Searching multiple folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

murgatroyd

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
POP3
I am using Outlook 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

My old emails are in yearly archive PST files, which have the same folder structure as the main PST file.

Is there a way to search for any emails in any folders in any year (i.e., in any open PST file) that contain the search word?

When I set the search option to "Include results only from: Current folder", it works fine, but if I set the search option to "Include results only from: All folders", it does not find anything, even if the search word is in an email in the current folder.

I do not have Windows Desktop Search enabled and am wondering whether this is required for Outlook to search beyond the current folder?

I have a couple of further questions.

I set up Windows Desktop Search, and Outlook correctly searches multiple folders in multiple PST files now.

I did a manual archive of the top folder and all subfolders, with the date set to 1 Jan 2015, which correctly created a yearly archive PST file with the same folder structure as the main PST file, containing all emails from 2014. (I also set the "ArchiveIgnoreLastModifiedTime" parameter in the registry, so it correctly archives by received date, not modified date).

1. The Archive section now contains an empty folder named "&Don't prompt me about this again", but the Delete option is greyed out. (A couple of these folders appeared, but all except this last one could be deleted.) How can I delete this spurious folder?

2. If I do another manual archive next year, with the date set to 1 Jan 2016, and a different archive PST filename, I assume it will again create another PST file with the same folder structure as the main PST file, containing all emails from 2015 (and so on in future years).

Will the folders from 2014 and 2015 (and so on in future years) appear separately within the Archive section (i.e., will there be separate Inbox folders for each open yearly archive PST file), or will they appear combined within the Archive section (i.e., will there be one Inbox folder displaying the merged contents of all the Inbox folders in all open yearly archive PST files)?

1. Hmmm. If the right click Delete folder command isn't live, use MFCMAPI to delete it. (I'm assuming that is a folder you named, not a name Outlook made up - I've seen outlook create weird folder names when using an antivirus plugin, but it was a different name. )

2. Yes, it will recreate the folder structure in use at the time of the archive.

Will the folders from 2014 and 2015 (and so on in future years) appear separately within the Archive section (i.e., will there be separate Inbox folders for each open yearly archive PST file), or will they appear combined within the Archive section (i.e., will there be one Inbox folder displaying the merged contents of all the Inbox folders in all open yearly archive PST files)?
You can do it either way - if you don't create a new pst file for the archive, the old mail will be added to/merged with the mail in the current archive pst. If you want it in a separate pst by year, you'll need to create a new archive pst.

Thanks for your reply. To avoid confusion, I will transfer the two items to separate threads.
- Cannot delete spurious folder
- Archiving by year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Does Outlook 2010 support searching multiple .pst files simultaneously? Using Outlook 0
M Short term workaround for when Outlook searching stopped functioning Using Outlook 0
P How to add a column named categories when searching in Outlook Using Outlook 0
V vBA for searching a cell's contents in Outlook and retrieving the subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
geoffnoakes Outlook 2016 Searching based on CreationTime Using Outlook 3
P Searching tasks that are archived Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 365 Searching all shared calendars Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
O Searching for Custom Flags Using Outlook 3
B Searching for a Add-In Using Outlook 3
J Searching message folder in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
R Problem with searching public folders Exchange 2013/16 Exchange Server Administration 2
C Outlook 2016: Searching in all (+public) folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
Diane Poremsky Searching for Outlook Items in Windows Using Outlook 0
W Searching Flagged Email Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
E Searching a Shared Outlook Mailbox from the start menu? Using Outlook 4
Rijotech Fast searching from:name and date Using Outlook 3
S Searching contacts across GAL and local address book at same time Using Outlook 1
A Searching for text in Contact notes Using Outlook 2
M Searching for categories not in the master category list Using Outlook 3
P Searching By Contact Categories Using Outlook 0
B Searching OWA Additional Mailbox - in which Secondary folder is the email? Using Outlook 1
R searching a not function Using Outlook 2
R Searching emails sent/recieved on a specific date. Using Outlook 2
M Searching Outllook 2010 shared contacts from Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
G CTRL-E is not searching I-cloud contacts Using Outlook 2
M Jolly characters in Outlook 2007 searching Using Outlook 3
D searching Outlook 2010 Calendar Using Outlook 1
X outlook 2007 error when searching Using Outlook 7
T searching for attachments that have a certain "text" in the name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Searching for Data in a custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Select Multiple Graphic Objects Using Outlook 0
Hornblower409 Automatically or Manually Backup Multiple Versions of VbaProject.OTM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Modify VBA to create a RULE to block multiple messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook 365 Multiple different Signatures on Shared Mailbox Using Outlook 0
R Advise on using multiple instances of network files based on customers Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
D multiple email accounts - why do I have to choose the "from" account address?? Using Outlook 2
J Outlook Rules VBA Run a Script - Multiple Rules Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C How to search for items in Outbox with multiple accounts? Using Outlook 20
K How to share multiple calendar items Using Outlook 1
K Multiple copies of task being created Using Outlook 2
S Auto forward for multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K Multiple Rules on Single Email Using Outlook 2
Cathy Rhone gmail listed multiple times Using Outlook 3
H Synchronize contacts and calendars across multiple devices Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2016 Multiple recurring tasks getting created Using Outlook 0
K can't get custom form to update multiple contacts using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Globalforester ItemAdd Macro - multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Multiple calendars Using Outlook 0
C Multiple emails Using Outlook 8
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2