Receiving email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Searched here but didn't find the answer.
Outlook 2007
For years Outlook has updated my email periodically. Don't know if it was every 30 minutes or every hour, but it updated. F9 would give me a manual update. In the last couple of months, updates are apparently done once a day at night. F9 does nothing.
NO, WAIT!!! Not quite true. Updates to the INBOX happen nightly. F9 to the INBOX does nothing.
BUT, I have created a rule sending all email to a folder I created - NEW MAIL. Strangely, email is updated hourly? in the NEW MAIL folder and F9 works perfectly - sending new email to NEW MAIL. If I disable the rule, sending email to INBOX, updates are nightly and F9 doesn't work. How do I get INBOX to check for email hourly and houd do I get F9 to work for INBOX?

This is with a pop3 account? Are you using custom send and receive groups? (Not really needed unless you have a lot of accounts or aren't checking mail in all accounts).

I would go to %appdata%\microsoft\outlook (type or paste that in the address bar of windows explorer) and delete it - this will reset the send and receive settings to the default. Then press Ctrl+Alt+S to open the send and receive settings - the default should be to check mail every 30 minutes. You can lower to it if desired, but stay above 5 - 8 minutes for best results.

OK, did that . . . I think. Default is check mail every 30 minutes. No idea what a 'Group" is, but in settings I have one group - All accounts. Yes, all are pop3. I'll see if it helps, thanks.

one group is fine - it just means that all of your accounts use the same send and receive settings.

Well, I think I'm making progress. Email still doesn't update but once a day. OTOH, F9 DOES update. This is good. But that leads to a second problem. My Inbox (that's Inbox in the left column) now shows 15 unread messages but the list of messages on the right pane just shows 11. Where are the remaining 4?
FWIW, I have 2 folders? on the right - Personal Folder and "Mine." All info I'm giving is on the "Mine" folder. Personal folder is empty.

In that send and receive dialog, what are your settings? This is the default in Outlook 2010 and up - i forget what the 2007 defaults are. My settings should check mail every 30 minutes automatically. Click the Edit button to see settings for each account - on that page, both the send and receive mail items boxes should be checked, otherwise mail only sends when you select the account on the send and receive menu.
send-receive.png

Thanks for all the help. I'll try that and see what happens.
2 related questions.
Under "Send/Receive Groups, I see all email is to be sent to Personal Folders>Inbox. How do I change that to a different folder?
Junk Mail - how do I send that to a different folder?

Under "Send/Receive Groups, I see all email is to be sent to Personal Folders>Inbox. How do I change that to a different folder?

For pop3 accounts: You can change the delivery folder in Tools, Account Settings - select the account then Change folder button. Or use Rules to file mail in other folders. IMAP and others can't be changed to use other folders.

Junk Mail - how do I send that to a different folder?

That can't be changed - you can disable the junk filter feature but can't change the folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P i-Phone 6s Plus receiving 2 notifications from Outlook email Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2003 email sending & receiving suddenly stopped working Using Outlook 3
L Receiving work/Exchange email to my personal email Using Outlook 2
A After receiving the same email 3 times, Outlook starts sending it to junk Using Outlook 1
J Duplicate email when receiving email sent To: me and CC to a group I belong to Using Outlook 16
W Outlook 2013 - 2nd acct stopped receiving email after Win 8.1 upgrade Using Outlook 3
F Script needed for replying to email address in body of receiving email Using Outlook 46
M Receipients are receiving a blank email when I send a form Using Outlook 1
D not receiving email Using Outlook 3
D Email Receiving problems Using Outlook 1
G Not receiving email when sent as part of a group Using Outlook 5
S HELP: Email body transcript deleted when receiving response emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M I am receiving 2 of every incoming email. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Emails - sending and receiving multiple copies of the same email Using Outlook 4
S Outlook not receiving mail Using Outlook 1
W Receiving mail for account that has been deleted Using Outlook 2
F not receiving emails until i re-login Using Outlook 2
M McAllister Outlook stops Sending/Receiving/Synching after disconnecting remote desktop session Using Outlook 2
S Receiving duplicate messages from RSS feeds Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 2016 is not receiving emails until I restart it Using Outlook 1
W Receiving messages in offline mode Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Multiple Accounts Issue Receiving Emails in 2016 Using Outlook 0
P Receiving a Meeting Declined notice for a recurring meeting Using Outlook 0
I Not receiving video files sent by iPad Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2007 not sending/receiving until restart (send/receive stuck at __%) Using Outlook 27
S Outlook 2007 IMAP "Inbox" not receiving new emails. Using Outlook 2
G Annoying page of code when receiving Using Outlook 14
T Default inbox not automatically sending/receiving Using Outlook 1
J Sending and receiving emails in Outlook Using Outlook 1
J My Outlook program has stopped receiving. I can still send Using Outlook 1
A receiving emails Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2007 not automatically receiving emails into the inbox Using Outlook 3
A Receiving' reported error (0x80040900) Using Outlook 1
A outlook error Receiving reported error (0x80040900) please help Using Outlook 4
S Receiving/accepting meeting invitation into new calendar (outlook connector) Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
D Emails stuck in Outbox, not receiving emails, Outlook 2010 auto send/receive Using Outlook 4
dolke Strange Outlook behavior when receiving emails. More info in the content... Using Outlook 7
I Outlook 2003 - 2 Users Receiving messages that are garbled Using Outlook 25
S outlook has stopped receiving my emails Using Outlook 1
B Not receiving some emails Using Outlook 2
S Shared Calendar Need To Stop Receiving Other Peoples Reminders Using Outlook 3
C Cant see detailed progress of sending and receiving Using Outlook 1
D outlook getting stuck receiving Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2003 Plugin not receiving resize events Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R receiving duplicate attachments in Outlook for GMail IMAP Using Outlook 9
C receiving error code 0x80042108 Using Outlook 9
R Legacy Outlook on Mac Email Cache Using Outlook 0
P Email address auto-completes work fine on laptop, but no longer on desktop Using Outlook 3
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Copying email address(es) in body of email and pasting in To field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1