Name Server's

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWM030

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
When originally setting up OFFICE 365 I had to remove all of dreamhost's name servers.

I am needing to cloak my domain to where when you type in www.cwm030.com instead of seeing a page cant be displayed message, you'll see my home page that I created.

But the only way I can do that is if I add the dream host NS's back.. Can that be done? Can I have both O365 name servers and dreamhost's?

Thanks,
C

cloaking.PNG

Capture.PNG

You can have two nameservers, but it will be a mess. Microsoft's DNS only handles the mail /office 365 servers, not web, so depending on which server is hit, it might generate an 404. Unfortunately you'll need to move back to Dreamhost dns. Can you import DNS records to dreamhost? You can export the records from Office 365 - it beats adding them manually.

Unless you bought the domain from godaddy - then microsoft can update the records automatically if you use godaddy dns.

You can have two nameservers, but it will be a mess. Microsoft's DNS only handles the mail /office 365 servers, not web, so depending on which server is hit, it might generate an 404. Unfortunately you'll need to move back to Dreamhost dns. Can you import DNS records to dreamhost? You can export the records from Office 365 - it beats adding them manually.

Unless you bought the domain from godaddy - then microsoft can update the records automatically if you use godaddy dns.

No, DreamHost owns the domain and host's it.

I just wonder removing O365 NS from this screen, will it make my email bounce?

Capture.PNG

So Basically i'm stuck with:

2.PNG

I just found this too... Right below that screen in the 1st picture above:

3.PNG

That's at dreamhost? Your problem is the DNS is hosted at Microsoft - you'll need to move the dns records to dreamhost. Unless Microsoft offers the choice of setting a www record, which i don't think they do (i don't use them as my host).

That's at dreamhost? Your problem is the DNS is hosted at Microsoft - you'll need to move the dns records to dreamhost. Unless Microsoft offers the choice of setting a www record, which i don't think they do (i don't use them as my host).

Yes, thats the DreamHost DNS configuration screen.

When I was going through the set up of setting up O365 I only had the option to set CNAME records to get my mail flowing to O365 instead of my old provider.

So I thought that it meant to change the CNAME RECORDS on that screen... ( SEE SCREENSHOT 1 BELOW ).... So really I need to put MS's CNAME records somewhere else?

Here's a full view of the DreamHost's DNS config screen. ( i'll attach them)

Chris

I numbered the attachments in order of how you'd see it logged into DreamHost's control panel

I want to note screenshot #4 is the MX record's screen... To get there you would of had to click on this button in screenshot #2

MX RECORDS HYPERLINK BUTTON.PNG

Chris

1.PNG

2.png

3.png

4.png

I think I found the problem...... ( deleted my last 2 replies )

I must of not seen the "IF YOU HAVE A WEBSITE" warning at the top of the inital setup sceen and just hit next......

And that's why I am having to fight over 0 365 OR have my website. So how do I undo this so I can have both?

Capture.PNG

You’ll need to create all of the dns entries office365 needs in DreamHost then switch the host name back to DreamHost servers. There should be a list at office 365 to view - and you might be able to export a dns file to import at DreamHost.

You’ll need to create all of the dns entries office365 needs in DreamHost then switch the host name back to DreamHost servers. There should be a list at office 365 to view - and you might be able to export a dns file to import at DreamHost.

Well I guess i've done it right.....

According to this.... The NS are in the right place! ( refer to screenshot 1 )

Create DNS records at Dreamhost for Office 365

But I don't log in with a @atmicrosoft.com address I have a different one I use

I also REDID the setup of my domain and went through all the steps as if I was setting my domain up for the first time and added everything but the _sip. stuff

Does everything look alright?

Outlook.PNG

I didn't add any of the SIP stuff.

Thanks
C

Well that sucks.... I have to choose O365 or having a webpage. *THUMBS DOWN*

Sorry I missed this last week (I took part of thurs and fri off)... is everything working now?

Sorry I missed this last week (I took part of thurs and fri off)... is everything working now?

yes and no..

Email works fine... I just cant have my website.. Eh, I guess that's okay. < Laughing Out Loud>

I guess this page will have to do < Laughs >

forum.PNG

That can be fixed... :) Where did you run into problems adding the records to dreamhost?

This is the zone file for one of my domains - if the DNS host can import zone files , you just need to import the zone file. From i can google on dreamhost, they don't support importing though. :( It's a shame, its easier. Unless you use godaddy, then you just let Microsoft update the records for you.

Code:
; Zone file for Office 365 services - please append the data below to your zone file
@ 3600 IN MX 0 slipstick-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.
autodiscover 3600 IN CNAME autodiscover.outlook.com.
sip 3600 IN CNAME sipdir.online.lync.com.
lyncdiscover 3600 IN CNAME webdir.online.lync.com.
enterpriseregistration 3600 IN CNAME enterpriseregistration.windows.net.
enterpriseenrollment 3600 IN CNAME enterpriseenrollment.manage.microsoft.com.
@ 3600 IN TXT "v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all"
_sip._tls.slipstick.com. 3600 IN SRV 100 1 443 sipdir.online.lync.com.
_sipfederationtls._tcp.slipstick.com. 3600 IN SRV 100 1 5061 sipfed.online.lync.com.

That can be fixed... :) Where did you run into problems adding the records to dreamhost?

This is the zone file for one of my domains - if the DNS host can import zone files , you just need to import the zone file. From i can google on dreamhost, they don't support importing though. :( It's a shame, its easier. Unless you use godaddy, then you just let Microsoft update the records for you.

Code:
; Zone file for Office 365 services - please append the data below to your zone file
@ 3600 IN MX 0 slipstick-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.
autodiscover 3600 IN CNAME autodiscover.outlook.com.
sip 3600 IN CNAME sipdir.online.lync.com.
lyncdiscover 3600 IN CNAME webdir.online.lync.com.
enterpriseregistration 3600 IN CNAME enterpriseregistration.windows.net.
enterpriseenrollment 3600 IN CNAME enterpriseenrollment.manage.microsoft.com.
@ 3600 IN TXT "v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all"
_sip._tls.slipstick.com. 3600 IN SRV 100 1 443 sipdir.online.lync.com.
_sipfederationtls._tcp.slipstick.com. 3600 IN SRV 100 1 5061 sipfed.online.lync.com.

Well there's only 1 place for NS's. And it looks like I have to have both Dream Host's ( for the website ) and Office's for mail.

Go Daddy is expensive though :X

Chris

I could move to godaddy...... But, they sorta don't flat out tell you what im gonna pay for my .com after the year at 7.99 is up.

And what about losing my email? I'm scared of losing all of my email that's on the exchange server?

Because the email portion is served by O365. not Dream Host... Unless GD has everything in one.. I know everyone advises to keep everything separate.

Capture.PNG

HOLY MOLY Godaddy will be 14 plus 9 for the WHOIS protection = So about 25.00 a year. Unless I drop the WHOIS protection.

Never mind on the losing email part because I forgot the domain is separate from the email part.

With Dream Host I get the WHOIS protection free.. But its about the same for renewal... 13.99 a year

Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.