Calendar Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMS

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I created thru you the macro that when I open up a contact and run the macro, it searches the calendar for the last name of the contact throughout the calendar.

But when I open the contact thru the shortcut (which we fixed just recently for the combobox macro), the macro for the calendar search does not run.

The macro you gave me was the folowing and the line : Set oContact = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1): shows up yellow from the debug etc.

Any way to fix this one as well??

Thanks so much!!

Sub Search_Calender()

Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application

Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace

Dim strFilter As String

Dim oContact As Outlook.ContactItem

Set ns = myOlApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")

Set oContact = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)

' use oContact.FullName to search on the name

strFilter = oContact.LastName

Set myOlApp.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderCalendar)

txtSearch = strFilter

myOlApp.ActiveExplorer.Search txtSearch, olSearchScopeAllFolders

Set myOlApp = Nothing

End Sub

thanks....but that did not solve it...and here is the line that goes yellow from the debug

strFilter = oContact.Email1Address

It looks like its not detecting the contact and getting the email address from it.

So why does the calendar search of the last name need to identify the email?

What to fix please?

i was basing that comment on your line in the post before it:

you need a strfilter = line in it - so if you have two, then delete it, otherwise change it to the field you want to use.

thank you...so this is the line and what words do I replace and what are the words to the calendar field please?

and just to be clear, this macro works when I open up a contact from the folder, but doesn't work when I open up the contact from the shortcut in the calendar

strFilter = oContact.Lastname

This is what you'd use for the last name field. If it doesn't work, I don't know what is wrong. When you open the contact from a shortcut, It's not seen as the current item, which I causes problems with the macro.

This is the macro you gave me that works from opening up the contact from the folder and not when I open up the contact from the shortcut to the contact.

So want to make this clear and see if there is anything you suggest that fixes it for running after I open up the contact from the shortcut to the contact.

And as a reminder, we fixed the similar problem with the other macros and you had me delete certain lines.

So, any new thoughts in details please?

Sub Search_Calender()

Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application

Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace

Dim strFilter As String

Dim oContact As Outlook.ContactItem

Set ns = myOlApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")

Set oContact = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)

' use oContact.FullName to search on the name

strFilter = oContact.LastName

Set myOlApp.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderCalendar)

txtSearch = strFilter

myOlApp.ActiveExplorer.Search txtSearch, olSearchScopeAllFolders

Set myOlApp = Nothing

End Sub

And in another forum someone said the following, but it's not anything I understand.....so do you have a thought for fixing this code?

"a) You cannot set a variable that's declared as ContactItem to an object that is not a ContactItem.

b) ActiveExplorer.Selection(1) gives you a reference on the first selected item in a folder whereas ActiveInspector.CurrentItem gives you the ref on the open item.

That is if you want to access an open item, then don't use ActiveExplorer.Selection. You made the same error with your first code."

I replaced ActiveExplorer.Selection(1) with ActiveInspector.CurrentItem and it is now fixed!!

Thanks for your time as usual!!!

Glad you figured it out - I was visiting family over the weekend.

As I have said in the past, this is not my area of expertise, and I truly appreciate your great support online!

Status
Not open for further replies.