Change Microsoft Account password - what to do to update on all devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnat

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Changing a password is easy, right? Not so with some accounts - like Microsoft (or Appleid for that matter)! There are so many impacts now, I need to confirm what has to be done when I change the password, which has been a while. Things have changed since my last pw change!

I have 2FA, app pasword and MS Authenticator setup. I think when I logon, I will get a request from Authenticator and a code, correct? Sometimes it sends a code, sometimes, it doesn't. This is what I think I will need to do, looking for feedback on if I've missed anything:
1. Update Microsoft Account password. Logon, change password.
2. Log out of all O365 apps on Laptop and log in with new password.
3. For Onedrive on laptop - log out & login with new pw? Or will it update with above steps?
4. On IOS devices - I can logout and back in for email - but in the past, it would ask for the updated password after a period of time - either waiting or turning device on / off. I haven't found another way to get the IOS devices to take the updated passwords - have you? I was given an app password last time I logged on, I think it was when I added 2FA to my MS account. So I think it will ask for the app password.
5. For Onedrive on IOS - logout and login w/new pw?

I think that's it for where it needs to be updated, unless I am missing anything, please advise: MS acccount, O365, Onedrive on Laptop, IOS. Thanks. Donna

If you changed the passwords, yes, you will need to o those steps.

>>I will get a request from Authenticator and a code, correct? Sometimes it sends a code, sometimes, it doesn't.
It usually only asks the first time then remembers the app as a trusted device.

It used to be that 2FA needed refreshed every 30 or 60 days - it's longer now, at least for business office 365 accounts.

If you changed the passwords, yes, you will need to o those steps.

>>I will get a request from Authenticator and a code, correct? Sometimes it sends a code, sometimes, it doesn't.
It usually only asks the first time then remembers the app as a trusted device.

It used to be that 2FA needed refreshed every 30 or 60 days - it's longer now, at least for business office 365 accounts.
Thanks

Changing a password is easy, right? Not so with some accounts - like Microsoft (or Appleid for that matter)! There are so many impacts now, I need to confirm what has to be done when I change the password, which has been a while. Things have changed since my last pw change!

I have 2FA, app pasword and MS Authenticator setup. I think when I logon, I will get a request from Authenticator and a code, correct? Sometimes it sends a code, sometimes, it doesn't. This is what I think I will need to do, looking for feedback on if I've missed anything:
1. Update Microsoft Account password. Logon, change password.
2. Log out of all O365 apps on Laptop and log in with new password.
3. For Onedrive on laptop - log out & login with new pw? Or will it update with above steps?
4. On IOS devices - I can logout and back in for email - but in the past, it would ask for the updated password after a period of time - either waiting or turning device on / off. I haven't found another way to get the IOS devices to take the updated passwords - have you? I was given an app password last time I logged on, I think it was when I added 2FA to my MS account. So I think it will ask for the app password.
5. For Onedrive on IOS - logout and login w/new pw?

I think that's it for where it needs to be updated, unless I am missing anything, please advise: MS acccount, O365, Onedrive on Laptop, IOS. Thanks. Donna
thanks, i will actually need to update it very soon. i will just bookmark this page. However, Microsoft doesn't tell you anything about it in their FAQ page

thanks, i will actually need to update it very soon. i will just bookmark this page. However, Microsoft doesn't tell you anything about it in their FAQ page
I bit the bullet and updated my MSA password this morning. It went well on my PC. I was required to login again to onedrive & Outlook. The office 365 aps did not ask for the password So far so good there. However, I got a message that I needed a new app password for outlook mail on iOS, this is because I have 2FA & am using the authenticator app. I got the new app password but my iOS devices are not asking for the update. I am sending and receiving mail on them but I think at some point they should ask for the new password. The last time I changed my password it took a while for iOS to request the new password. I do not see any place to put in a new password for iOS for Outlook mail app (or in iOS mail app for that matter). I have shut down the mail app, turnEd my phone off and on again. I suppose I could delete the app and add it back, but that’s pretty drastic for a password change. I have searched online and haven’t found anything that gives me the answer I am looking for - I know there is no feature that allows input of the new password, DUH!! Why not? I suppose I’m at the mercy of the software to ask for the new pw when it decides it needs it - unless someone has an answer for me here : )

Status
Not open for further replies.