Outlook Contacts 2010 problem with Notes section configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

lshartman

Hi,

I am having a problem with the configurations holding for the Notes section in Contacts - Outlook 2010. The font, spacing, margins, etc. often change ... in many cases text becomes much larger and blue. In addition, any e-mail addresses I put in the Notes section, end up with additional text added <mailto:....> ... sometimes running two or three lines.

I haven't been able to find a global setting for the Notes section in Contacts and the changes I do make via Format Text are not holding.

This is very frustrating. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm having the exact same problem, email addresses entered into notes will replicate multiple times and turn into html mailto links. Found any solutions yet?

This is the notes field on contacts etc, correct?

Addresses entered in the notes field (or in staicky notes) will hyperlink when you press enter - that is normal. You can disable it for all of Outlook in autocorrect options - the option to automatically link internet addresses.

Fonts are the same as for email - File, Mail, Stationery and fonts. The new mail font is used for notes fields.

Notes in the notes field shouldn't replicate though. Are you syncing with a smartphone or similar device? Syncing can result in duplicate sticky notes - I've never seen it duplicate the notes field, but i wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

The only other thing that writes to the notes field is the Social connector - I've never seen it cause duplicates, but it will add a note if it updates the address fields.

Same issue here. It's not the autocorrect. I've synced with Droids and iPhones with same results. Replicates all URLs and email addresses many times sometimes 20 or 30 times in notes section. I correct but they always come back. Using Outlook 2010 32-bit on Win7 32-bit SP1. Using Symantec Endpoint Protection 12. Using Exchange Server 2007 SP2 as part of SBS2008. Also, i never edit on phone or OWA, always edit in Outlook 2010.

Does it happen if you don't sync? Syncing is the likely cause - desktop antivirus scanners can cause issues but i haven't seen any reports of problems with enterprise scanners.

Are you using Echange Active Sync, itunes or another 3rd party sync tool?

I am having the same problem with email addresses entered into notes section of Outlook contacts replicating multiple times and turn into html mailto links. The same with URLs. Any solution to this problem?

I do sync with an iphone via an exchange server.

I am having the same problem with email addresses entered into notes section of Outlook contacts replicating multiple times and turn into html mailto links. The same with URLs. Any solution to this problem?

I do sync with an iphone via an exchange server.

I too have the problem of the notes section not "staying" formated (font, font size, color, spacing - its also adding "<mail to:" extentions to all my email addresses i store in the notes field) ). I also sync via our company server with an iphone via and exchange server.

It's the sync process - the iphone doesn't support formatting, so it strips it and when it syncs back, the formatting is removed.

I don't think you can disable the automatic hyperlinks - its something it does to plain text urls. Disabling the option to format as you type doesn't have an effect - its changed when you save the contact - before the iphone (or ipad in my case) gets it.

Duplicated notes: This is a bug and they are aware of it.

I use Outlook 2007, with MS Exchange Server 2007, and have been struggling with this same annoying bug for several years: Formatting changes randomly in the notes section of a contact. I tend to agree with others in this thread who say these changes occur during the sync process, but fortunately, the bug has not caused information to be lost. For me, it's more of a nuisance than a significant problem - but if you are OCD, it can drive you crazy. Here are the specific issues I've noticed and what I do to deal with them.

1) Hard returns are randomly dropped, which moves the beginning of a line of text to the end of the line preceeding it. This requires manual re-insertion of hard returns.

2) Blank lines are inserted randomly. These require manual deletion.

3) Text strings randomly change to a different font, a different font size - always larger, and a different font color - always blue. Text formatted bold is randomly un-bolded. The easiest way I've found to remove format changes, is to highlight the text that was changed and click the Clear Formatting button in the Font dialog box.

4) Standard line-spacing randomly changes from 1 line to 1-1/2 lines to 2 lines. I've not figured out a way to control this.

5) URLs and email addresses are duplicated over and over, requiring manual deletion. I use abbreviations so that Outlook doesn't recognize URLs and email addresses. (Example: instead of using the symbol "@" spell out "at".)

1. I wonder if that is due to the remove line break feature. Try typing 3 spaces at the beginning or end of lines.

2, 3, 4 are probably related to html formatting and sync.

5. I don't think it will help to change the autocorrect setting for internet addresses - I'm pretty sure i tested it a long time ago and it had no effect on what happened during syncs - addresses ended up hyperlinked.

Has anyone happen to find a solution for this. I agree that this is all caused by ActiveSync. I'm one of those OC people mentioned earlier in the string. It's driving me so nuts I'm about to contact MS. Thanks!

I'm not aware of a solution yet. We recommend opening a support case when something really bugs a user because it increases the chance it will be fixed - Microsoft does a better job at tracking bugs and feature requests when a support case is opened.

Has anybody found a solution to this? i'm currently experiencing the same exact issue and it's very annoying to our executive director.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Vladimir

Same issue.. brought up by one of our executives who frequently adds URLs and email addresses into the notes field within Outlook contacts. It definitely happens during the sync process and I believe that's why you see so much duplication of the garbage. Outlook to iPad/iphone, and then synchs back, and over and over again.

I also think an issue is with how Outlook handles HTML in that particular field. "Mail to:" is just the behind the scenes HTML code that NORMALLY allows you to click an address and spawn a new email to that person.

For whatever reason it wants to show that code instead of keeping in hidden.

If we pretend that it's not the mobile device's fault (LOL), It could be that the moment you enter email addresses person.person@email.com, that field converts it "Mail to: Person.Person@email.com", and THEN the mobile device simply reads what is in the field.

I guess a test would be to do this process on an email account that doesn't have any activesync devices attached to it and see if it happens in Outlook anyway.

After two years this problem persists on many Outlook 2007 and 2010 clients using Exchange 2003, 2007 and 2010. How could they not know about this bug?

Apple solved the problem in iCloud - iCloud 2 only has plain text notes. That's not a good solution for Outlook & Exchange though - but the problem is directly related to syncing as it is not a problem if you don't sync.

Addresses entered in the notes field (or in staicky notes) will hyperlink when you press enter - that is normal. You can disable it for all of Outlook in autocorrect options - the option to automatically link internet addresses.

Fonts are the same as for email - File, Mail, Stationery and fonts. The new mail font is used for notes fields.

Notes in the notes field shouldn't replicate though. Are you syncing with a smartphone or similar device? Syncing can result in duplicate sticky notes - I've never seen it duplicate the notes field, but i wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

The only other thing that writes to the notes field is the Social connector - I've never seen it cause duplicates, but it will add a note if it updates the address fields.

Hi!

You say the defaults for the contact notes on Outlook are the same as the settings for email messages. However, I don't have the same formatting issue with my emails.

My main concern is the paragraph spacing of the contact notes. The default setting / style has a 6 point spacing between each paragraph. I have not been able to change the default to no spacing,although I can select that style in the formatting ribbon.

Do you know where I can change the default formatting for contact notes, specifically the paragraph spacing (NOT the font)?

Thank you for your expert help. You seem to be everywhere:) I liked your All Mail Inbox solution!

Ramin

Hello again!

I found the answer in another one of your posts here:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/understanding-fonts-and-the-body-style/

Sorry to trouble you. Looks pretty straight forward:)

Thanks for all your advice!

Ramin

Status
Not open for further replies.