Restore Master Category List Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Jory

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Due to a technicians instructions, I lost all the categories in my Outlook 2013. The PST file is connected to exchange. I did some research online and went through a process to try to recover them.

1. Opened old profile
  2. Assigned a note with all my categories and saved the note.
  3. Opened the new profile and imported the note with all my categories
  4. When I look at a contact now, I can see the original category which says "categoryname not in master category list"

I can group contacts according to categories but I cannot assign a category to a new contact because the categories are not in the master list. I did some more research and did the following.

1. Right clicked on the main inbox and selected "Data File Properties"
  2. Clicked on "Upgrade to Color Categories" and answered yes

This seems to have done nothing. I have about 200 categories. Is there any way to restore them ?

PS: can I post images here from snipit ?

Diane Poremsky or anyone, please help. I don't want to have to recreate over 100 categories. Just need to know how to get them back in the master list.

Sorry, I got behind on answering questions last week (and if I'm not lucky, will be behind again - I'm in a jury pool for 3 weeks. :( It is the biggest waste of time ever. "Free" justice is bad justice.)

Anyway... using upgrade to color categories should work if the item with the categories is in your default mailbox - categories are per account/data file, not for the entire profile.

You can post images, but they need saved and uploaded. You can also post links to images on file sharing sites. More than one link will kick it into moderation, but everything that is not spam is approved.

Are all categories assigned to one item? So if need be, we could get a quick list of all of the 'not in master list' categories?

I'm going to check with the category expert (Michael Bauer, who wrote Category Manager) and see what he thinks is wrong.

Oh, is the item with all the categories in the IMAP pst or in a local pst? IMAP doesn't fully support categories (but the data files now supports calendar and contacts).

Oh, is the item with all the categories in the IMAP pst or in a local pst? IMAP doesn't fully support categories (but the data files now supports calendar and contacts).

Thanks Diane for responding. I am new to exchange but have been using Outlook for ages.

All the categories are attached to a note in the main .PST file, the one that was converted and connected to exchange. All the categories were successfully applied to my contacts. When I open a contact I see it at the top but without a color. While I am in the contact I click on Categorize, All Categories and it is listed as client (not in Master Category List). Of course I can add it to the master list from here but I have about 200 of these. I was just trying to get them all in the master list automatically somehow. I did go to the PST account , right licked, Data File Properties and selected Upgrade to Color Categories and answered yes tot he warning prompt but that didn't seem to do anything. I hope this information helps.

It appears the Upgrade to color categories doesn't work with IMAP. Or it's broken completely - i removed the imap account and opened a pst in outlook 2013 and the color categories are not upgrading either.

Thanks Diane, Microsoft used to call these enhancements :rolleyes: What I had to do is open my note that contained all categories, then click All, then click on each category and clicked the new button, which added them to the master list.

Yeah, until they fix it, the manual method will have to do. It's not too, too bad if you only have a few categories, but is slow if you have a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook 2003 .pst Will Not Restore Completely to Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 5
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5
P Restore an individual all-day recurring event Using Outlook 2
J How to restore field no longer visible in field chooser? Using Outlook 1
S How to restore corrupted PST file over 2GB in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
G pst file restore Outlook 2013 from HTC One M9 Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Create a list of color categories and merge or restore the list using VBA Using Outlook 0
K After Carbonite restore pst files are found in a weird location Using Outlook 2
M Is it possible to restore deleted webmail to server? Using Outlook 3
B How to restore a Contacts Group back into the Contacts list Using Outlook 1
C Custom Search Folders deleted, /resetnavpane, can i restore? How? Exchange Server Administration 1
Horsepower How to restore default view Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 8
B Restore deleted contact distribution list Using Outlook 1
E Birthdays & Holidays in ICloud, how to restore them to Outlook Using Outlook 2
D Restore Delete Calendar Meeting Request Using Outlook 3
J Outlook client not redrawing completely upon restore Using Outlook 0
wallisellener BCM - restore default settings BCM (Business Contact Manager) 36
I Restore Outlook 2010 from iCloud Using Outlook 2
O BCM Dbase Issues (both not seeing dbase & not allowing restore for wrong owner BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M Outlook 2003: Restore location Using Outlook 1
E Disappointed in Outlook 2007, backup, restore, synch Using Outlook 5
E Outlook 2007 backup and restore function Using Outlook 2
P How to restore my previous address book after an iPhone sync changed it Using Outlook 2
M My Contacts Folder has disappeared. How do I restore it? Using Outlook 2
E How to restore BCM Database after upgrade from Vista to Win7? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Can not restore database in business contact manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R Business Contact Manager - MDF and LDF file restore in Windows 7 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
S Restore a Meeting (accidentally deleted in my calendar) Using Outlook 3
F Possible to restore/reinstall "special" buttons on custom form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Backup and restore E2K7 with Server2K8 Exchange Server Administration 4
A how to access BCM database after system restore BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
S Restore Deleted Folders and Emails in .pst Using Outlook 6
V Re: How can I restore a deleted distribution list to my contacts? Using Outlook 5
J Outlook Rules not show Master Category List Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
M Searching for categories not in the master category list Using Outlook 3
K Master Category List / Contacts Public Folder Advice Using Outlook 4
Z Re: Programming custom Categories into Master Categories List Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
farrissf Category list to pick from Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
V Macro to mark email with a Category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Emails assigned with a certain category (within a shared inbox) to be copied to a specific folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Clear one category when another is chosen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A VBA Script - Print Date between first email in Category X and last email in Category Y Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Auto Assign Category colours to Incoming Emails based on whom the email is addressed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Unflag Inbox and Flag Inbox with Orange Category After Item is send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
bhamberg Contacts in a category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
K Custom Category Colors Using Outlook 2
4 Macro to set the category of Deleted Item? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Update Appointment category when changed in Excel Using Outlook 3