What's supposed to appear when just clicking into the search field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rseiler

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Either your last X number of searches or maybe your X most frequently searched?

If I click into the search field, what I see drop down in the current Outlook 365 is a list of three past searches, neither the most recent nor the most frequent.

And they never seem to change.

So I went back to a different system with the current Outlook 2016 (MSI) and was surprised to see the situation the same there except there are only two.

In both cases, what's seen in the "Recent Searches" part of the ribbon, in addition to having more items, is actually current. And new searches add to that list.

But what you see when merely clicking into the search field seems to be broken or doing something that I haven't guessed.

Deleting the related Registry item clears "Recent Searches" in the ribbon but has no affect on the three.

You should see the 6 most recent searches you did in that mailbox (assuming you have more than one account) . Some of my account have 3 listing - this one has 6. The petco search had to have been an all mailbox search - that mail goes to another mailbox.

This screenshot is from the insider build. I dont know that I've ever seen more than 6 or 7 items on the list. It's also "so yesterday" and doesn't have todays search (was for autocomplete).

2018-09-14_17-44-47.png

So, I guess seeing 3 might be correct, if it's 3 per account (in both cases there was one account here).

But even in your case it sounds like you're not seeing the most recent searches, but at least you see it changing. Seeing the same things all the time must be some sort of issue, which I would normally attribute to an Insider build except that it also happens in the opposite of Insider: MSI.

I think it should be 6 - but most of my accounts only show 3... but yeah, its not showing my most recent searches in the search dropdown - the Recent search button is showing the recent searches for all mailboxes.

2018-09-14_23-21-21.png

Some of the keys are stored in the registry - I have a list here: Clearing Outlook's Most Recently Used (MRU) Lists - the mail search is the list under recent searches, not the dropdown. Now you've made me curious as to where those values are stored. :) (possibly in the mailbox or data file.)

it looks like when I select something from the dropdown in the Search field above the message list (my first screenshot) these keys are written to the registry. They are part of the new search "experience" - and oddly, I finally 'found' some of the recent searches.
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\DocToIdMapping\787bf365-6922-4125-947f-e1074bf544df_ADAL]
"https://outlook.office.com/api/v2.0/me/activities"=""
"https://outlook.office365.com/search/api/v1/suggestions?scenario=outlookdesktop&query=&cvid=%7b950d936d-4bb1-48c2-b0ac-d844d69d4efe%7d&entitytypes=text,people"=""
"https://outlook.office365.com/search/api/v1/init?scenario=outlookdesktop&cvid=%7b7e6e7ba3-6d5f-498a-8e3a-90c1c2371f14%7d"=""
"https://outlook.office365.com/search/api/v1/query"=""

According to RegistryChangesView, nothing is written to in any Office area when I click into the box, which makes sense in my case since they're static. For the area you mentioned, connecting to Office.com instead of 365, most of mine look like this, and they don't change:
Code:
https://substrate.office.com/search/api/v1/suggestions?scenario=tellmesearch&entitytypes=documents%2cpeople&query=chart&cvid=%7bd0b8fcfa-a5cd-4d39-a399-ad1a20b60471%7d

So, my 3 finally changed, but they update so infrequently (the latest 3 that have been showing for days aren't even among my last 10 searches) that I'd rather not have any list appear at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Are the underlined letters in Outlook Reminders window supposed to work? Using Outlook 4
S Is Free/Busy supposed to work in Outlook 2013 not connected to Exchange? Using Outlook 14
E Is this supposed to be? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
T Increasing the number of items that appear on the Categories list Using Outlook 2
B All imported tasks appear in to-do list Using Outlook 3
T Render Outlook emails in MS access as they appear in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Checkboxes when selected will appear in a textbox in Outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P errors appear every time I run SCANPST Using Outlook 3
T Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803 Using Outlook 11
M Multiple spurious empty folders appear in archive files Using Outlook 3
Carrie Dickey Outlook 2016 created two calendars titled Calendar1 - appear to be a copy Using Outlook 2
P How to make outlook display alert appear on top of other windows whenever a new email is received? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Outlook 2013 Calendar events not appear on Outlook.com Calendar Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
Mark Foley Time span on WebDAV published Calendars does not appear to be working Using Outlook 7
D Emails do not appear in Sent box! Using Outlook 4
L Should public contacts folder appear in "People" nav pane? Using Outlook 1
G How to let data in an account user defined field appear in the same field all related opportunities BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D how to get inbox messages to appear before deleted file messages? Using Outlook 6
A email folders appear empty, at first click Using Outlook 2
U Imported contacts to appear in Autocomplete Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2013 Mail Notifications appear for ALL emails--no good Using Outlook 1
J Reminders dismissed on one computer re-appear on Outlook on second computer Using Outlook 1
P Trying to get 'Calendar Name' to appear like 'Subject' and 'Location' in event Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2010 IMAP Sent Items some items appear in Outlook Data File Using Outlook 3
O Sent mail from ( Yahoo ) appear on hotmail sent box Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2010 - Tasks Do Not Appear In To-Do Bar Using Outlook 1
T Make sub folders of inbox appear BOLD when new mail arrives Using Outlook 10
R Getting my Claendar additions to appear in Outlook Today Using Outlook 7
J Why Doesn't some Incoming Gmail Doesn't Appear In Outlook? Using Outlook 9
R Outlook 2010 Sent emails don't appear in the sent mail folder Using Outlook 9
S Inbox names appear greyed out Using Outlook 3
W Custom Task Form: Scrollbars Do Not Appear On Textbox Using Outlook 4
J Mail read in OWA won't appear in Outlook Exchange Server Administration 1
M Missing/Blank Hotmail Emails from Outlook but appear in hotmail BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Outlook 2003 - Deleted contact folders still appear in address book Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A New Contact entry (custom form) get saved in a public folder and doesn't appear in Outolook Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Outlook 07 emails all appear READ now my Blackberry activ. Want UN BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Outlook Custom Form Scripting only working when clicking on "Run this form" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N contact notepad 'style' getting changed after clicking and running Activities Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2013 when clicking To in a new email show Company names Using Outlook 0
S Calendar loops when clicking on calendar link to start it Using Outlook 1
C Set reminder / appointment by right clicking email Using Outlook 1
Z Outlook 2007, clicking email addresses fails to open Contact Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2013 crashes saving VBA & clicking tools | digital signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Clicking reply on sent emails TO field Using Outlook 2
K blank emails generated in outbox when clicking on Inbox and other foders Using Outlook 0
D Prevent Outlook from resolving incomplete contact when clicking send Using Outlook 2
V Clicking box to delete junk mail doesn't stay Using Outlook 2