Google says Outlook 2016 is not a secure app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsepower

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 for Mac
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Got an email yesterday that said "Resolve 1 security issue" and I thought it was phishing, so I went directly to Gmail through Edge. It was suggested to "turn off" not secure apps, but that stopped Outlook from checking my Gmail account. Is this another browser/app/OS war ploy, or is there something I can do in Outlook?

It's a long standing issue... and there have been a rash of people affected recently. I figured out why when a client paid me to fix it. He received an email saying someone at an ip he didn't recognize tried to log in and offered to make it more secure. He went through the steps and said yes to less secure apps. If you enable less secure apps, you need to use 2-factor authentication and an app password in Outlook.

To either turn if off or enable 3-factor, or to get an app password, go to Sign in - Google Accounts - the less secure app option is at the end of the page if 2-factor is not being used.

BTW, the IP was his - he was using a phone's hotspot - the city it was reported to come from was not his (common with cell phone hotspots) so he didn't think it was himself even though the times matched.

Can two factor be used in Office 365 home? That's really my only app affected. Sorry, I wasn't notified of your response or I would have replied sooner.

No, at this time Outlook won't ask for the second factor with gmail or other accounts, only Office 365 business accounts support it. You'll need to use the app password with other account types.

Gmail's 2-factor / app password is good - Outlook and other apps don't lose authentication. Outlook.com isn't as good - i had to disable it because it was so annoying - i had to get a new app password about every 2 weeks.

OK Thanks for the information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
icacream Outlook 2021 - Google calendar in the peek Using Outlook 0
D Wishlist How to use 'app password' in Outlook 2003 after Google pulled plug on "less secure apps" Using Outlook 2
Commodore Are newer versions of Outlook still "less secure" to Google? Using Outlook 22
S.Champ Please help? I've imported a random workcalendar I dont even know who's. Can I undo it? and then I need to re-sync the google one again. Its a mess:( Using Outlook 2
A Any way to make Outlook Calendar invitations look right to Gmail/Google Calendar users? Using Outlook 3
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
R How to Sync *all* Google Workspace Mail Folders with Outlook 2019 (MS365) Using Outlook 3
R How to Change Margins In Google Docs...? Using Outlook 0
I Google Calendar <calendar-notification@google.com> appearing as a duplicate entry Using Outlook 2
J O365 - Adding Shared Google Calendar ICS link issue in O365 Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 365 blocked by Google popup Using Outlook 2
O Synchronising contacts Outlook 365 with Google v.v. Using Outlook 4
TomHuckstep Outlook 2016 Limit the number of days syncing from Google Calendar Using Outlook 1
G Detect Google Drive and OneDrive links in incoming mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B How to sync Outlook, iphone and Google calendars and contacts? Using Outlook 4
G Outlook VBA and Google Calendar ("Events") Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D launching a link in google Using Outlook 1
C Search with Google Macro? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
N Importing Google contacts from CSV file removes recipient names in autocomplete list Using Outlook 0
M Google Apps Mail *SENT* from iPhone doesn't download to Outlook via POP3 Using Outlook 1
T bcc and Google imap Using Outlook 3
B synching outlook 2010 with google on android phone Using Outlook 6
C Odd error message not found in Google search Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2013 IMAP using Google Mail App not syching Sent Mail Using Outlook 3
C Setting up Outlook 10 on Widows 8 using Google Server Using Outlook 3
A Recommend add-on or utility enabling quick Google search within Outlook Using Outlook 7
D Outlook/Google Configuration Using Outlook 27
S too difficult of a question to google Using Outlook 2
billzant RSS feeds and google Using Outlook 2
M How do I change the default map from Bing to Google in Outlook 2003? Using Outlook 23
I Links not working after un-installing Google Chrome Using Outlook 2
J Outlook Connector equivalent for Google Mail? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
D Outlook 2010 registry hack - delete emails - Google Apps Using Outlook 0
R Outlook and google calendar stuck if I close outlook Using Outlook 1
C Sync Outlook Calendar and Google Calendar Using Outlook 1
F Google Desktop fails to index Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
N The add-in "C:\program files\google\google desktop search\googledesktopO..." could not be installed Using Outlook 32
E Google MAPI account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Error in Outlook Object Model with redemption and google apps prem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Outlook 2019 accesses POP3 but says its offline (because of IMAP servers?) Using Outlook 0
M godaddy says my outlook's sending spam. Using Outlook 4
J Installed outlook and it says not installed Using Outlook 2
R Calendar says it is connected to someone else Exchange Server Administration 2
M Can't send email to certain valid email addresses, message says Using Outlook 1
M BCM sbb-file import says: You are not the owner BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
B Outlook fails - error says execute scanpst.exe but can't find it Using Outlook 8
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0