Status
Not open for further replies.

Muggie

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

I have an issue with some items in a (shared) calendar that I am unable to solve, hopefully someone in this forum can help me or put me in the right direction for a solution.

Situation:

We have a user which is being used as a shared mailbox and calendar resource, especially the calendar is under heavy use with tons of items. When mail for a specific calendar item is received, the content of the mail is copied into that calendar item. A few of these items are not editable anymore, any change to the item (change in date, location, addition to the text field, removal of text or pictures from the text field, ANY change) followed by a save operation is resulting in an Operation Failed error. I have tested it from a number of Outlook sessions (different users) as well as when logged into Outlook with the shared user itself, all give the same error. When I copy out all content into a new item I can save that new item but any change after that followed by a save action is resulting in an Operation Failed error. When I copy out all text and pictures from the item and paste it into a Word document, delete the item, recreate the item, paste the content back in I can save the item but after that any change followed by a save action is resulting in Operation Failed. When I delete everything in the mail item by item to see if any picture or mailaddresss or piece of text is causing this error and after every change I hit save, I get an Operation Failed. When I copy out half (does not matter if it is the first or second half) of the content into a new item all is good, when I put in the other half I can save the item but any change after that followed by a save action is resulting in Operation Failed.

When I copy out the content of the item into a notepad, causing the layout and pictues to disappear, delete the item, recreate the item, copy the notepad content back in I can save the item and any change after that is succesfully saved but loosing the pictures is not an acceptable workaround and no solution.

What the users are doing now as a workaround is fill an item untill the error appears (which does not happen often) and then create a second item with a slightly different name ([continued] in the subject for example) and go on from there but that is only a workaround, not a solution.

I have tested with multiple OS versions (Windows 7 32 and 64 bit)

I have tested with multiple Outlook 2010 versions (32 and 64 bit, dutch and english)

We are in online mode only, no caching is allowed

I have tested in Outlook /safe mode

I ran Outlook in debug mode to see if anything is to be found in the log files

I have gone through all the logs of Outlook, the debug mode, the OS, Exchange

I ran calcheck to see if that would show any error on the calendar

The item is not too big, we have bigger items in the calendar that are working fine (bigger as in more text, bigger as in more pictures, bigger as in bigger size)

The item is created after the Exchange 2003 Exchange 2010 migration so that is ruled out as a cause as well

When these items are edited through webmail however, it IS possible to make any number of changes so that kinda rules out Exchange as a (sole) cause as well.

All things tested and looked at did not give a solution or give me a single clue as where to look for the cause (apart from webmail which is telling me not to look towards Exchange), Outlook only giving an Operation Failed does not help much here either.

Anybody ever ran into this problem ? Any idea is welcome !

Environment:

Exchange 2010 SP2 RU 3

Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2010 SP1

How large are the items that error? It sounds like you are hitting a file size limitation. Appointments would be subject to the same limitations as email messages - recurring meetings are usually the problem because each occurrence can have attachments the user is not aware of.

We have a 10MB limit on mail, the items that are causing problems are 3 to 4 MB, size is ruled out as a cause.

So basically, 2 MB works, 4 mb does not ? It is all test or are pictures and objects included?

Some items are having this issue, the size is in the range of 1 to 4 MB. Text and pixtures are included, what they do is organize a meeting at some point in the future, all mails that are coming in and that are about that meeting are opened, the content is copied (select all - copy) and pasted into the meeting.

I have tested with a newer RU in out test environment and Exchange 2010 SP2 RU 5.2 seems to have solved this problem.

Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.