Duplicate and triplicate messages in Inbox Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
My friend's Windows 7 computer running Outlook 2013 is having an issue where Outlook 2013 will shut down on it's own, then reopen and there will be duplicate and triplicate of many emails.

This is the same computer that was giving her problems previously that I posted about, where it was not sending out some larger attachments. Possibly that was related to the Norton plug in that we disabled. I never heard back from my friend whether that was completely resolved or not.

This installation is Office 2013, the rest of the office suite is Office 2010. Could this be causing any problems?

The email is through GoDaddy pop, ISP is Cox.

Thanks

I don't think the mixed versions is causing issues. Are there any messages in the event viewer? Does she leave mail on the server? When outlook crashes it may lose track of the last message downloaded.

ETA: i forgot, Outlook 2013 will leave 2 weeks of mail on the server. Changing that setting so mail is not left on the server will probably fix the problem, but stopping the crashes will too. :)

It seems like the condition has worsened. I started Outlook in safe mode yesterday, it ran for a while not sure how long. She called me and said it had shut down. I restarted in safe mode just now, and it immediately gave the message "Outlook has stopped working". Here are details from the Event Viewer. Thanks

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-04-04T18:51:06.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>8851</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>User-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
<Data>15.0.4569.1503</Data>
<Data>52b0b0fe</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00285ec0</Data>
<Data>f6c</Data>
<Data>01cf5036c6c385be</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>1369c679-bc2a-11e3-9a31-001676c9cff4</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

It has SP1 installed (15.0.4569.1503) - what OS? Immediate crashes on Win7 could indicate problems with the Hardware graphics acceleration setting. Disable it in File, Options, Advanced and select Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration, near the bottom of the dialog.

I disabled HGA, did not help.

I also created a new profile, recreated the email account, and had it create a new pst. Still crashes almost immediately. I guess I need to reinstall Outlook?

Thanks

Use the Repair option in Control panel, Programs and Features - the full repair option is basically the same as uninstall/reinstall.

Yes it is Windows 7 SP1.
It really sounds like HGA in Office. Since that didn't help, there is always a chance it is something with the mixed office versions. I'd definitely start with repair.

When I select Outlook in Programs and Features, it only gives option to uninstall, I don't see Repair.

OK I found the repair option. Quick or Online repair?

After the Online Repair, it still crashes within a minute, whether in regular or safe mode.
And HGA is still disabled.

Is Online Repair really like a full uninstall/reinstall? How did it have all the account configuration info retained? Is that contained in the pst files?

You may be onto something regarding HGA. She previously had a problem with one particular website she needed to access. I had to set Internet Explorer to "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering". But it is definitely disabled now in Outlook.

Her computer came from Dell with a high powered gaming video card, a GeForce 8800 GTX, but I seem to remember researching it and finding people were having some issues regarding it.

But whether that is the issue or not, seems odd that after running with Outlook for months it should suddenly start having issues even after the repair. Maybe I should try a full uninstall?

The online repair is the full repair.

Even an uninstall/reinstall will retain profiles and other account settings- they are in the user branch of the registry and user files are never deleted during a reinstall.

I'm pretty sure an either SP1 or an Office update broke it, I don't think a Windows update did it. Hmmm. I wonder if you should repair Office2010 then 2013?

I'm repairing Office 2010 now.

Not sure if it is a clue for you, but at one point today I deleted the email account and reinstalled it. I let Outlook set it up automatically, and let it configure itself automatically. Outlook set it up as IMAP, which is not what she likes to use. It crashed once upon startup, restarted itself automatically, then ran fine for about 10 minutes. But she wanted POP so I removed the account, set it up as POP, then it started crashing again. And interestingly, when it crashes as a POP account, it does not automatically restart like it did as IMAP.

I repaired Office, and did a complete reinstall of Outlook. Still crashes.

I've deleted the profile, uninstalled Outlook.

How can I remove all traces of Outlook from the registry, so I can feel like I am really getting a clean installation?

Thanks

I'm starting to run out of ideas. After deleting the profile and a full reinstall, it asks me to create a profile so I guess that I got close to a clean install. But it still crashes within a minute. BTW I also uninstalled iCloud before installing Outlook this time.

What antivirus is installed?
Are you using a new pst file with the pop profile?
Go to %localappdata%\Microsoft\outlook and %appdata%\Microsoft\outlook - rename both Outlook folders then restart outlook. Does it run better?

I repaired Office, and did a complete reinstall of Outlook. Still crashes.

I've deleted the profile, uninstalled Outlook.

How can I remove all traces of Outlook from the registry, so I can feel like I am really getting a clean installation?

Thanks
Go to HKEY_current user software Microsoft and delete the office key, or since you have two versions installed, delete the key for the version number under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.