Background colors not saving in Outlook 365

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Has anyone else noticed background colors are not saving in Outlook 365? If the color is changed, it immediately flips back to the color set before this problem began. Is this a bug or is it something that is a telltale sign to uninstall Outlook and use Eudora?

Here's what I'm referring to Diane. Let's go to File / Office Account / Office background / Office background. As you know, one can get there going to File / Options / Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office.
I noticed since the update, the one before yesterday, that I cannot save a color. Right now, mine is set to Dark Grey but let's say I want to switch it to black, it will do so for about 5 seconds then revert back to Dark Grey. Switching to any color does the same thing.
I've done a full repair which does nothing. So I downloaded Outlook to another laptop here and it has the same results. So I'm suspecting a bug or the flu or something. Are you getting the same results?

In Outlook's File > Options > General - is Store my Outlook setting in the cloud enabled? Uncheck it and see if that changes the behavior.

In Outlook's File > Options > General - is Store my Outlook setting in the cloud enabled? Uncheck it and see if that changes the behavior.

Unchecked it and the problem remains. The problem isn't there on my wife's laptop, so I downloaded Outlook 365 to my secondary machine where the problem also resides.

Change it in word or excel and see if that makes a diff.

The reg key is here - this is black
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common]
"UI Theme"=dword:00000004

Dark Gray is 3
While it 5
colorful is 7

use System setting = value is removed.

Unfortunately, you can't use a policy key to force a theme. :( You use a reg file to change it before opening an app.

Dark Gray is 3
While it 5
colorful is 7

Unfortunately, you can't use a policy key to force a theme. :( You use a reg file to change it before opening an app.

Tried changing it from both Word & Excel and that does nothing to change anything. Do you feel this is a bug because of one of the recent updates and if so, how long does Microsoft usually take to rectify a problem such as this?

Depending on the cause, they can fix it within a week and send out a silent update, otherwise it takes on average, 3 months.

what is your version and build number? you can roll back to the older build for a couple of months.

Tried changing it from both Word & Excel and that does nothing to change anything. Do you feel this is a bug because of one of the recent updates and if so, how long does Microsoft usually take to rectify a problem such as this?
Also, should have asked you this. When changing

Dark Gray is 3
While it 5
colorful is 7

Sorry, also should mentioned this also. The part about changing the Reg Key has me confused. I can see the "UI Theme"=dword:00000004" and the number 3 is in there, being as you said, dark gray. If I were to change that to a 4, I simply click on modify and put the 4 in there for Black, correct?
But you're saying I cannot use a 'policy key' to force a them, so in other words, are you saying changing that number won't change anything? Then you say, "use a reg file to change it before opening the app"... maybe you can explain what you mean by that. Thanks.

Depending on the cause, they can fix it within a week and send out a silent update, otherwise it takes on average, 3 months.

what is your version and build number? you can roll back to the older build for a couple of months.
Version # 2309 (Build 16827.20130)
If I should decide to roll back to an older build, what is the simple way to do that?

changing the number should change it in Outlook (but you should need to restart outlook for it to take effect).

Normally you set a policy key to force a change and the user can't change the settings. But with this key, the policy only sets it for the first run - the user can change the theme any time they want.

Either a spammer (trying to build reputation) or non-English. You would not believe the number of people who call me sir.

Anyone looking at your picture, Diane, should not think for a moment you're not a woman and a pretty one at that! :)