20.100.58])
by mail93a.mail.dfw..com (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id

18E797EA0C1
for <>; Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

X-Virus-Scanned: OK

X-MessageSniffer-Scan-Result: 0

X-MessageSniffer-Rules: 0-0-0-32767-c

X-CMAE-Scan-Result: 0

X-CNFS-Analysis: v=1.0 c=1 a=BL_8J5NVIHIA:10 a=f8_S3n9t2uQA:10

a=GHWA33xyjU8A:10 a=oJL9TIRMo0YA:10 a=gM0gOzDH9NYzeWJaj5AEqw==:17

a=Q0_0SgYODxzC2CL85pEA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=CjxXgO3LAAAA:8

a=voQ5NDB77ZnO85b_P1gA:9 a=2Y40bczaX5l_E3QYK8YA:7 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10

a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=efPaN_kosILTJIW9354A:9 a=1Vq_FK4TplAA:10

a=fTiqawbkUhJDPAPww5MA:9

Received: from [173.203.2.22] ([173.203.2.22:36382] helo=smtp36.gate.ord1a)
by smtp58.gate.dfw1a..net (envelope-from <>)
(ecelerity 2.2.3.49 r(42060/42061)) with ESMTPS (cipher=AES256-SHA)
id B7/CB-03596-2BB647F4; Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:03:32 -0400

X-Spam-Threshold: 95

X-Spam-Score: 0

X-Spam-Flag: NO

X-Virus-Scanned: OK

X-MessageSniffer-Scan-Result: 0

X-MessageSniffer-Rules: 0-0-0-32767-c

X-CMAE-Scan-Result: 0

X-CNFS-Analysis: v=1.0 c=1 a=f8_S3n9t2uQA:10 a=GHWA33xyjU8A:10

a=oJL9TIRMo0YA:10 a=gM0gOzDH9NYzeWJaj5AEqw==:17 a=Q0_0SgYODxzC2CL85pEA:9

a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=CjxXgO3LAAAA:8 a=voQ5NDB77ZnO85b_P1gA:9

a=2Y40bczaX5l_E3QYK8YA:7 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10

a=GVyQSzYeUiSjKP0hCBkA:9 a=1Vq_FK4TplAA:10 a=LPqoQnbzXrL7kPDNW0cA:9

X-Orig-To:

X-Originating-Ip: [98.138.89.198]

Received: from [98.138.89.198] ([98.138.89.198:40781]

helo=omp1056.mail.ne1.yahoo.com)
by smtp36.gate.ord1a..net (envelope-from <>)
(ecelerity 2.2.3.49 r(42060/42061)) with ESMTP
id AD/32-11385-FAB647F4; Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:03:29 -0400

Received: (qmail 38667 invoked by uid 1000); 29 Mar 2012 14:03:27 -0000

Received: (qmail 77349 invoked by uid 60001); 29 Mar 2012 14:03:26 -0000

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024;

t=1333029804; bh=KqtZgrTjFsm/Zw49WBIhmxh3+OjuOGKNm2u12R8y3UY=;

h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Sub

ject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=TgtPiGOREBJS3f601ASAjAadN8FhgbpFD1WYdRwTvEWQ8xs69liFwYWb+LKyxR88ue1ZtzNPUT

uhSeq1cd+1II0/JfACiWL3/fTNGzZEdMdnrIXi19SS6VxPcVJdMJXvo6YAGqr8adSQdAQmWUW5mE

BvqRqF9D/6o1rSm1rk7vs=

DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Sub

ject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

That is all in the message body? That means the message is getting corrupted - what antivirus do you use? Security and content scanners can cause it.

Is he using POP3 too? We've seen issues like this with certain imap servers too.

Yes this is all in the message body. That's not even all of it. I couldn't put it all in becuase of the forum's charatcer limit. The account is POP3. Antivirus is Symantec Endpoint Protection.

It's probably SEP, we see a lot of issues that scanner. You could try testing it by opening outlook in safe mode but it will only work for new messages, existing messages will not be fixed.

Why would it only have issues with that one client? All the computers are running the same version of SEP, and about 80% have Office 2003, but this is the only client I have issues with.

It's probably SEP, we see a lot of issues that scanner. You could try testing it by opening outlook in safe mode but it will only work for new messages, existing messages will not be fixed.

Are you running it client side or just server side?

Are all his messages goofy or just some? Does he have any addins the others don't?

We've seen it affect only some people and testing in safe mode will help us know if its an addin and can help clear SEP or point the finger at it. :) Only new messages will be affected, so he needs to in safe mode until he can repro, if all messages are not affected.

It could be a bad virus update or something else.

Are you running it client side or just server side?

Are all his messages goofy or just some? Does he have any addins the others don't?

We've seen it affect only some people and testing in safe mode will help us know if its an addin and can help clear SEP or point the finger at it. :) Only new messages will be affected, so he needs to in safe mode until he can repro, if all messages are not affected.

It could be a bad virus update or something else.

Am I running what client vs. server side? SEP?? I've got SEP installed on a Domain controller that downloads and sends the updates to the clients. Office is install on client per clinet basis. It's not affecting all messages, just a few. It's not always from the same sender either. I"m not sure if he's running any extra add-ins. I'll take a look and see what add-ins are running.

Do whatever he does when its broken. <g> If the bad mail comes on a send/receive, do a send receive and see if any is bad. It would be easier if it's something that is easily repro'd, like if it was always mail from one sender, but since its not, he'll need to run in safe mode for a few hours or until he gets a bad message.

All addins are disabled. Some customizations are not loaded, the navigation pane is the most noticeable but other customizations will also be missing.

So the only 2 add-ins were: Symantec Antivirus Outlook protections & Exhcange extensions property pages. All other systems that have the same OS (Windows 7) and running Office 2003 had these same 2 add-ins

So after switching to safe mode, he received no messages that were goofy. However this morning, when he went open open Outlook, it would not accept his password. Closing and opening back in safe mode works, not normally.

Is that a password on the pst file or for his email account?

Safe mode wouldn't affect either password, but it could be a clue to the problem: either some corruption in the pst or in his profile. Either makes sense since he is the only one affected. I would probably start with a new profile... but the choice is yours.

Is that a password on the pst file or for his email account?

Safe mode wouldn't affect either password, but it could be a clue to the problem: either some corruption in the pst or in his profile. Either makes sense since he is the only one affected. I would probably start with a new profile... but the choice is yours.

I'm not sure if it's tied to the pst file or just his email account. I know that this has been an ongoing issue for several months. I even tried uninstalling office and reinstalling.

Uninstalling/reinstalling rarely fixes problems.

I'm not 100% sure where the problem is - it could also be with his windows profile, but I like to try everything else first, before going to the hassle of creating a new windows account.

We know the addin is the likely cause since it worked in safe mode. Something is wrong because his password didn't work in normal mode (assuming he did not mistype it). This leads me to think its the outlook profile... but the anti-virus addin could have corrupted the data file. It's not a typical problem though - they just mess with the data as it comes in... for these reasons, I'd try a new outlook profile first. Keep the old profile until you see if the problems are solved as rebuilding a profile is a hassle too.

Uninstalling/reinstalling rarely fixes problems.

I'm not 100% sure where the problem is - it could also be with his windows profile, but I like to try everything else first, before going to the hassle of creating a new windows account.

We know the addin is the likely cause since it worked in safe mode. Something is wrong because his password didn't work in normal mode (assuming he did not mistype it). This leads me to think its the outlook profile... but the anti-virus addin could have corrupted the data file. It's not a typical problem though - they just mess with the data as it comes in... for these reasons, I'd try a new outlook profile first. Keep the old profile until you see if the problems are solved as rebuilding a profile is a hassle too.

When this problem first arose many months ago, one of the first things I tried was deleting and creating a new profile. Did not fix the problem.

In that case, I would try scanpst… but will likely need a new windows profile.

Unless the problem is a bad SEP update. If you haven't uninstalled SEP and reinstalled it, try that. Delete all folders it uses before reinstalling.

In that case, I would try scanpst… but will likely need a new windows profile.

Unless the problem is a bad SEP update. If you haven't uninstalled SEP and reinstalled it, try that. Delete all folders it uses before reinstalling.

So I ran scanpst, and now Outlook opened up just fine in normal mode. It remembered the password like it should. So now we wait and see if that fixed the issues with the messages. I will reoprt back when I have more info to share

Fingers crossed that it works. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.