Status
Not open for further replies.

wisedave

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello all,

I have decided to move my email service from my current host to Liquid Web (where I am going to also host a Word Press site).

I don't know where to begin! LW has cPanel and also has my domain set up.

What is the process to move from one host to another? I was told I had to set up my 'new' email accounts in at LW cPanel. So basically I need to replicate all of my old email addresses (about 10 in total for the business although half of them I have forwared to me). I can manage that part ok.

What I am having difficulty with is what do I tell my old host to do? I don't want to loose any emails. At what point does my Liquid Web take 100% control of my emails and the other company is out of the picture?

Thanks for any help and direction,

Dave

Set up the mailboxes at the new host.

Set up the new account(s) in Outlook. [see note below] Keep the old accounts in Outlook for now.

Do you control the DNS for your domain? If so, edit the DNS so it points the new server. (LW can tell you what to configure - they may just have you change the name servers). If you don't control it, you need to tell the host or whoever controls it to change the dns.

Allow 48 hours before removing the old accounts from outlook.

After 48 hours or when no more mail comes to the new account, you can cancel the old host.

Note: Are you using POP3 or IMAP? If it's POP3, you can set the new account to deliver to the existing pst files. If you use IMAP you can drag the old mail to the new mail folders.

Note: Are you using POP3 or IMAP? If it's POP3, you can set the new account to deliver to the existing pst files. If you use IMAP you can drag the old mail to the new mail folders.

Hey Larry,

We all use POP3 accounts. I do have access to Plesk for the 'old' hosts....the new one is cPanel.

I am not sure where to go in Plesk to change anything or if I have to ask them to do something.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

The backend (plesk/cpanel) doesn't matter for Outlook. Set up the accounts in cpanel, then configure Outlook to download the mail and point the accounts to the pst files you are using now. You don't need to do anything on the old host.

Who is your domain registrar? Once the accounts are configured you need to change the DNS records. Until the dns records are changed, the mail will go to the old host.

Who is your domain registrar? Once the accounts are configured you need to change the DNS records. Until the dns records are changed, the mail will go to the old host.

Hello,

My current registrar is 2020Media here in the UK. Do I have the ability to change the DNS records via Plesk or is that something where they may not give me that kind of access?

Many thanks,

Dave

It's not something normally done in plesk, AFAIK. Did you buy the domain through 2020Media?

I use godaddy myself and log into godaddy and change the name servers if i'm letting my webhost also host the DNS.

It's not something normally done in plesk, AFAIK. Did you buy the domain through 2020Media?

I use godaddy myself and log into godaddy and change the name servers if i'm letting my webhost also host the DNS.

Hello,

I purchased it from Quantum Web Solutions here in the UK, but recently transfered it to 2020Media.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

you'll need to contact them to change the DNS. Do it after you have the accounts set up with the new host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
L Moving Message Class email via script and Rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O Inbox Search Results won't update when deleting or moving an email Using Outlook 12
U Moving Email to Folder Depending on content Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Reply to Outlook messages by moving messages to a specific Outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Moving from 2010 to 365 Using Outlook 3
O Moving "tasks" to inbox in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
F Moving Outlook to new PC Using Outlook 0
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
A Moving Public Folders to New Database Exchange Server Administration 3
glnz Moving from Outlook 2003 to MS365 Outlook - need basics Using Outlook 4
E Having some trouble with a run-a-script rule (moving mail based on file type) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F Moving Contacts to New Profile Using Outlook 0
J Moving Imported folder Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
A .restrict results changing after moving to Exchange online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T I'm thinking about moving from outlook.com to the Outlook I have in my Office 365 Using Outlook 1
L Moving emails with similar subject and find the timings between the emails using outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Moving .OST file location unsuccessful! Using Outlook 6
M Moving mail to another folder is much slower than before (Office365) Using Outlook 0
D Any updates or fixes that would make this code stop working just moving emails to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Moving account, contacts & emails to another H/D with MSOutlook Using Outlook 5
M I'm Having problems Moving Contacts to a New List Using Outlook 8
D Moving Emails Based on Recipient/Sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
S Moving Emails Between Archive Folders Using Outlook 1
P Moving Outlook.pst & archive1.pst Using Outlook 3
A Moving archived contents in Outlook 2007 back into working folders Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Moving Deleted Items Using Outlook 0
O Moving .ost file Using Outlook 12
Diane Poremsky Outlook.com is moving to Office 365! Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Check Contacts before moving them to Hotmail Contacts folder Using Outlook 0
V Problem moving folders Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Moving Outlook to a New Computer Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook Using Outlook 0
M1ck53 Moving Outlook Using Outlook 9
Diane Poremsky Moving an Outlook offline data file (*.ost) Using Outlook 3
D After Moving or Deleting Open Item - Meeting Requests Using Outlook 4
E Moving autoarchive settings to new computer (Outlook 2007) Using Outlook 1
Nick Truscott Lost custom forms after moving mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Moving contacts from ICloud back to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
M which Outlook recommended to buy for moving Outlook 2000 versions Contact Data Using Outlook 2
P Moving PST file questions Using Outlook 3
Klaas "To Address" duplicated when moving msg to another folder Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2013 EAS: moving message causes duplicates Using Outlook 3
C Moving BCM Database to Server Share BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A Moving .msg files back into outlook Using Outlook 2
S automatically moving flagged sent e-mail to a special folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M moving custom field data between outlook and excel? Using Outlook 4