Should I switch to IMAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm trying to decide if I should switch to IMAP to solve the issue of old format vs new (2010) pst file format. I just got bit by the limited file size with the old format. I know with 2010 I can create a new profile and it will create a new pst for me (in the new format) and I can then import everything to it, but I wonder if IMAP would fix that issue and also provide a built-in backup solution too.

The thing is, I do not meet any of the criteria for which IMAP was invented. My MO is pure POP with a single desktop reading ATT/Yahoo email, period; No other devices in play. If I want to check email from a hotel (very rare), I can login to my Yahoo acct. I'm hesitant to switch to a more complex and exotic system with perhaps some unintended consequences. For example, after converting my wife's laptop to IMAP after the acquisition of an iPad, we have had intermittent and very annoying spates of warning messages about the IMAP connection closing due to a time out after only seconds of idle time. This will continue for weeks, then suddenly stop, only to reappear a week later. Also, with IMAP, is it easier for the NSA to scrutinize my email content? I don't need them critizing my poor grammar and spelling.

Suggestions on moving to IMAP for a single PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Should I switch to redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
E Should I switch to redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
Alex Cotton "invalid or unqualified reference" on code that should work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F Should a new email account also create new contacts Using Outlook 2
Brian Murphy Exchange Online Everything a Transport Rule should do and cannot Exchange Server Administration 1
L Should public contacts folder appear in "People" nav pane? Using Outlook 1
F Which upgrade should I go for and how do I do it please? Using Outlook 2
N Outlook should use address in address book before the address in Autocomplete Using Outlook 0
A Unhandled exception: picture argument should be an image BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
O Third-party VSTO 2005 SE plug-in for Outlook 2007: what should I signwith a publisher certificate? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Which event should i advise? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Hi, Ken, What should be noticed to avoid memory leak in outlook addin? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Re: mailItem.HTMLBody should retrieve only current text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Q Re: Detecting whether a toolbar is and should be shown Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
V Folder Properties - Gmail account can't switch Using Outlook 5
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
Commodore Automatic switch between working offline/online Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A few question before I decide to switch to Pop from imap Using Outlook 9
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
E Accessing shared outlook folder doesn't work since switch to new outlook/excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
D Outlook 2016: /altvba startup switch does not work Using Outlook 2
J VBA to switch Outlook online/offline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
George Simpson "Switch to HTML" in Outlook 2016 notes field Using Outlook 1
B Switch template with account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P How to switch back from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010: using /altvba switch Using Outlook 1
T How to determine when I switch from mail to calendar etc. Using Outlook 9
wisedave Switch from POP3 over to IMAP Using Outlook 3
K Can Outlook be launched with the /cleanreminders switch multiple times? Using Outlook 2
W How to switch my list view back to normal view Using Outlook 1
M Switch Mail format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
U Using /a switch to send multiple files? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
I Help with Smart Folder + Query Builder on IMAP Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Discussion for all: IMAP + Safety Using Outlook 3
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
C Trying to move messages between imap accounts/folders Using Outlook 5
R Outlook 2019 accesses POP3 but says its offline (because of IMAP servers?) Using Outlook 0
P "Item could not be moved" message occurs frequently for IMAP inbox, Office 365 Using Outlook 0
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
B IMAP server rejects sent email - cannot deliver messages Using Outlook 2
P Comcast IMAP broken but their second level support said to call "the Outlook company" Using Outlook 4
C Outlook 2016 Unable to delete Gmail IMAP calendar Using Outlook 2
K Closing external IMAP email... Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5
A Imap account not auto syncing inbox at startup Using Outlook 0