then their email address in parenthesis in the display as field. Often I

need to place an email address in another document so I will open a new msg,

type a few characters of the desired address to auto-fill the TO: field and

then copy and paste.

The problem is, often I end up with only the person's name and not their

email address.

Also, when I rcv emails w/ an address that is in my Contacts, often only the

name will appear in the TO: or CC: field of the received msg and not the full

address. I have to right click on the name and look at the properties.

Is there a way to have outlook 2007 always display the full email address?

This is a real pain when I want to copy/paste.

I appreciate your help, -John

"John" <John> wrote in message

news:EC5F375C-5B15-4377-8003-8B8870E3319B@microsoft.com...

> I have all my Outlook 2007 Contacts set up to include the person's name and
> then their email address in parenthesis in the display as field. Often I
> need to place an email address in another document so I will open a new msg,
> type a few characters of the desired address to auto-fill the TO: field and
> then copy and paste.

> The problem is, often I end up with only the person's name and not their
> email address.

If you have the Display As field for your contacts set to include the mail

addresses of your contacts, when you start typing, and the address pops up,

press tab to allow the name to fill in and resolve. This should cause Outlook

to display the value you have for the Display As field for the contact, giving

you the address as well.

> Also, when I rcv emails w/ an address that is in my Contacts, often only the
> name will appear in the TO: or CC: field of the received msg and not the
> full
> address. I have to right click on the name and look at the properties.

> Is there a way to have outlook 2007 always display the full email address?

Nope. What you see is controlled by the sender.

> This is a real pain when I want to copy/paste.

One possible way to handle this is a tad convoluted, but it whould work. When

you have a mail message with all those people in to it and you want to

determine the mail addresses, right-click the recipient field and choose

Select All, then right-click the selection and choose Copy. Next, open your

Contacts folder amd click New>Distribution List. Click Select Members,

right-click in the Members field at the bottom, and select paste. Click OK.

This should give you a list of the names and addresses of the people, onw

name/address pair per row. Click File>Save As, change the "Save as type"

field to "Text Only (.txt)", enter a file name, and choose Save. Close the DL

window and click No when asked if you want to save the changes (you don't

really want to create the DL, only the name/address pairs). The text file you

created should be a tab-separated values file containing the information you

seek.

--

Re: Using copy paste to grab email addresses from the TO: addressfiel

On Mar 11, 10:01 am, "Brian Tillman "

<tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John" <J...> wrote in message

> news:EC5F375C-5B15-4377-8003-8B8870E3319B@microsoft.com...
>
> > I have all my Outlook 2007 Contacts set up to include the person's nameand
> > then their email address in parenthesis in the display as field.  Often I
> > need to place an email address in another document so I will open a newmsg,
> > type a few characters of the desired address to auto-fill the TO: fieldand
> > then copy and paste.

>
> > The problem is, often I end up with only the person's name and not their
> > email address.

> If you have the Display As field for your contacts set to include the mail
> addresses of your contacts, when you start typing, and the address pops up,
> press tab to allow the name to fill in and resolve.  This should cause Outlook
> to display the value you have for the Display As field for the contact, giving
> you the address as well.
>
> > Also, when I rcv emails w/ an address that is in my Contacts, often only the
> > name will appear in the TO: or CC: field of the received msg and not the
> > full
> > address. I have to right click on the name and look at the properties.

>
> > Is there a way to have outlook 2007 always display the full email address?

> Nope.  What you see is controlled by the sender.
>
> > This is a real pain when I want to copy/paste.

> One possible way to handle this is a tad convoluted, but it whould work.  When
> you have a mail message with all those people in to it and you want to
> determine the mail addresses, right-click the recipient field and choose
> Select All, then right-click the selection and choose Copy.  Next, openyour
> Contacts folder amd click New>Distribution List.  Click Select Members,
> right-click in the Members field at the bottom, and select paste.  Click OK.
> This should give you a list of the names and addresses of the people, onw
> name/address pair per row.  Click File>Save As, change the "Save as type"
> field to "Text Only (.txt)", enter a file name, and choose Save.  Closethe DL
> window and click No when asked if you want to save the changes (you don't
> really want to create the DL, only the name/address pairs).  The text file you
> created should be a tab-separated values file containing the information you
> seek.
> >

I have the same problem and copy/paste to Distribution list is only

capturing the name the sender used, not the email adress.

<mbutter@smilefredericksburg.com> wrote in message

news:5ea3e462-726c-49fc-825c-b7fd209a0e5f@j9g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

> I have the same problem and copy/paste to Distribution list is only
> capturing the name the sender used, not the email adress.

Try being a little more judicious in using cut/paste when bottom posting to a

lengthly thread. We won't need to scroll through the entire thread again

trying to find your response.

I tested it on multiple messages. I don't know why you don't see what I see.

--

Dear Brian (),

Many thanks for your reply - I tried it and your last suggestion worked to some extent. That is, it only works if the email address is in the form joe.bloggs@isp.com in which case both the name and address columns are both the same, with the joe.bloggs@isp.com entry.

If the email address in the CC field is in the form Joe Bloggs <joe.bloggs@isp.com> then it pastes as "Joe Bloggs" only (without the email section) and then I get an error message when pressing the OK button after trying to create the DL list, saying "cannot find" Joe Bloggs. So, to create the DL, I have to NOT choose all the email addresses in the CC box with this latter format so I can create the DL list, in which case both columns are both the same, as above.

A fuller explanation of my hair tearing problem is as below -

When trying to copy email addresses from the to/cc/bcc section at the top of an email, if the email is in the format (example only) -

Joe Bloggs <joe.bloggs@isp.com
then even if you copy the whole line as shown above as it appears in the to/cc/bcc section of the email (even if I take it from a "reply to all" email made from the original received email), then in Excel or in any other document that you paste to, including the "members" box of a distribution/contact group list, the result of the paste is -

Joe Bloggs

So, the <joe.bloggs@isp.com> section is NOT pasted.

However, if the email in the to/cc/bcc section of the email is in the format -

joe.bloggs@isp.com

without the pointy brackets (ie the sender may have put the address in manually in his to/cc/bcc box or has not associated a name with the email in the contact list), then the result of the paste is -

joe.bloggs@isp.com

without the name Joe Bloggs, which is understandable, as no name is associated with that email address.

So, my question is -

How can you copy an email address in the form of "Joe Bloggs <joe.bloggs@isp.com>" from the to/cc/bcc box in such a way that when you paste it to Excel or in the "members" box of a distribution/contact group list, then everything gets copied - ie if the email address in the to/cc/bcc box is Joe Bloggs <joe.bloggs@isp.com>, then BOTH the name and the email address are copied and not JUST the name, which seems a bit brain damaged to me for the software to behave in this way. If you can see it, you should be able to copy and paste it.

Many thanks.

All the best, cheers and enjoy.

Michael

In versions before Outlook 2010, when you copy the names from the address fields you'll only get the display name (which may be the name, the address or both). If you have a contact for the person, the name will resolve if you paste it into a new message or a Contact group (DL) but you can only use it within Outlook. For use in Excel or if you don't have a contact for the person, you need to get the addresses from the message header.

(Outlook 2010 will paste the name and address as .)

http://www.slipstick.com/tutorial/how-to-create-a-distribution-list-from-a-list-of-addresses/ shows how to get the addresses from the message header.

Dear Larry,

Many thanks for this - it has helped me to understand the brain-damaged way Outlook behaves.

You mention -=

(Outlook 2010 will paste the name and address as .)

What does this mean? Outlook pastes a (.) period? Or what. No compute for me.

Many thanks.

Michael:confused:

I don't know what larry meant - i think he dropped a word, maybe "desired". Outlook 2010 pastes it with both the name and email address included even when just the name shows in the To or From field.

I don't know what larry meant - i think he dropped a word, maybe "desired". Outlook 2010 pastes it with both the name and email address included even when just the name shows in the To or From field.

Dear Slipstick,

Many thanks for this, but it would be nice to see what Larry has to say re this. So, I will need to upgrade from Outlook 2007 to 2010 to be able to do the desired. Do you know what the upgrade cost would be, roughly? I have Office Professional 2010, 5 seats.

Michael

You have office 2010 now or will need to buy 5 copies office 2010 ? Obviously, if you have it, you have outlook. :) If you need 5 seats, i think pro retails for like $450 a seat but you might (or might not) do better with volume licensing. If Office standard or Home and Business, you can save about $200 per license. (Amazon has Home and Business for 219)

oh, and if some of those seats are for one user's laptop and desktop, you only need one license - the retail eula allows one desktop and one portable used only by the user.

You have office 2010 now or will need to buy 5 copies office 2010 ? Obviously, if you have it, you have outlook. :) If you need 5 seats, i think pro retails for like $450 a seat but you might (or might not) do better with volume licensing. If Office standard or Home and Business, you can save about $200 per license. (Amazon has Home and Business for 219)

oh, and if some of those seats are for one user's laptop and desktop, you only need one license - the retail eula allows one desktop and one portable used only by the user.

Dear Slipstick,

Many thanks for this - much appreciated. I only have Office Professional volume licensing 2007, so will have to upgrade to 2010. My VL has 5 seats, but I only need one at the moment. Can you upgrade just one of the seats, or do you need to upgrade all 5 at the same time?

Many thanks.

Michael:confused:

If you buy retail, 1. If you upgrade the volume licensing, i think you need to buy 5... but I'm not a licensing expert (mostly because licensing is soooo confusing and at times, contradictory)

If you buy retail, 1. If you upgrade the volume licensing, i think you need to buy 5... but I'm not a licensing expert (mostly because licensing is soooo confusing and at times, contradictory)

Dear Slipstick,

Many thanks for this - much appreciated. I will do some research when day comes and some coin also. Pity Outlook 2007 doesn't do it, despite getting all the free updates to the programs.

Michael

Sorry about that typo - i meant to add 'you want'. (Actually I think i meant to say desired but I have to be different from Slippy today. lol)

Sorry about that typo - i meant to add 'you want'. (Actually I think i meant to say desired but I have to be different from Slippy today. lol)

Dear Lazza,

Many thanks for that - much appreciated.

Yes, it is good at least OL 2010 copies the whole darrrrn thing, otherwise I'd go bonkers correcting everything manually, especially for large lists.

I have sent off some requests to update my VL version of MS Office Prof+ 2007 to 2010 so we'll see what the upgrade price is.

Desired/you want Potayto Potarto! I got the message. Many thanks. Alles Klar.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.