Status
Not open for further replies.

soadfan

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hello,
i'm running Outlook 2013 (v 15.0.49....) I have a set up a bunch of rules which was working fine.
Recently the company i'm working in decided to migrate from "local" domain to the new "global" one.
Also updated mail server from POP3 to Microsoft exchange.
Most of the email accounts are personal (first.last@domain), but also we have accounts on shifts like
something.odd@domain. Users using these accounts keep changing every week or two. On every user change something.odd@domain gets its name changed like <User1> something.odd@domain, <User2> something.odd@domain, <User3> something.odd@domain.
Now the problem, which didn't exist while we was on POP3:
The rule looks up the display name (User2) not the sender's address (something.odd@domain) which is inconvenient, because i have to changed it every time when new user is using this acc. Any ideas how to force outlook to look up address instead of name?

Rather than using the From rule, use words in the header or sender address contains rules- either will look at the underlying address.

Also updated mail server from POP3 to Microsoft exchange.
Oh... if the addresses are internal to exchange, there is no internet header and no SMTP address when the message was sent using Exchange. (If it's sent from a service or utility, it may have a header).

Use /ou in sender address to do something to all internal mail or use their alias to filter mail from specific users.
internal.png

BTW - if the aliases are commonly used (like info), you may not be able to use just the alias as it will pick up all mail sent from people using the same alias and your server may add a guid to the alias so you can't use /cn-alias:
/O=EXCHANGELABS/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=AF1A0D6DCDDE4BBF94FCF79F001D5C2A-DIANE_FE401

you can use this macro to get the exchange x500 address of a selected address - debug.print puts it in the immediate window or use msgbox for a popup. (if you click in the popup and ctrl a, c, it will copy the text - paste into notepad and you'll be able to copy just the alias.)
Code:
Sub getalias()
Dim objitem
Set objitem = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)
Debug.Print objitem.SenderEmailAddress
MsgBox objitem.SenderEmailAddress 
End Sub

I tried matching sender's address but it doesn't check the email address neither. If i try same but with header will trigger (i think) even when the matched string exist in recipients. Also header contains senders address like
"From: First Last <somethink.odd@domain>" so i have to figure it out how to check only "from" row in a deader without using wildcards

You could use a script with regex to get the sender address, but if the sender's are in exchange GAL, you need to use /ou.

I have some regex samples at slipstick.com but i don't recall if any get the address from the header - i have a CFG that gets the sender's address though. How to display the sender's email address in Outlook The value here (or part of it) is what you need to use in Senders address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook Rules VBA Run a Script - Multiple Rules Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Outlook 2021 'Run Script" Rules? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
Wayne Outlook locks up when opening "Manage Rules & Alerts" Using Outlook 7
T "Words In Recipient's Address" Rule Causes Outlook To Stop Processing Rules Using Outlook 3
N Outlook rules don't create a copy for bcc'ed emails Using Outlook 3
K Outlook Rules: Move a Copy Using Outlook 4
Justo Horrillo Issue with rules in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
J Outlook Rules - Changing auto-submit address in multiple rules, according to rule name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 2010 need help with rules Using Outlook 0
D Outlook Rules Using Outlook 1
Gunny NFOhiway Outlook PST file and Rules Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2016 Rules Not Working Automatically Using Outlook 5
oliv- How to Run a Script IN AN ADDIN with Outlook's Rules and Alerts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Q Outlook 2016\365 export specific rules to import in another system Exchange Server Administration 1
A outlook 2007 how to chcek all rules ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook Rules not show Master Category List Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
R Outlook rules Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2007 IMAP Account Rules Issues Using Outlook 3
D Outlook Rules - How to use a variable in the subject condition Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
A Setting RULES with more than one condition in MS OUTLOOK Using Outlook 6
J Outlook rules and alternatives Using Outlook 2
Rupert Dragwater How to delete old rules and create new in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 12
H Using Outlook Rules to search for NewLines in message body Using Outlook 1
R Outlook - alternatives to Rules / Junk? Using Outlook 5
R Outlook 2013 - IMAP & Rules Broken Using Outlook 1
D Trying to repair Outlook rules Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2007 Rules & VBA: How to run a script on a report message (ReportItem) Using Outlook 14
V Importing Rules in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
T Adding text to forwarding rules in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
T Adding tex to forwarding rules in Outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
D Outlook 2010 Rules: fwd meeting invitation results in winmail.dat not .ics Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2010 IMAP rules occasionaly stop working Using Outlook 4
kburrows Smartphones, Outlook and Rules Using Outlook 0
W Fwd Outlook incomming messages to usb port after Rules and alerts applied Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 rules -- not working reliably -- moving messages to wrong boxes Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2013 - Rules and Alerts for POP3/IMAP Accounts Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010: Message Rules come back next time I restart Outlook Using Outlook 0
D Unable to transfer rules from one Outlook computer to another Using Outlook 5
R Outlook 2013 Rules not working Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2013 - All rules simply delete the email Using Outlook 1
M Rules in Outlook 2013 Exchange Server Administration 9
K Outlook Cached Mode - can't create rules to move email to another mailbox Using Outlook 2
J Outlook rules help Using Outlook 1
D Outlook Rules Using Outlook 1
J Outlook - rules and Alerts Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2010 non working rules Using Outlook 1
M Rules & Alerts not appearing in the File Tab (outlook 2010) Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010, need script for rules & Warnings Using Outlook 3
J Outlook - rules and Alerts - from group Using Outlook 3