Outlook 2016 how to use gmail account as source account for outlook 365

Status
Not open for further replies.

davegoodo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'm wanting info as to how to set up my Gmail account as my Primary account in Outlook 365. I'm changing ISPs and for the last 10 years or more I've had an email address with that ISPs name in it, so that address will become inactive. Now that I'm changing to a new ISP I thought I could use my Gmail account as my Primary account in Outlook for all emails. I'm wondering what issues there may be with doing this sort of thing? I have a desktop PC on Windows 10 and that is where Outlook 365 resides, I use Gmail for mobility on my iPad, iPhone and Laptop. I'm imagining there might be a set of steps to go through to do something like this, could anyone help out with this please?
Thanks
Dave

Hi Diane, thanks so much for your response. I acknowledge your long-term committment to all things Outlook. Changing the email address I have used in so many places, logins, newsletters etc, it has major ramifications, I just want to make sure I get it right. I hope I don't have any problems,
Much appreciated,
Dave

You'll be fine. :) Hardest part is changing your address everywhere.

You'll be fine. :) Hardest part is changing your address everywhere.
You are right about that, it is very challenging changing the address everywhere. Dianne I have added the account to Outlook and Gmail is set to IMAP but I'm not getting any emails coming through. What should POP3 be set to for Gmail and Outlook? Are there obvious things that I need to do that I haven't done or don't know to do? Thanks

I just did some checking and there is a gmail .ost file set up in my AppData/Microsoft/Outlook folder on my C: drive I'm not sure what that actually means? I'm not an email kinda guy, not sure what these POP settings actually do? Could they be a problem?

The default account type is IMAP - and it should be syncing. If you want to use pop, you need to set it up manually and use port 995 / SSL.

More likely, especially if you don't use 2-factor authentication is gmail disabled allow less secure apps - or it was never enabled. Check in Google security settings.
Google Account

Thanks for your responses Diane. I haven't got very far. I have added Gmail as an account. In Outlook it has listed my original account with my ISP's email address and it is and always has been POP. In Gmail settings IMAP is enabled and POP is disabled, thinking just one protocol for Gmail may be less confusing, but it hasn't helped my cause. Should I enable 2-factor authentication with Gmail? I mentioned above that Gmail has set up a .ost file on my C: drive in Users/AppData etc. In Outlook there are 2 accounts listed.

When I use F9 to Send and Receive in Outlook, it shows sending and receiving for Outllook and it does Gmail sending (whatever that means) and the last thing that it does receiving for "Subscribed Folders" I do not know what that means? It is a lot slower. But nothing comes in from Gmail. Is there anyway I can go back to square one and start from there without losing any data or msgs? I just need to make some headway on this problem and get on with changing my email address all over the Internet. Thanks.

Thanks for your responses Diane. I haven't got very far. I have added Gmail as an account. In Outlook it has listed my original account with my ISP's email address and it is and always has been POP. In Gmail settings IMAP is enabled and POP is disabled, thinking just one protocol for Gmail may be less confusing, but it hasn't helped my cause. Should I enable 2-factor authentication with Gmail? I mentioned above that Gmail has set up a .ost file on my C: drive in Users/AppData etc. In Outlook there are 2 accounts listed.

When I use F9 to Send and Receive in Outlook, it shows sending and receiving for Outllook and it does Gmail sending (whatever that means) and the last thing that it does receiving for "Subscribed Folders" I do not know what that means? It is a lot slower. But nothing comes in from Gmail. Is there anyway I can go back to square one and start from there without losing any data or msgs? I just need to make some headway on this problem and get on with changing my email address all over the Internet. Thanks.
Further to what I've asked, should I have everything configured IMAP or POP but not both or does it not matter whether both are enabled - which is the current situation, maybe that is the problem?

What can I say? I have read all the articles/posts and websites on this topic and I, to the best of my ability, have implemented them. Yet, here I sit and Outlook is not importing my Gmails. I have another question. If when Outlook does import Gmail will all those Gmail messages become part of the Outlook .pst file? And then would I delete the .ost file that Gmail has on my C:\ Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.