PST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

breodis

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I know nothing about Windows or Outlook. I have Outlook 2007. I want to know where my .pst files are. Outlook is using a 2014.pst. I made a 2016.pst file, but I didn't know how to get it to work (by default). I've been just syncing emails over to it all year (using SyncPST). How do I archive 2016 and get a new 2017. pst going?

The pst should be in the local app data folder under microsoft\outlook - shortcut to get there is %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook - type or paste it into the address bar of file explorer then press enter. This will open the folder where the pst is.

Do you want to archive to the 2016 pst or use it as the default pst? Calendar & contacts, categories, custom views are in the default pst - you can move appointments, contacts, tasks, and notes if needed, but categories and custom views are more difficult to move. My recommendation is to use one pst for new mail and archive to 2016.pst, rather than setting the 2016 pst as the default. You can choose the pst in the autoarchive configuration in Options or in the manual archive dialog.

FWIW, unless you get a lot of mail each year (multi-GB), i wouldn't archive - it's easier to use one date file.

I moved my PST file - I know where it is but all my sub folders in my email account in Outlook 2010 have vanished

You reopened it in outlook and the folders aren't visible? The folders are in the pst and just moving it won't lose the folders.

Diane, Im worried that I deleted the original folder when I spotted there was two of them after it was moved.

I cant open the PST in Outlook (I dont think) - what does that mean?

Basically my Outlook is set up with an exchange my Hotmail account.
But also a pop3 account external email account set up to receive but not send. When I open Outlook I can see a few emails pop up at the bottom of the screen, and if I click on them, I can view them, but I have no idea where they are going as I the inbox is empty and the sub folders are gone.

Diane, Im worried that I deleted the original folder when I spotted there was two of them after it was moved.
Outlook folders or pst files? If outlook folders, are they in the deleted items folder?

Switch to the folder list - Ctrl+6 - can you find the missing mail or folders in the full folder list?

Outlook folders or pst files? If outlook folders, are they in the deleted items folder?

Switch to the folder list - Ctrl+6 - can you find the missing mail or folders in the full folder list?

That didn't do anything. On the screen shot, you can see my inbox (which is obviously filling up), but no sub folders.

See thumbnail attached.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-13_23-53-50.png
    upload_2016-12-13_23-53-50.png
    285 KB · Views: 457
If you are using a POP account and made a new pst, you need to create the folders and point the rules to the new folders.

The easy way to make a yearly pst, especially when you use a lot of rules, is to keep the current pst as your "current year pst" and use archive to move all of last year's messages to a new pst. You won't lose your rules, color categories, custom views, calendar or contacts when you do it this way.

If you are using a POP account and made a new pst, you need to create the folders and point the rules to the new folders.

The easy way to make a yearly pst, especially when you use a lot of rules, is to keep the current pst as your "current year pst" and use archive to move all of last year's messages to a new pst. You won't lose your rules, color categories, custom views, calendar or contacts when you do it this way.

I can't say I understand a lot of that language!

Status
Not open for further replies.