My move to MS is not going too well: Need Help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllReD

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi Guys,

I searched the internet and this forum and still can't get a solution so I'm hoping that someone here can assist me.

My situation:

1. Company Email: IMAP, hosted in house

2. Just migrated from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2013 to connect to company mail: email, calendar, contact all work with no issues.

3. Tablet: Windows 8 PRO ...
3A: Email app will not connect keeps asking for certificate, we are working on this by replace our mail SSL Cert.
3B: Calendar app only works with Outlook.com and Gmail

4. I have a outlook.com account which I use for serious emails and would like to sync my work calendar with outlook.com

Question:

How can I sync my company calendar with my outlook.com email which would then update my win 8 tablet as well?

Side Question:

My phone is Android but I'm assuming I can get an outlook.com app that would take care of mail and calender, am I guessing right?

Thanks guys.

Easy stuff first. :)

Droid: Unless the droid is older, you can configure the outlook.com account as an Exchange ActiveSync account, using m.hotmail.com as the server name.

Outlook.com and Outlook 2013: set up the account in outlook and it should correctly identify it as an EAS account and will sync calendar and contacts. If not, manually create it with the m.hotmail.com address.

How do you get the calendar and contact into Outlook 2007? The win8 calendar app uses ActiveSync to get calendar and contacts, which (in most cases) only outlook.com and gmail support.

Thanks for your response Diane, however I think I may be missing something here.

I can connect my Outlook 2013 with EAS to Outlook.com (no issues here), however it creates a separate data file with its own inbox, calendar and so on. This is not quiet what I had in mind. What I need is for my Outlook 2013 calendar to be sync (up or two way is fine) to my Outlook.com calendar.

I had this working in Outlook 2007 using the "gmail sync connector", but since I am trying to move away from gmail I was hoping to have a similar connector with basic sync options. I tried installing the "Hotmail Connector" but this only works with Outlook 2003 - 2010.

What am I missing here? Is it not possible to sync your Outlook 2013 Calendar (upward, or two way) to your Outlook.com Calendar.

I hope I didn't come across as rude, but this is really frustrating. I was expecting less of a headache since these are all MS Products.

Thanks.

Outlook.com is a separate account. You either need to move the calendar and contacts to it or use a sync utility to keep it and the folders in the local pst in sync. The Hotmail connector works the same way as Outlook 2013 - it creates a separate account/data file.

Sync utilities are listed here - Sharing Outlook Calendar and Contacts without Exchange Server - Slipstick Systems

Hi Diane,

What a complete mess. I've gone through many of the applications in this link and none of them seem to work with Outlook 2013.

The only way I am seeing I can get this to work is to revive my old copy of Outlook 2007 and install the hotmail connector, and syncing to outlook.com. That means I would have purchased a new copy of office only to be taken back 6 years. :(

I was hoping to make use of my gmail but this is also a no-go as its seems Google has stopped support for their outlook-gmail connector.

One possible solution is to sync the calendar between my IMAP pst file and the Outlook.com file in Outlook 2013. I was hoping it was possible to move or have my company Calendar default automatically to the Outlook.com EAS account. I have no idea if this can be done but it seems that until MS builds some sort of outlook.com connector for 2013 you have to manually move data from one pst file over to the outlook.com file.

I honestly cannot believe that such a simple config that most persons rely on to sync data from work has been left out. MS really needs to look into this.

Again if I am missing something please let me know.

My Needs:

Sync company calendar from Outlook 2013 to outlook.com

Thanks.

#Solved (Somewhat).

OK on my last ditch effort I came across this application Sync Outlook.com/Windows Live with Outlook - Sync contacts, calendar and tasks -- CompanionLink Software and installed the demo version.

So far it works with 2 way sync on Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com.

My Win 8 Calendar app on my Thinkpad Tablet 2 was immediately updated and I can create, edit and delete appointments with no issues so far.

The last step is getting my Android Calendar to pull Outlook.com Calendar data.

Thanks for all the help.

Companion link seems to be one of the better options and they recently (like late last week) released an updated version that works with the Windows 8 apps.

I was hoping to make use of my gmail but this is also a no-go as its seems Google has stopped support for their outlook-gmail connector.

Are you using Google Apps account or free Gmail? Google is apparently working on a sync utility that works with Outlook 2013 and there is a hack that supposedly works with the current version (but I have not tried it.) Google expects to release it within "weeks not months".

Are you using Google Apps account or free Gmail? Google is apparently working on a sync utility that works with Outlook 2013 and there is a hack that supposedly works with the current version (but I have not tried it.) Google expects to release it within "weeks not months".

I'm using the free Gmail, the google sync connector apparently is no long available from google. My idea on getting this to work using the default android app is to share by outlook.com calendar with gmail calendar with the hope that andriod will simple pull this down from google. I'll give it a try later.

My other option may be to get a calendar app that will work with outlook.com, not sure whats available.

This version google is working on will it work with their free Gmail or just the paid business ones?

Thanks.

Correct, they ended it for free accounts.

You mean try a calendar app on the droid that works with Outlook.com? Unless its an older droid, it should work with outlook.com - choose Exchange account type and m.hotmail.com as the server name. I forget exactly how long ago droid started supporting EAS, but I believe all droids less than a year or two old support it. (Kindle fire was one of the last to add Exchange support.)

Correct, they ended it for free accounts.

You mean try a calendar app on the droid that works with Outlook.com? Unless its an older droid, it should work with outlook.com - choose Exchange account type and m.hotmail.com as the server name. I forget exactly how long ago droid started supporting EAS, but I believe all droids less than a year or two old support it. (Kindle fire was one of the last to add Exchange support.)

Trying this method as I have one of the older droid, I get as far as selecting what categories to sync (contacts, tasks, calendar) then after about a min of "processing" i get a message saying "Failed to create account, try again later".

If you have any quick ideas as to what may be causing this, feel free. I may just look for a calendar app if this doesnt work out.

The worst part is over for now.

It may be a limitation of the older droids - but if it supports exchange, it should work. Which droid do you have?

It may be a limitation of the older droids - but if it supports exchange, it should work. Which droid do you have?

Stuck on 2.3 with a HTC Desire but upgrade time is around the corner. I tried again this evening but got the same message, my search for a android calendar app isn't going too well either, the Outlook.com app just plain blows.

Not sure if I'm sticking will droid or moving to WP8, Android hardware (Sony Xperia Z, HTC One) looks so much better than WP8 phones but that's for another topic.

The HTC 8X is nice but coming from the blackberry world, I'm less than impressed with windows phones. As I told someone just a few minutes ago:

I can’t even turn it on without fumbling to find the button on the top edge (it should be on the front, either physical button or tap and slide), the volume is always on either 30 or 0 because I can’t lock a volume in options and I hit the volume button pulling it out of my pocket. It only has one volume for everything and custom ringtones are limited to phone calls. I’m stuck with electronic tones that sound too much alike for email and reminders.

And that is not getting into my email complaints. I don't have experience with droids so I can't compare, but BB wins on the email front, hands down.

With the availability of BB10 phones coming up, I'm starting to get BB envy. :)

Back to your problem, according to what little info, I can find, there is a "Outlook + seven app " for the Desire S. The Desire supports Exchange ActiveSyc, so the Outlook.com account should work without an app.

The HTC 8X is nice but coming from the blackberry world, I'm less than impressed with windows phones. As I told someone just a few minutes ago:

And that is not getting into my email complaints. I don't have experience with droids so I can't compare, but BB wins on the email front, hands down.

With the availability of BB10 phones coming up, I'm starting to get BB envy. :)

Back to your problem, according to what little info, I can find, there is a "Outlook + seven app " for the Desire S. The Desire supports Exchange ActiveSyc, so the Outlook.com account should work without an app.

I gave up on getting the EAS to work, its built in, entered all the required info and same error. I went ahead and installed the Outlook + Seven App (ugly looking thing) but it does the job. You get the option to sync contact and calendar and it places your appointments in the default calendar. (i suspect is a 1 way snyc but I'll test later).

To those who have a similar setup, CompanionLink on desktop/laptop and Outlook App on Droid. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.