Expected behaviour of recurring appointments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael986

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can clarify how recurring appointments will work when external contacts are involved - using Office 2013 connected to Office 365

We create a recurring weekly calendar entry (for a conference call) which contains both a distribution list and explicitly listed external contacts. The DL contains a mixture of internal and external contacts.

When one of the external contacts 'leaves' we will delete them as a contact (and therefore remove them from the DL). However, they will still have the calendar invite in their diary.

If we then make a change to the recurring appointment, it seems that they still receive this change. I've not tested to see whether the change goes to them if they are a member of the DL, or only if they are 'explicitly listed' in the To or CC fields. But what is the understanding here? - should it 'resolve' the DL at the time of the change and just send the change to the people who members AT THAT TIME? Or will it send to the DL as it was when the appointment was originally created?

And what is the best option for removing this appointment from the external contact's calendar without all of the other contacts receiving an 'update' (as it's not changing anything that affects anyone else).

Thanks for any help

Michael

They should work exactly the same as with internal recipients.... but the DL adds a complication. When you remove a member for a DL, the appointment doesn't see that change - it only sees when you make changes to explicitly listed recipients.

Thanks for the reply.

Lets remove DLs from the equation for the moment

I agree that, if I went into an appointment and removed a contact (whether internal or external) it would send them a 'appointment deleted' message and remove the appointment from their calendar. However, in my situation I'm not editing the appointment - I'm just removing the contact. So if that 'contact' is an internal user, then I'm deleting their mailbox, including their calendar as well - so the question of how to delete the appointment doesn't arise. The question only arises when deleting an external contact from Exchange.

So to clarify ...

If I go into the appointment and remove an explicitly listed contact (internal or external) it will send an 'appointment deleted' message to the contact - that's fine.

If I delete an internal user from Exchange, their calendar gets deleted so by default the appointment is gone - that's also fine.

If I delete an external user from Exchange, that user still has the appointment item in their (offsite) calendar. How do I remove it? If they are explicitly listed in the appointment, will Exchange notice this and automatically send an 'appointment deleted' message? If not, what can I do to remove it from this ex-contact's calendar, preferably without generating extra 'appointment has changed' messages to all of the other invitees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Commodore iTunes sync on a new computer - any issues to be expected? Using Outlook 9
M Breaking lines, expected end of statement Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Calendar Search by Category not showing expected results Using Outlook 7
V Sharing Hotmail contacts / groups not working as expected Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
R Meeting requests and appointments not working as expected Using Outlook 2
A Expected behauvior when modifying properties? Outlook 2003. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
L Outlook/O365 "sent on behalf" behaviour Exchange Server Administration 1
Ed Sheehan Unusual behaviour in setting Sender (Outlook 2016) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Justo Horrillo It's possible to modify the behaviour of the conversation option? Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2013 - Odd Sync behaviour Using Outlook 1
wallisellener BCM - Weird behaviour BCM (Business Contact Manager) 20
U Odd behaviour for auto-receive Using Outlook 2
J Using Group Policy to control Outlook security/attachments behaviour Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook 2003 Categories behaviour Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Strange Behaviour of Explorer Object. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook 2016 Understand and customize prepended behavior of recurring task Using Outlook 0
J Recurrence pattern blank on recurring meetings? Using Outlook 4
G Schedule recurring email and attachments display Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
V Outlook 2016 Multiple recurring tasks getting created Using Outlook 0
S Changing colors of today's appointments, but not recurring ones Using Outlook 33
G Recurring tasks break links Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
K Recurring all day annual event Using Outlook 3
P Restore an individual all-day recurring event Using Outlook 2
F Year-and-a-day recurring appointments Using Outlook 1
P Receiving a Meeting Declined notice for a recurring meeting Using Outlook 0
N Recurring invite sent w/distribution list adding/removing attendees Using Outlook 0
C Recurring Task End Date Varies Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2013 Recurring Tasks Not Showing Complete Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
G how to cancel a recurring meeting but not the organizer but all attendees need to know. Using Outlook 1
L Recurring Tasks lost Using Outlook 3
M Recurring icon for custom form task item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
Diane Poremsky Scheduling a Recurring Message Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Scheduling a Recurring Message Using Outlook 0
L Who Deleted My Recurring Meeting? Exchange Server Administration 6
T outlook cal for mac changes times of recurring meetings on its own Using Outlook 1
F Recurring meeting with recurring prep. 2 days before Using Outlook 1
Mr Mayor Another recurring meeting question Using Outlook 1
J Recurring meeting - i require a monthly accept confrimation Using Outlook 1
T The Formatting Changes When A Recurring Appointment is Changed Using Outlook 1
S Modify recurring outlook invites based on form entry Using Outlook 0
S How to script for a recurring task Using Outlook 0
I VBA Recurring Task Converted From Email Using Outlook 2
M Recurring invitations for a recurring meeting Using Outlook 3
M outlook recurring item stucks me. :( Exchange Server Administration 1
M Email address included automatically in the recurring meeting Using Outlook 4
L Setting up recurring meeting for every thursday except 3rd thursday Using Outlook 3
M How to skip weekends on recurring appointments - OL2010? Using Outlook 4
D Priting only Recurring Appointments in Outlook Calendar 2010 Using Outlook 1