Outlook 2016 Change Paste Special Default Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
It used to be that when I pasted from Amazon into a task, both text & pictures would paste. When I now paste (using Ctrl+V) only the text pastes & not the picture. Instead, it pastes a blank textbox. I have to copy the picture again, use paste special & change to something like .png to see an image. It also used to be that I could click the image to take me to the URL...the blank textbox will do that, but, of course, the png image won't.

Can I change the default paste or paste special back the way it was?
P.S. I notice that I can paste everything into this question, if I wanted, & both text & pictures appear, but not in Outlook.

Thank you in advance,

Instead, it pastes a blank textbox.
That sounds like a picture placeholder.

Are you pasting the png the same way? If you are, then its not a picture placeholder.

Thank you for your reply.

I pasted the .png as I described above, copy/Paste Special.../choose png/paste. However, I don't know why copying from Amazon has changed the default.

For example, I just copied a random picture from the Amazon website & pasted it here by selecting it, pressing Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V here:

Swedish Wholesale Swedish Dish Cloths - 10 Pack Reusable, Absorbent Hand Towels for Kitchen, Counters & Washing Dishes - Cellulose Sponge Cloth - Eco Friendly Gifts - Assorted

You can see the picture. When I paste it into an Outlook task, I get the picture placeholder only.

You can see the picture. When I paste it into an Outlook task, I get the picture placeholder only.

I'm getting the image - I was going to say it was because you are pasting into tasks - but it worked here-

1663103260645.png

I thought maybe it was file > options > mail > editor options - the setting for picture placeholder, but that should affect all images, in all items, not just the one from amazon.

1663103548058.png

Check the outlook cache file - type shell:cache in file explorer then click Content.outlook - do you have many files in the subfolder under it? Delete the files.

1663103474780.png

It's strange. I can copy images from Amazon into a task window. However, when I buy something & go to my orders & select the product, including the image, I get the picture placeholder.

e.g. I bought a thermostat. When I click either the original picture on the item screen OR on the order details page, I select, copy & get this to paste here:

1663114173832.png

Honeywell Home RTH7600D 7-Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat

But only the original screen will paste in my task. This means that when I buy something, I can't put the picture in Outlook tasks to keep track of it.

Oh, I forgot. When I click shell:cache in Explorer, I get an hourglass & it takes forever to load anything. I found content.Outlook & there's a tremendous number of folders. But they're all zero byte. Should I delete all the folders?
1663114928770.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you have all of those folders - outlook should only be using the content. Outlook folder at
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

If you open the folder - how many folders are in it? and how many files are in the folder?
1663165386118.png

Hi Diane:
I opened several of them. They all have exactly 1 folder & that folder is empty. They are all zero byte. When I copied the file path of some of them, I got:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Outlook

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Outlook

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Outlook

Application Data doesn't really exist on Windows 10, it's AppData. The only thing I can think of is that because I have a home network with my Win10 machine & WinXP machine, that somehow it's picking up Documents & Settings/Application Data from my WinXP machine.

Should I delete all the content.Outlook folders? There must be about 200 of them.

Thank you again!

The path is definitely weird -
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Outlook

I don't think its picking up from winxp, but for one reason or another, there is a loop. I would delete all - but that's just me (and I like to live dangerously. :))

I deleted the files content.outlook & nothing bad happened. I'm still confused, but I'm not so sure it's outlook. I just went to my Amazon account & looked at my last order & chose view order details. I can paste it, including the picture, into this post.

However, if I try to paste into Word or into Irfanview (my image app), it doesn't paste the picture.

Despite the fact that I was able to post the above picture, when I select & copy it from here, it still doesn't show up in Irfanview & shows up as an empty frame in Word.

If I right click the picture above & choose "Copy image", I can then paste it into Irfanview, but not into Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.