right click outlook objects in OL2010 acts on current inbox mailitem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluphoto

Cryptic title, I know. sorry about that.

See below my outlook today page, which I use as a dashboard for outlook 2010.

Capture.jpg

As you can see, at the top of the page I have my inbox, with some href links in table cells to the right.

The next row holds my personal tasks, with shared team tasks to the right.

The last row holds my personal calendar, with shared team calendar to the right.

I used this today page in outlook 2003 with no major problems. If I wanted to create a new appointment in a calendar, or forward a task to someone, all I had to do was right click on the item in question, and select "new appointment" or "forward". In outlook 2003, the new appt window would then appear filled with the date/time where I had right clicked, or the new mail item would open, with the task in question attached.

Now in 2010, although the right click context menu's know I'm clicking on a task object, or a calendar object, the resulting actions don't seem to act on the item in question. Instead, they act on the "current" mailtem selected in my inbox.

So right clicking a task, and saying "mark as complete" does nothing to the task. Instead, the selected mailitem in my inbox suddenly gets "maked as complete"! Calendar appointments are created, but at the current date/time only, rather than where I right clicked. More worryingly, trying to "delete" a task actually deletes the currently selected inbox mailitem (which in some instances has gone unnoticed, until I noticed that the task was still there).

I have resorted to opening each task by double clicking on it, and then performing an action on it from the task window, or creating an appointment by double-clicking on the time/date required.

Is this change in context menu behaviour intentional?

PS: While editing my today page code, I noticed that if I happened to put a tasks object first in the code (ie before the inbox) then my preview pane would show only tasks instead of emails. I changed that back without much more testing, but I guess this means that all actions would probably have acted on my current task in that case, even if I was trying to perform that action on my mailitem.

thanks

Guy

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
They keep tweaking the security for folder home pages and view control but I wasn't aware they messed it more than that. Ill see if I can repro it with a demo page here, but I might need a copy of your home page code to repro it.

bluphoto

you can probably get the calendar object code from my other post, but I can forward the full code with inbox, links and tasks objects to you tomorrow when I get back to work.

Your assistance is very much appreciated Diane

bluphoto

So I guess what I cut and pasted from the internet (and then fidled about a bit with) is called the "view control", and each object I have on my today page is an instance of a view control.

I'm not sure if it tells me specifically why the above is happening, but as the viewctrl has an "activefolder" property, I'm guessing that is set by default to the first instance on the page (which is why in my case, actions are always defaulting to my inbox mailitems).

It looks from that ms article like there are several commands / methods / propoerties and events which I can use to manage these viewctrl's - though at the moment I am not sure where to start.

Is this like some sort of scripting language I use in the home page HTML, or somethig I do in VBA?

Do you know of a good (basic level) reference for learning about these viewctrls; how to implement them in code etc?

many thanks

Guy

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yes, it does still apply - with the exception of some security changes, Outlook 2000/2002 articles will apply as well. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff869622.aspx for more info about the control. (I thought the article I posted yesterday also linked to some 2002/2000 articles but I don't see them today. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Right click to delete will crash Outlook Using Outlook 2
B Trying to restore data in Outlook and I get an error message to update the profile but when I click OK it takes me right out Using Outlook 7
J Outlook 2010 Crashes when right click from email Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2000 wizard tries to start when I right-click to email an item from a folder--have Outlook 2007 upgrade installed Using Outlook 1
W Windows 7 + Outlook 2007 - right click context menu not working Using Outlook 1
W Outlook folder rename (right click 'rename' option) issue Using Outlook 9
williamlambton Reinstate "Open" button on mail item right-click context menu. Outlook Wishlist 2
Emerogork How do I remove "Delete Folder" from the right-click menu? Using Outlook 1
L Add to Right Click Menu Using Outlook 10
B Right click-drag no longer creates hyperlinks Using Outlook 2
S How to add a new menu item to a right click context menu of a link Using Outlook 5
P "open" command in right click context menu Outlook Wishlist 4
M right click contact to create an appointment Using Outlook 4
M Right Click > Send to Mail Recipient, has no effect__Other programs cannot access the email client Using Outlook 3
S Cannot send document as email by right click and send as email Using Outlook 1
G Right-Click Delete Occurrence Deletes Entire Series Using Outlook 1
S Can't copy the items. You don't have permission to create an entry in this folder. Right-click the f Using Outlook 1
C Cannot delete this folder. right-click the folder and click properties to check your permissions to Using Outlook 2
F Right mouse click drop down menu to add sender to blocked list does not work. Using Outlook 2
W Right click context menus like preview, open, save as, print etc are not working with windows 7 + Ou Using Outlook 1
L Adding a contact with right click Using Outlook 14
Z Right click menu Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
N Right-click an address -> add to BCM? [OL2007] BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
V Can't create file : Document.pdf. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then cl Using Outlook 30
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How can I change the font size on right side appointment pane Using Outlook 2
C Set reminder / appointment by right clicking email Using Outlook 1
C how to remove icons on right hand side outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
T Forwarded long email moves text to the right Using Outlook 1
E Inbox view changed can't get it right Using Outlook 0
A viewing tasks - lower right - in email window Using Outlook 1
I Notification/Popup Box not showing on right side Using Outlook 1
B want to change the calendar format so that it goes from left to right Sunday - Saturday instead of monday - sunday Using Outlook 2
B Having issues with the 'look' of Office 2010. Does not look right? Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 difficulty choosing the right contacts in the address book Using Outlook 2
R Reading Pane text appearing all the way to the right... Using Outlook 1
Q Don't have right permissions to assign "send as" rights in Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 7
B When I try to compose a new message, the window that popped out is hidden on the right side of the screen, only maximize will centralize it, is there Using Outlook 3
I Outlook 2010- when I hover over a contact the right name appears for a second and then gets replaced Using Outlook 2
B Is it the right place for BCM2010? repaired but not working... Using Outlook 4
J When I compose an email in Plain Text, the default alignment is set to the right. How do I change it Using Outlook 1
X ISINTEG.EXE Doesnt seem to be quite right, any advice Exchange Server Administration 5
N Re: Outlook needs account access permission to open but doesnt work right after that. Using Outlook 2
M Will Microsoft ever get it right. Using Outlook 1
J The server cannot service this request right now. Try again later Exchange Server Administration 2
B OWA lets people copy the screen of an RMS protected email - is this right? Exchange Server Administration 8
T Tools, Options, Mail Set-Up Icons to the RIGHT are displayed too large Using Outlook 4
S printing e-mails with embedded pictures truncates on right side Using Outlook 11
D E-mails don't delete right away. Exchange Server Administration 3
A edit right pane of mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 15
N Adding 'Add To Business Contacts' when right-clicking an email add BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2