Stop mail checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanGreen

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Background: I manage a number of email accounts. Right now I have 8. One I need to check mail on a regular basis thought the day. This works fine. However, some accounts I only need to check once a week or once a month. However, On starting Outlook it always prompts me for the password for each account and then it checks the mail. It is very annoying and time consuming to type 8 passwords each time I start Outlook.

Question: Is there an option some place to tell Outlook to not check some accounts for mail until I want to? For example, I would go in to one account only once a month.

Thanks,

Stan Green

Go to Send and Receive Settings (Ctrl+alt+S) - select the default send and receive group and deselect the 7 accounts. Go back out the the dialog and add a new group, selecting the 7 and configuring the group. You'll need to check this group manually but can do it from the Send/Receive ribbon.

Thanks Diane. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get this to work 100% as you describe it. It seems to work for POP accounts but not IMAP accounts. I have tried multiple combinations of settings and different group configurations. Each time, all accounts that are IMAP prompt for a password. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stan

IMAP accounts are weird, but it should work for the S/R groups - if you view an imap folder, then it will check them for sure. Did you try unchecking the imap accounts completely?

I assume by "weird" you mean Outlook does not play nicely with IMAP! Yes, I have tried putting them in a S/R group, not in a group. I have tried every option and combination I can think of. No change. I am not viewing the IMAP accounts. I'm thinking there is an issue with how Outlook handles IMAP and I'm just stuck. Bummer.

I'm not sure play nicely is the right phrase, but yes, i meant how Outlook handles IMAP, not imap itself. It's not always Outlook's fault (like with gmail) but Outlook doesn't make things easy either. Outlook 2010 is a big improvement compared to IMAP support in older versions, but it's not close to taking over the title of 'best imap client ever'. I'll try to repro and see if i can figure something out, but with only 2 imap accounts (one is gmail), i'm not sure I'll have much luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A How to stop user form from disapearing once mail window is closed? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
L How Stop Outlook Nag Messages Using Outlook 1
G Stop Outlook 365 adding meetings to calendar Using Outlook 1
L Emails being archived when I press the A key accidentally - how do I stop this? Using Outlook 0
P How can I stop Outlook 365 duplicating the posts? Using Outlook 1
J how to stop junk emails from *.onmicrosoft.com ? Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2016 Outlook Error Msg "The operation cannot be performed ..." How to Stop it Using Outlook 4
T "Words In Recipient's Address" Rule Causes Outlook To Stop Processing Rules Using Outlook 3
Y Outlook 2013 Stop Outlook from automatically assigning categories to Tasks Using Outlook 0
D Any updates or fixes that would make this code stop working just moving emails to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Outlook 2016 call to Stop Timer Event Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S stop calendar date reverting to today Using Outlook 7
B Contacts just stop syncing, yesterday... Using Outlook 4
O Stop more than one person responding to an email? Using Outlook 1
A Stop Rule (not turn off) that Delays Outgoing Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Can't stop Outlook.com from setting reminders on appointments? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
D Stop meeting acceptance notifications Using Outlook 1
J it goes like outlook has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, wi Using Outlook 2
makinmyway Research Pane in Emails Turns on and Cut Paste Keys then Stop Working Using Outlook 5
J How to Stop OutLook from being Installed Using Outlook 1
A Exchange 2003 how to stop accepting EHLO and AUTH commands Exchange Server Administration 2
M Outlook 2010 IMAP rules occasionaly stop working Using Outlook 4
C How to stop iCloud calendars opening by default Using Outlook 8
icacream outlook 2007 - how do I stop spacing when I hit return ? Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2007 SSL selfsigned certificate how to stop security popup everytime? Using Outlook 10
Y How do you stop double booking? Using Outlook 1
Commodore Why some RSS feeds stop getting updates? Using Outlook 12
N Rules stop running automatically Using Outlook 10
M Can you stop "Microsft Office Outlook is synchronizing folders"? Using Outlook 2
C stop messages to personal folders Using Outlook 2
M Why rules stop running automatically? Using Outlook 1
J Stop Outlook 2010 from showing face pictures in From/To/Cc/Subject box Using Outlook 2
S Shared Calendar Need To Stop Receiving Other Peoples Reminders Using Outlook 3
R Stop Double Booking Rooms Using Outlook 3
C stop facebook? Using Outlook 16
A How do I get Outlook to stop adding a "+1" in front of a telephone number that has an extension. Using Outlook 13
L Outlook inbox is "always in front". How to stop that? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M Stop Search folders from disabling every 1-2 days? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N VBA Procedure (or Macro) to Stop Outlook from Closing? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Stop ribbon item tool tip text from wrapping? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Stop automatic opening BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C How to stop replies in thier tracks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A stop outlook reminders generated through BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
L Error when exporting Sent Mail to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
X Run macro automatically when a mail appears in the sent folder Using Outlook 5
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
L Help: set flag for sent mail to check if received an answer Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Macro Mail Alert Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i MY Outlook 2021 changed the format of the shortcuts for mail, calendar etc. Using Outlook 10