OUTLOOK 2003 on WinXP, Prob: CONTACTS or ADDRESS BOOK not connected or missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger O

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I used to have a CONTACTS file connected to OUTLOOK 2003 that worked and stored information successfully for some time (but it was several years ago). It's 256KB large, but is that some data or the base empty file?

At this time I have a PAB file that MAY contain information but I can't get it connected to OUTLOOK in a way that I have confidence in the status.

When I attempt to look for the Properties of the CONTACTS listed in OUTLOOK I see the following list:

1. OUTLOOK ADDRESS BOOK

2. ----CONTACTS (indented line)

3. ----CONTACTS (indented line)

4. PERSONAL ADDRESS BOOK

Notice the indent of the two lines above, does this signify that they are both sub files under the title of OUTLOOK ADDRESS BOOK - that is, concatenated as a single functional file of data?

I don't want to bother with segregation of contact type (personal vs business) just one list/file. I want to delete any bad files but I want to connect the PAB files that I have now. I've been able to play with the OPTIONS of the list order or content and ADD a new one. But I can't get it to store new email ID's automatically like I know it can. Except: after entering some test emails I can get suggestions to pop up the next time around - but not saved in the CONTACTS file that is at the top of the list at the time. They are empty! Is this enough info for now?

Thanks

Re: OUTLOOK 2003 on WinXP, Prob: CONTACTS or ADDRESS BOOK not connected or mis

256KB is empty. That is not the pst you used before.

The indents mean they are in the address book. Check the folder list - in outlook, press Ctrl+6 to switch to the folder list and you can see where everything is in relation to the other folders.

Outlook doesn't save addresses to the contacts folder automatically, it saves the addresses to the autocomplete list and they'll come up when you start typing a name. See automatically add addresses to contacts for more information.

Diane: Thank you very much for this information. I'm going to look it all over very carefully and get back in a couple of days. If this solves these problems, I have more configuration issues to raise. I have been living with problems for a very long time. Thanks again. Roger O

OK now..... Items in order... 1) First of all I tried the function you mentioned (several times) of "CTRL+6" and I couldn't get it to do anything. I did it from different locations. Meaning, I put the cursor on the CONTACTS folder in the list of folders, also INBOX folder, also in a NEW MESSAGE, and other places.... I couldn't get a response from pressing that combination. Was it supposed to be something else?

But that answer was related to my question about the PAB file and Address Books in general. In my fiddling around, I found out where I could effect the Address Book list. I pressed the Address Book Icon in the toolbar of the main OUTLOOK window and another window popped up called Address Book. On that window I chose the menu option of TOOLS | OPTIONS and got the ADDRESSING window up. This allowed set some things and allowed me to ADD a new item. In the Properties window I called it Personal Address Book and pointed it to the file that I mentioned of my PAB file in the directory where I keep the PST file too. BTW, I found out how to point OUTLOOK to my own directory for that PST file. I like to keep all my data files in my own Partition and subdirectory structure so I can back them up as desired. Now, on that same little window I made sure that this name was the new item specified as the one to "show first" in the list, and on the next field that it was where I want to "keep personal addresses in". On the last field (which is a listbox) is an item called CONTACTS. The message above is "when sending mail...check names using these address lists in the following order:". But, this is were all the confusion starts. The Properties button of that CONTACTS item shows that the file connected to it is the Personal Folders of my file???? Why doesn't it say the PAB file that I want to point to? I know this is going to be the issue later in this process.

This may explain something that I have just seen.

I began to experiment with your response of "people usually just add a new name to the contacts by using the right-click process". This has merit as you suggest so that not too many addresses get added indiscrimanantly. I thought that was the way it worked many years ago because I didn't know much about the right-click process. And I used OUTLOOK at work for many years too. Now back to the issue with the contacts that I created.

LOOK at next message – it was too long previously….

Continuation of previous item.....p2

a) When I press the cursor on the CONTACTS folder in the left hand list of all the Personal Folders in my PST file, I get a window that shows all the entered names that I right-clicked on in new email messages. Just it should.

b) When I type a couple of letters of a name in the "find a contact" field in the toolbar, and press enter key I get a response - either an intermeadiate window called CHOOSE CONTACT that shows if there is multiple hits on those letters - or go directly to the hit in the contacts. Showing all the information for the hit. Just as it should, and it also keeps a list of the hits in this drop down list.

c) But when I left-click on the little Address Book icon next to the entry field, I get a window called "ADDRESS BOOK". It shows a list of names having nothing to do with any letters in the little entry field. In my case, the information that is shown are names that I entered a couple of days earlier when I didn't know how to configure it to this point. I don't know where they are being held (what file) and if I click on one of those names it brings up a completely different set of windows to edit or look at the hit. And these windows DO NOT resemble the previously mentioned address book windows. BTW - When I choose the menu item TOOLS | Address Book I get the same window of names (garbage) that has been showing up.

d) When in a new message window - if I press the Address Book icon in the toolbar of that window I get a new response. It is called "Select Names". This one also shows the same as the bogus window in "C)". It shows the two garbage names also.

Well now - the obvious answer at this point is that the REAL contacts is being kept in the CONTACTS folder in the folders list on the left of the OUTLOOK window. It's being updated either by direct entry or the right-click method. I can see this. But HOW did my configuring process NOT get it into the proper PAB file? During this adding of names I noticed that the date/time of the physical PAB file did not changed in unison with my entering of new names. It hasn't changed in about 3 hours during this process I'm testing.

With a final test of adding a new name - at the point of the SAVE and CLOSE of that new name - the date/time changed on the PST file! And I didn't add the complete new message too. Hooray I found the location of the names. Great their in the PST file and I don't have to back them up separately. But I thought they were in a special file. Confusion.....

2) I'll ask my next question after I do some more testing on the process that is not working.

Thanks for your attention Diane. Roger O

when sending mail...check names using these address lists in the following order:"[/B]. But, this is were all the confusion starts. The Properties button of that CONTACTS item shows that the file connected to it is the Personal Folders of my file???? Why doesn't it say the PAB file that I want to point to? I know this is going to be the issue later in this process.

This is because the pab is discontinued. It will still open in 2003 but contacts folder is the new default for saving contacts.

Ctrl+6 opens the folder list, it sounds like you were in it already - it makes it easier to see where the folders are, especially if you use subfolders, while the individual navigation panes don't.

c) that is the address book and it contains only contacts with electronic addresses, so you won't see all contacts in it.

These two screenshots show the contact options

the first is outlook, the contacts folder and the Address book with one contact - the only contact with an email address.

contact-pab-outlook.png

The second screenshot is of an Outlook contact (billy) and a personal address book contact (mary).

contact-pab.png

d) that is the correct dialog for outlook 2003 - its the address book window and should have the same contacts as you see when you press the Address book icon. (In 2007, it looks more like the Address book window. )

I highly recommend importing the pab into Contacts so you only have one file to back up - you'll be able ot see the contacts in the contacts folder and all will use the same form.

I'm not sure what the garbage contacts are - if the Show names from window says 'contacts' they are in your contacts folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.