searching a not function

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKSMT

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I just recenctly, thanks to this forum, learned how to search through archived emails for emails between specific dates. And through messing around with that knowledge I learned how to do something I'd always wanted to do, but never gave it a moments thought that it was possible, which is to have simultanious layered searches. So, search for emails from Bill, between these dates, that have the word cat, for example. You do that by seperating each search field with an &, very powerful.

Now I want to see if you can search for emails, that DOESN'T have a certain word. I know its a stab in the dark, but hopefully this can be done. For example, lets say I have a boss thats strict and every email he sends me, is a task to be finished and hes so strict, he ends each email with the phrase "due on XX/XX/XX". Now lets say he, once in his life, years ago sent me a joke email and it was good. Years later I want to search for that email, but I have no memory of it other than he sent it. If I search by his name, tons of emails will appear and even the subject line would not paint any picture so I would have to open up every email he ever sent. Or I could search by his name for emails that don't have the word due and I'd find it easy. Being an excel nerd, I tried "Bill <> due" and that actually searches emails with Bill and due in it (still an example - I'm just sticking to the example for simplicity), exactly the opposite to what I want. Its all I could think, anyone knows if this can be done?

Thanks

That did it, I forgot the ALL CAPS version. Your just have to say "Bill NOT due" and it can be layered too. Beautiful, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Short term workaround for when Outlook searching stopped functioning Using Outlook 0
P How to add a column named categories when searching in Outlook Using Outlook 0
V vBA for searching a cell's contents in Outlook and retrieving the subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
geoffnoakes Outlook 2016 Searching based on CreationTime Using Outlook 3
P Searching tasks that are archived Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 365 Searching all shared calendars Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
O Searching for Custom Flags Using Outlook 3
B Searching for a Add-In Using Outlook 3
J Searching message folder in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
R Problem with searching public folders Exchange 2013/16 Exchange Server Administration 2
C Outlook 2016: Searching in all (+public) folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
Diane Poremsky Searching for Outlook Items in Windows Using Outlook 0
M Searching multiple folders Using Outlook 6
W Searching Flagged Email Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
E Searching a Shared Outlook Mailbox from the start menu? Using Outlook 4
Rijotech Fast searching from:name and date Using Outlook 3
S Searching contacts across GAL and local address book at same time Using Outlook 1
A Searching for text in Contact notes Using Outlook 2
M Searching for categories not in the master category list Using Outlook 3
P Searching By Contact Categories Using Outlook 0
B Searching OWA Additional Mailbox - in which Secondary folder is the email? Using Outlook 1
R Searching emails sent/recieved on a specific date. Using Outlook 2
M Searching Outllook 2010 shared contacts from Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
G CTRL-E is not searching I-cloud contacts Using Outlook 2
M Jolly characters in Outlook 2007 searching Using Outlook 3
E Does Outlook 2010 support searching multiple .pst files simultaneously? Using Outlook 0
D searching Outlook 2010 Calendar Using Outlook 1
X outlook 2007 error when searching Using Outlook 7
T searching for attachments that have a certain "text" in the name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Searching for Data in a custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker Outlook 2019 HELP to get Template Path in a Function Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Outlook saved template function too limited Using Outlook 2
R Creating a user defined function Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Copy to calendar function no longer working in outlook 365 Using Outlook 5
J autocomplete function in custom form Using Outlook 1
A How to assign the value returned by the regex execute function to a variable? Using Outlook 1
B Search function in Office 365 has stopped working Using Outlook 3
T Query About "Delay Delivery" Function Using Outlook 5
M Constant indexing/no search function Using Outlook 0
B Search function "to: ONLY Bob" Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2007 Calendar - Time spinner does not function correctly Using Outlook 1
B The “run a script” function stopped unexpectedly in Outlook2007 Using Outlook 6
E Outlook 2007 backup and restore function Using Outlook 2
R Serach Function Using Outlook 3
S Error from Folder.MoveTo function Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J instr function Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M DASL Filter function? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M DASL Filter function? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Today(S) function in DASL Filter Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Today(S) function in DASL Filter Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1