Unexpected change of the order of the folders in my navigation pane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyC

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
A strange thing happened yesterday while I was using Outlook 2013.

Most of the time, I work with all my folders listed in the navigation pane. The normal order of these folders is Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, and these are then followed by my personal folders in alphabetical order.

Yesterday, I dragged and dropped an email from my Inbox into one of these personal folders and, immediately, Outlook repositioned that folder between the Inbox folder and the Drafts folder. Is there a reason for this? Did I unintentionally invoke some function that I am not aware of?

I tried to drag and drop the personal folder back into its “normal” position, but it would not go. So I closed and then restarted Outlook. That did the trick. The folder is now back in its “normal” position.

Thank you for the reply. I guess I did unintentionally drag the folder to its new position.

But why I couldn't drag it back to its original position remains a mystery. And, if you take the trouble to reorder your folders by dragging them around, I would have thought that the new order would be preserved over a close and restart of Outlook. But it wasn't in my case - the original order was restored at restart.

I expect that this is one of life's little mysteries!

It should be preserved and dragging should work - it's possible it was just outlook being difficult. If it happens a lot, then the navigation pane might be corrupt. The fix is to restart outlook with the /resetnavpane switch - but since it resets the panes, you only want to do it if the problem continues.

If you want to keep the folders in alphabetical order, set the option to sort A-Z - they can't be dragged when it's enabled.

I would have assumed that /resetnavpane would reset only the navigation pane. Yes/no? I was wondering why you mentioned "panes" in the plural.

And what is wrong with resetting the navigation pane? Do things happen that you don't really want to happen, and some manual tidying up is necessary?

There doesn't appear to be an option in File > Options to sort A-Z. The only one I can find is on the FOLDER tab - "Show All Folders A to Z". Does this reorder all folders, or does it still leave Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, and Deleted Items at the top of the list of folders? I like these four folders to be at the top of the list.

It resets all of the modules in the navigation pane - not only mail favorites, but the calendar, contacts, and tasks. Favorites is the biggy, because you need to add all of the folders to it again, but if you re-arranged or changed the groups in the calendar and contacts lists, they'll need to be rearranged.

If you only have one account it's not a big deal, but it's more work if you have a lot of folders.

I think the only sort button is on the Folder tab. It puts the 4 default folders on top and sorts the others alphabetically.

I'm not a very sophisticated user of Outlook. I don't use favorites, the calendar or tasks. And I've not created any groups in my list of contacts. From what you have stated, I don't think I would notice any difference if I started Outlook with the /resetnavpane switch. Which is probably good news if I ever need to use the switch.

It is also good news about the action of the "Show All Folders A to Z" button. It is precisely what I would require.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Aussie Outlook 365 Rule runs manually but returns the error code "an unexpected error has occurred" when incoming mail arrives Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2019, Outlook Proplus v1808/1809 Unexpected Calendar Cache Using Outlook 4
DruinaBiscardi unexpected problem in outlook Using Outlook 1
Dennis Gaudenzi Your setup couldn't be started because of an unexpected error (mapi 0x80040604) Using Outlook 14
Steshelter ICloud Unexpected Error Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Don’t be fooled by unexpected attachments! Using Outlook 0
L Re: An Unexpected Error Has Occurred Using Outlook 2
S Distribution list failure - "an unexpected error has occurred" Using Outlook 7
M Use Macro to change account settings Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Unable to change AppointmentItem.Start property Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
sjmo2 Change subject for new e-mails only. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Horsepower Contact phone numbers randomly change Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2016 Change Paste Special Default Format Using Outlook 8
whizzard Change FROM address based on TO or CC address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
S Outlook 365 Can I change the possible range of highlighting colours when writing an Outlook email? Using Outlook 1
V Can one change the formatting of email title blocks? Using Outlook 0
S Unable to change Message Class Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S New Outlook Appointment - Select All Body Text and Change Font and Size Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J VBA Cannot programmatically input or change Value for User Defined field Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 365 Can you change the follow up colour? Using Outlook 1
A Change settings Send/receive VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook VBA change GetDefaultFolder dynamically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
O What would be the recommended way to change an email address (family member)? Using Outlook 0
S Change "This Week" flag start date behavior Using Outlook 1
N Help creating a VBA macro with conditional formatting to change the font color of all external emails to red Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D Change Microsoft Account password - what to do to update on all devices Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2016 Change how Outlook shows me contacts in emails Using Outlook 0
Witzker HowTo Change message Class of contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Z Outlook 365 delete reminder you can’t make change to contents of this-read only folder Using Outlook 4
Witzker Pls help to change the code for inserting date in Ol contact body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R How to Change Margins In Google Docs...? Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How can I change the font size on right side appointment pane Using Outlook 12
diver864 vba for a rule to automatically accept meeting requests with 'vacation' in subject, change to all-day event, change to free, don't send reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Change Font and Font size using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
D Change senders title Using Outlook 1
W Recurrence: delete older occurrences / change earliest start time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Change sending account depending on Subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Outlook 2013 Change color of text in data fields of contacts in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 10
B Change row background color of selected item Using Outlook 1
PGSystemTester VBA To Change AppointmentItem.BusyStatus From MeetingItem Before Send Using Outlook 0
B Change from Address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
X If you change expiration date of repeated task it dupplicates Using Outlook 1
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
Z See "Change View" Drop Down as a List? Using Outlook 1
V Change start time based on message duration Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Folder pane width change Using Outlook 90
S Change VBA script to send HTML email instead of text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
P How can I change my calendar view back Using Outlook 3
A Edit subject - and change conversationTopic - using VBA and redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2