Can't configure Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I am trying to configure Outlook 2013 for a Gmail account via IMAP. I let it do the automatic configuration, and it cannot log in, says the username/password is incorrect. I have confirmed the password is correct by logging in via a browser. I also have told Gmail to allow "less secure applications". And IMAP is enabled in Gmail.

I cancelled the configuration and set it up manually, but it still gives the same message.

It also sometimes give the message "Please log in via your web browser" which I did, but saw nothing about why it is saying that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Not sure if this will help but this is what my ISP says for setting up my Outlook and we use Gmail .

New Setup - Outlook 2013

How do I setup my email in Outlook 2013?
It's easy! Just follow these steps:

Step 1: Enable IMAP in your email settings.

Step 2: Open Outlook 2013.

Step 3: Click the blue "File" menu, then "Info", then "Add Account".

Step 4: Select "Manual setup or additional server types" and click "Next".

Step 5: Choose "POP or IMAP" and click "Next".

Step 6: Enter the following information:

Your Name: The name you want to display on outgoing email

Email Address: Your full email address

Account Type: IMAP

Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com

User Name: Your full email address

Password: Your email password

Deliver new messages to: New Outlook Data File

Note: We are using Gmail servers because has partnered with Google to provide you robust email, calendar and document tools.

Step 7: Click on "More settings..."

Step 8: Go to the "Outgoing Server" tab at the top of the "Internet E-mail Settings" window. Check the box that says "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and the circle by "Use same settings as my incoming mail server".

Step 9: Go to the "Advanced" tab at the top of the Properties window and make the following changes under "Server Port Numbers":

Check the box that says "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" under "Incoming server (IMAP)".

The Incoming server (IMAP) directly above should automatically change to 993. If it does not, please manually change it.

Below Outgoing server (SMTP), select TLS from the drop down menu and then manually change the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number above to 587.

Step 10: Click "OK" at the bottom of the "Internet E-mail Settings" window, then "Finish" in the "Add New E-mail Account" window.

That's it! Your email should now be working in Outlook 2013.

Yes, that is how I did it when I did a manual configuration. It did not work for me.
I also tried port 465, and I also tried non SSL ports, none would work.
Thanks

I used following information and its working fine. May be it will help u.

Incoming mail Server = imap.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server = smtp.gmail.com
Incoming mail Server port = 993
Outgoing mail server port = 587

Also check your firewall (if any).

Thanks, but those settings I already tried, did not work. I suspect the problem is related to the setting to allow less secure applications.

Are you using 2 factor authentication? If so, you need an app password in Outlook. Or is that what you mean by less secure applications? (I originally thought you lowered UAC.)

I don't think the less secure gmail setting will affect outlook being able to connect.

Usually when gmail requests you log in, there is a red bar with a message.

This is the Gmail setting that I now suspect could be the issue based on the searching I've been doing. My friend says she already set it to allow less secure applications, which is what Gmail apparently considers Outlook. I have not connected back yet to find out if this is the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2984937

As long as it's enabled, it should work - otherwise you need to use an app password. You could try an app password and see if it works.

Oh, and when the problem is with the setting, you should get an error message that includes a url to the gmail information.

I am not familiar with app passwords. I've just been reading about them now that you have mentioned it.

Is an app password only applicable if two factor authentication is enabled?
And is the app password entered into Outlook in place of the Gmail password, and left there permanently?

Thanks

Correct, app passwords are only used if you are using two-factor auth. Yes, if you use an app password, Outlook will remember it (assuming you save passwords) and use it until you revoke the password.

Status
Not open for further replies.