Status
Not open for further replies.

montyrobison

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi all,

I just installed a new hard drive and installed Outlook 2010. I had saved my existing PST file from the old hard drive which used Outlook 2007. When I imported the PST file into Outlook 2010 everything came across great with one exception.

On the old hard drive using Outlook 2007 I had added several custom Contacts folders to the Address Book and had arranged my contacts according to these folders. When I imported the PST file into the new Outlook 2010 all of the contacts were grouped together and were placed in the Address Book under Other Address Books - Contacts.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to save the old Outlook 2007 Address Book contacts and custom folders and import them into Outlook 2010 and maintain the original Address Book settings and custom folders. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Monty

All,

EDIT

Attached are screenshots of the Contacts folders in Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 so you can see the differences I'm referring to in my original post.

Monty

Outlook 2007 Contacts.JPG

Outlook 2010 Contacts.jpg

Two things -

1. go to the folder list (ctrl+6) =- do you see the folders? If yes, peek in each one. This is sometimes necessary to get them on the navigation pane.

2. Rather than import, open the old pst in Outlook - file > open & export > outlook data file. (You only need to import if the old pst is ansi format.)

When you imported, do you only import contacts or the entire pst? Did you use the 'import into same folder' import option?

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your reply and the suggestions. Item 1 did the trick and after I expanded the Contacts folder on the left side and all of my custom contact folders are there and the email addresses are sorted correctly. Why don't you see these custom contact folders when you open the Address Book tab on the top menu bar? This is also a problem when trying to compose an email as the only folder available there is the main Contacts folder which is just all of my email address combined. How can I get these custom contact folders into the Address Book? Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Monty

Why don't you see these custom contact folders when you open the Address Book tab on the top menu bar? This is also a problem when trying to compose an email as the only folder available there is the main Contacts folder which is just all of my email address combined. How can I get these custom contact folders into the Address Book?
Right click on each folder > Properties > Outlook Address book - tick enable as an address book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system Using Outlook 10
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
C import pst in Outlook 2011 for Mac Using Outlook 0
H Bulk import of PST files into Outlook Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 365 File access denied attempting to import .pst Using Outlook 6
S Import PST to Office 365 Using Outlook 1
K Disabling import/export button to restrict PST creation Using Outlook 3
M Export-Import .pst file problems Using Outlook 2
N .pst archive from work will not open/import on Microsoft 365 Exchange Server Administration 0
J Converted .ost to .pst: Want to Import and Reconnect with IMAP Email Account Using Outlook 2
J Opening/Archiving/Import/Export PST files Using Outlook 4
A import pst Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Flagged for Follow Up Search folder MIA after PST export/import Using Outlook 1
G Import pst but Calendar and Contacts don't show. Using Outlook 12
L Help to import a pst file into BCM... BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P Recommendation for PST repair program Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 365 Bad experience with KernelAPPS PST Repair program Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Kernel Outlook .pst viewer Using Outlook 3
G Outlook Express (DBX) to Outlook (PST) Conversion Software Wanted Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2003 .pst Will Not Restore Completely to Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 5
J SCANPST errors Outlook PST repair? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5
J What are .PST.db and .PST.db.journal Files? Using Outlook 2
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
L Article on merging pst file Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Changing where data .pst is saved to Using Outlook 3
M Convertor for Outlook Express Mail Store (.dbx) to Outlook Mail Store (.pst) Using Outlook 0
D a general question re how backup programs handle pst files ... I have no problems, just curious Using Outlook 1
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
K Need to convert .mmf file to .pst format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
J outlook 2007 doesn't let me choose which .pst to search Using Outlook 2
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
K Export Folder to PST Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1
P PST file is getting huge under POP 3 Using Outlook 2
L Cannot open PST file for first session each day Using Outlook 6
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 2016 OST thinks it is PST? Using Outlook 1