Why does MS do these things????

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I've seen this toggle switch in the upper right hand side of my Outlook 2021 and ignored it for the longest time. Tonight I said to myself " why not try the new look, I'm sure it can be reversed" This is what it looks like.

outlook.jpg

What they don't tell you is if you "try the NEW Look" you have to agree to let MS have access to all your mail and everything else. I tried to cancel the
( what appeared to be a upgrade or sorts) but couldn't until finally it let me stop the change but now I think I ahve agreed to give MS access to everything. How can I make sure I change my Outlook 2021 back to what it was. I looked in options and there are all kinds of "experinces" but there are warning that if I uncheck them I will lose features.

I don't want MS to have access to anything, how can I make sure I take back my ownership of everything I agreed to give MS???

I'm not happy, they make it appear as if you are just going to have choices of "New Looks" but that isn't what turning that toggle on does. That's not cool what MS did.

That is for the new outlook. You should have a switch in the new Outlook to turn it off. If not, type Outlook on the stat menu and open the one that does not have "Pre" on it.

Or open Outlook from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" (64-bit) or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" (for 32-bit)

Hi Diane, I see the toggle for on and off I posted a screenshot. My question or concern is it just didn't change the "look" of the interface of my Outlook 2021 it went through a setup making me chose to let MS have access to everything. When I cancelled out of it, I was brough back to the same thing which wasn't my older look it was the setup for the Newer look.

The newer look has more colors and looks nice but is it possible to keep the look and take aay MS access to everything I had to accept to get this new look?

If I toggle it back to off will it just go back to the original Outlook 2021 look?

I wish I had a screenshot of the before but I didn't think to take one, below is the new look screenshot with all the newer colors up on the top ribbon. Also if you look tot he toggle is appears that if I toggle it to off it should go back to the older look. But it doesn't it gives me this message popup.
switch.jpg

Once again I don't mind keeping the new look but I don't want MS to have all the access that I had to agree with to get the new look. If you previous post addressed that I dind't understand what you were trying to tell me. If you look at my original image of the toggle switch that is what I have now even after changing to the new look. I can chose to toggle it to "off" but when I do I get the message above which sounds like I am going to go to the new look ??????? I thought I already did that and doing so made me give MS all kinds of access which is my main cooncern.

Last edited:
Hi Eagle; I share your concern with Microsoft (and other tech giants) collecting and selling information on its users. I use a CalyxOS cel phone, I have a secondary Linux computer on which I use Libra Office and the Thunderbird email client.
Alas, there is no MS-Office for Linux. If there was I'd be leery of installing it for fear of its spyware component.

This recent article on WIRED shows the level of granularity that the US government is seeking in its data gathering on its citizens.
The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens

That is for the new outlook. You should have a switch in the new Outlook to turn it off. If not, type Outlook on the stat menu and open the one that does not have "Pre" on it.

Or open Outlook from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" (64-bit) or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE" (for 32-bit)
Diane,
Can I send you a private message about the reply Outlook problem?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Send on behalf of does not store the base mailbox Using Outlook 0
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
Witzker Outlook 2019 Edit contact from email does not open the user defined contactform Using Outlook 3
J Event/Meeting in Outlook Does Not Align with SharePoint Calendar Using Outlook 5
C Code to move mail with certain attachment name? Does Not work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Does the .fdm contain my custom form? How to make ol use it? - ol2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Why does Outlook (desktop) 365 for Windows keep making me input my passwords? Using Outlook 12
G Script does not exist Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J WshShell.Popup does't timeout Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N Save selected messages VBA does not save replies and/or messages that contain : in subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 0
L Does this really work and get thru virus and malware blocks? Using Outlook 3
V Outlook 2016 Does Outlook-2016 (64 bit) work with iCloud for Windows ? Using Outlook 5
F Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 4
N Free/busy publish at http location does not work Using Outlook 1
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Deleting attachments does not reduce file size Using Outlook 0
M vCard does not have user-defined fields from my custom contact form (365) Using Outlook 1
M Outlook .com group does not show up in Outlook for office 365 home Using Outlook 3
W Outlook Calendar does not save view any longer! Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2016 Does not Shutdown Correctly Using Outlook 3
P Desktop doesn't index Outlook IMAP files, laptop Outlook does index those same IMAP files Using Outlook 2
G Entered data in custom field goes in card and does not stay in list view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact Using Outlook 3
Witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact Using Outlook 0
Rupert Dragwater Email flag does not show up in Outlook2013 Using Outlook 13
J Outlook 2016 message content does not display - outlook.com; exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
D Outlook 2016 IMAP Connection Returns All Email but outlook.com does NOT Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
A BCM does not work anymore! BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Outlook 2016: /altvba startup switch does not work Using Outlook 2
A BCM does not work with Windows 10 1703 any more BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
S Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook Using Outlook 5
Q Undisclosed recipients does not include sender Using Outlook 1
N Does a Shared Folder Policy override a Digital Signature Setting for macros? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
E What does mean this icon at the picture attached? Using Outlook 2
O Windows 10 x64 Outlook 2013 - URL does not open (anymore) Using Outlook 3
M How does Outlook determine item numbers in a folder? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
LarryS change day template as cpao does not see .catx files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Discovery search does not show autoforwarded messages Exchange Server Administration 1
C Unchecking "Send immediately when connected" does not work on apps that call Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 VBScript editor does not run code at all Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Mark Foley Time span on WebDAV published Calendars does not appear to be working Using Outlook 7
snhnic Macro that does not overwrite but add a number Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Rupert Dragwater Deleting email from Deleted Items does not work Using Outlook 0
G Outlook does not show new appointments in To-Do-Bar Using Outlook 0
G Calendar does not point to deafult data file Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky What does the "J" mean? Using Outlook 0
Christiaan Could not complete operation because the service provider does not support it Using Outlook 2
Simon How does the sender/organizer to dictate the color of a meeting invitation. Using Outlook 3