set as default

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qing

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have several email accounts, such as A, B and C. Currently, A is the default account. After I set B or C as default, A is still the default account. I tried word mailing and "open a new email", both of them used A as the email address. I tried restart the PC and outlook, no change. Please help. Thanks!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Are they all POP3 accounts? Do they all share a pst file? It definitely should work the way you want it to, generally immediately upon changing the default.

Does it work correctly in Safe mode? To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.

Qing

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Thanks for your quick response. They are all POP3 and each account has different pst file individually.
I tried in Safe mood and can't change either. This is new office 365 in my new PC. The old outlook 2010 in old PC with the same accounts worked well. Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Well, it *should* work the same as in Outlook 2010... we just need to figure out why it's not.

Did you set the account default (email tab) or the data file (data file tab)? It's not a hard mistake to make with accounts and data files using the email address.

Qing

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Only when I change the data file, can I set the default. Email tab doesn't work in Outlook 2013, which IS different from outlook 2010.
Problem solved. Thank you so much for your professional and quick help.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Oh. It's because of the 'email account assigned to the data file you are looking at is default'. I don't think there is a solution for pop3 accounts, there is a reg key if you use imap.

Status
Not open for further replies.