Exchange Management Console - Initializtion failed on Logon Failure: unknown username or bad passwor

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leo2308

Installed Exchange 2010 RC1 on a new 2008 server last week (just got it, not used for anything yet just testing stuff so far). All was running smoothly until the EMC decided not to allow me access to view 'Organisation Configuration', telling me I don't have sufficient permission to view this data.
I posted a message here and I was instructed to add administrator account into Organization Management and Server Management, which I tried and this did not solve the problem. Soon afterwards (after trying some member/permission settings within Microsoft Exchange Security Groups...) I managed to somehow break it further :-(
Now when launching EMC, I get:
The following error occurred when searching for On-Premesis Exchange server:
[" servername.domian" ] Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : Logon failure: unknown username or bad password. It was running the command 'Discover-ExchangeServer -UseWIA $true -SuppressError $true
I am logged into the server with the same administrator account used for installing everything.
I pretty much gave up trying to resolve the issue and was ready to re-install Exchange 2010 from scratch, however when trying to, I am unable to uninstall it as it produces an error in the readiness checks under hub transport role prerequisites:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Active Directory operation failed on " Servername.domian" . The supplied credential for " Domain\Administrator" on Bind operation is invalid. Error Code: 0x31.
This is most likely related, and is probably something really simple...if its possible to salvage this installation of Exchange that would be great, but I dont mind re-installing it (if I could!) any help/ideas would be appreciated.
At the moment I am unable to do much other than re-install Windows Server 2008, which is something I really want to avoid.
Thanks

Have you tried using the RunAs in 2008 this is usually the problem. Right mouse click on the Exchange Management Console program choice and use the RunAs to start the Console with Administrator privilages.

You have to hold down shift then right-click to get the Run As. On R2 you also have to start the " Secondary Logon Credentials" service, which I think is off by default to be able to use RunAs.Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.

Yep I've tried these, unfortunately I still get the same errors.
I've given up and am re-installing Exchange after having deleted the program files Exchange folder.., and removed Exchange registry entries.
Thanks for the help anyway.

Log onto the Exchange Server, go to Control Panel, Credential Manager, Windows Vault, Remove All Accounts from Windows Credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Microsoft Exchange account - Remote management Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
D Outlook Add-on for Exchange Spam Management? Exchange Server Administration 2
S Exchange Management Shell closes on command failure Exchange Server Administration 5
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Exchange Plan 1 Using Outlook 3
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
C Migrate Exchange to Office 365 Using Outlook 2
A Online Mode to Cached Exchange Mode problem Using Outlook 2
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
C How to fix outlook continuing to prompt fo an Exchange password Using Outlook 0
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
H Preventing the 'email address fetch from Exchange' crashing email reading code Exchange Server Administration 0
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
Z New minimum Outlook for Windows version requirements for Microsoft 365/Exchange Online Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
L Help connecting to hosted exchange server 2016 Using Outlook 0
O Exchange Sync period only (e.g. last years mail) Using Outlook 0
J Connect outlook to office365 exchange _without_ signing in office apps Using Outlook 4
J Importing N2K from a different Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
G Forward email body to other mail list directly from Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 1
D Do I need Exchange Add-In? Using Outlook 6
O Newbie question: how to sync two Outlook -Exchange and IMAP- calendars? Using Outlook 4
I Exchange 2019 - MICROSOFT-CORP-MSN-AS-BLOCK Exchange Server Administration 0
T Outlook 2010 How to Delete “Orphaned” TO DO? ( Not on Exchange Server) Using Outlook 6
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
C Transfer Autocomplete from Pop to Exchange Using Outlook 3
N Backing Up Exchange Calendar Using Outlook 13
A Ol16 desktopT suddenly can't connect with Exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
T How can Exchange be configured to sync/push one-way so that the server data can't be affected Exchange Server Administration 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 365 Exchange .ost within Personal Vaul Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5
A .restrict results changing after moving to Exchange online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Can Exchange Admin Center create a pst for users email/contacts/calendar? Exchange Server Administration 0
S Messages moved / deleted by auto-archive are not synchronized to exchange Exchange Server Administration 8
llama_thumper Setting up forwarders on Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 0
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
M WMI query for Get Disk IO performance in exchange Exchange Server Administration 0
B Outlook 2013/Exchange 2013 - Conf Rooms not fully booking "resolved conflict" meetings Using Outlook 3
D Adding Enterprise Exchange Email Account to Outlook Prevents Sending via Outlook.com Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
O Benefits of Exchange over IMAP and why would I choose Exchange? Using Outlook 2
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
A Prevent connection to Public Folders on Exchange? Exchange Server Administration 3
S Add Exchange Account as Secondary to Existing PST? Exchange Server Administration 1
S Adding new Exchange (2016) rule very slow down Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server Administration 0
CWM030 A quick question for Diane about Exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
G How to have domain client use owa server instead of exchange server while connect to network Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 message content does not display - outlook.com; exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9