Shared Calendar Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejt72

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello. I'm utterly new to these forums, and I'm unsure I've placed this question in the correct place, so if I didn't, than I apologize.

I'm on a contract job where I'm actually progamming Excel VBA code, but I've been asked to help out with an Outlook issue, and I've never had to admin Outlook before. Here is the situation:

The department has a shared calendar where they place requested days off, and they want everyone in the department to be able to see which days are already taken (limiting the number of people who can request the same day). They do not want everyone to be able to see the details, just whether or not the day is taken. The managers are allowed to view the details. From my understanding, this should be a very easy fix, involving giving the general population "Free/Busy Time" read permissions, and giving managers "Full Details."

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. The calendar they are using was created by clicking Open Calendar -> Create New Blank Calendar... and doing this gives the "Read" box in the Permissions window only "None" and "Full Details" as options. "Free/Busy Time" isn't listed, nor is "Free Busy Time, subject, location." There are no greyed out options, and no buttons. Personal calendars have these options, but they don't want to share a personal calendar.

Is there a way to give "Free/Busy Time" read permissions, even though the Read box isn't giving the option? Is there a way to create a new calendar that has those options, so no one has to share a personal calendar? Is there another way around this?

Being new (and temporary) here, I don't have a lot of details on the setup of the system. I know we're using Outlook 2010, and I'm assuming we're also using Exchange 2010, but I could be wrong. I'm only dealing with users, and as I was told when I first signed on, the IT Department "doesn't handle software." (I don't even know how to explain that one)

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks for your response! I was afraid it was something that couldn't be changed or directly worked around.

When you say that a mailbox would be better, do you mean to set up a dummy account (possibly named Vac Reqs or the like) and use its "personal" calendar? If so, that could be done.

Yes, a dummy mailbox, basically a resource mailbox, but the resource it handles is time off. :)

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I've got the wheels (slowly) turning on this. Hopefully we'll have the resource mailbox up and running soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
V Unchecking my calendar and leaving shared one visible Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Fozzie Bear Shared Calendar For Scheduled Tasks Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
S Excel VBA and shared calendar issue Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J O365 - Adding Shared Google Calendar ICS link issue in O365 Using Outlook 0
N Having Shared Calendar shift to Current day Using Outlook 0
R auto send email when meeting closes from a shared calendar only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Updating existing entry on shared calendar wants to send update from delegate Using Outlook 0
G Unable to dismiss reminders from share point list calendar shared in Outlook Using Outlook 2
M Using conditional formatting on a shared calendar with categories Using Outlook 6
D Outlook macros to create meeting on shared calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
C Outlook Shared Calendar Using Outlook 1
K Other Shared Calendar on Outlook cannot change items Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
Diane Poremsky Shared Calendar Can't Be Deleted Using Outlook 0
A Get shared calendar name or id in custom appointment form Using Outlook 0
Mark Foley Problem subscribing to shared calendar Using Outlook 1
M Copy new appointments created in multiple shared calendars to another exchange calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Shared calendar not updating Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky How to View a Shared Calendar on a Smartphone Using Outlook 0
N Adding Appointment Item in Outlook to Shared Calendar Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
J Auto Accept Notifications from a shared icloud calendar? Using Outlook 4
M Create an Appointment from XL Spreadsheet in a Shared Calendar. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F e-mail reminder for shared calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Reminders in Outlook shared calendar Using Outlook 2
Z Reminders for all members of a shared calendar Using Outlook 1
M Email notification on creation of an appointment shared calendar? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Rory Campion Not getting a warning when a shared calendar item has been updated by someone else Using Outlook 2
N Outlook Shared appointments automatically to Private Calendar Using Outlook 1
I how to create appointment using saved template onto public folder shared calendar Using Outlook 3
Alex Hall When updating shared calendar, it does not automatically update personal calendar Using Outlook 3
J Creating an "isolated" shared calendar in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Excel to Shared Outlook Calendar Using Outlook 1
T Shared Calendar usable from Intranet Using Outlook 2
R How to copy outlook 2010 shared calendar appointment or meeting to personal calendar by vba? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R How to turn OFF the Reminders for shared calendar events but not off personal Using Outlook 1
M Open meeting in organizer's shared calendar Using Outlook 0
R New computer, OL2010 unable to display shared calendar appointments Exchange Server Administration 3
A Shared Calendar Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
T Setting Color codes for each user of a shared Calendar Using Outlook 1
M Calendar navigation displays previous field records.check calendar is shared.. Using Outlook 3
S Some people can not see the contents of my shared calendar. Using Outlook 2
S Viewing shared calendar on smart phones Using Outlook 1
M outlook shared calendar data export to excel sheet Using Outlook 1
K Prevent meeting requests being sent from a shared calendar in a group mailbox Using Outlook 1
D Selecting shared calendar for appointment/meeting templates Using Outlook 2
L Shared calendar appointments received as emails, stays in inbox! Using Outlook 1
N Prevent reminder dismisal in shared calendar Using Outlook 1
C shared calendar reminders Using Outlook 6
J Oulook 2010 Shared Calendar Syncing Using Outlook 1
N Can't delete calendar entries on shared calendar Using Outlook 3