Entering dates in Contacts and Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie Bennet

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I have made a customized contact form, using various fields (User Fields 1-4 were used up very fast) for data- I'm on Outlook 2007. I can then have a number of customized views. So, for instance, I wanted a field for the date that I first met with the contact. I randomly used, "ACCOUNT" as the field. When I then do a customized view for "aging"-- listing contacts in the order that I first met with them, I just use "ACCOUNT" as the field in the customized view, and of course, then name and other basic fields.

Here is my question: is there any way that I can enter the date for the meeting on the Calendar and it will then ALSO automatically populate in the "ACCOUNT" field? Or vice versa? Or enter it in another place and it will populate in both calendar and contacts?

Do you create appointments from the contact or create the appointment and link it to the contact (either using contact linking or by inviting them)?

If you normally go into contacts and select the contact then choose create new appointment, we can update the contact field fairly easily using a macro... but as long as you are on 2007, you can use Activities. You'll need to either invite the contact or add them to the Contact field for this to work.
To Link an Outlook Item to a Contact

To show the activities, click on the Activities button on the Contact tab. The first screenshot on Outlook 2010 & Contact Activities shows what it looks like.

ETA: I have a macro that i use to update the notes field when i send an invoice - that should work for this too.

i use this to look up a contact and create one if one is not found. it gets the email address from the selected email message and this line looks up the contact:
Set oContact = colItems.Find("[email1address] = '" & strTo & "'")

once you find the contact, you can update any field.

Code:
'-- Create Contact ---
Dim oNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim folContacts As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim colItems As Outlook.Items

Set oNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set folContacts = oNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
Set colItems = folContacts.Items
Set oContact = colItems.Find("[email1address] = '" & strTo & "'")

If Not (oContact Is Nothing) Then

oContact.Body = StrSubject & vbCrLf & strNote & vbCrLf & _
         "Client time: " & strTime & "My time: " & strMyTime & _
         vbCrLf & "------------------------------------------------" & vbCrLf & oContact.Body
         oContact.Save
         oContact.Display
Else

Set oContact = Application.CreateItem(olContactItem)

With oContact
.Body = StrSubject & vbCrLf & _
         strNote & vbCrLf & _
         "Client time: " & strTime & "My time: " & strMyTime

.Email1Address = strTo
.Email1DisplayName = strName
.FullName = strName
.Categories = "ScheduleOnce"
.Save
.Display
End With

End If

'---------------------

Thank you. I was also pondering a way to do several other things and if I understand this correctly, this WILL do the several other, also, with some modifications. Thank you! Thank you! I'll advise once I try it a bit more. Right now I'm backing up my data, just in case...

We set up appointments for our contacts by adding it to the calendar, only, and do not create a contact until the time of the appointment, for a variety of rational reasons. Despite how it sounds, we have been doing this with a keyboard and not a chisel and hammer for, gee, at least 2 months now.

remove the code that creates the contact and do something else (exit sub or something to avoid errors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Outlook 2021 Can you make emails from 3 word domains "safe" by entering top 2 word domain into Safe List in Outlook? Using Outlook 1
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
O Calendar - Location: what happens when using my own way of entering locations Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007: Address Cards allow entering text! Why? Using Outlook 3
A OL13 Calendar, won't allow entering 2 appointments consecutively Using Outlook 4
J Entering Contacts at Same Company Using Outlook 1
W Go to search field when entering a contact folder? Using Outlook 2
Z Syntax for entering same statement as a reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Outlook tasks keeps changing (updating) dates that I type Using Outlook 2
V Why is "Value Required" checkbox greyed out for Dates? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L dynamic and static dates in Outlook contact "notes" ie. body Using Outlook 2
I Help with dates in task list. Using Outlook 5
Z Outlook for G Suite emails showing wrong dates Using Outlook 4
Z Outlook 2013 Gmail IMPA emails not showing dates only showing times Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2013 Extract Flag Completed dates to Excel Macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
O Outlook 2016 follow-up flags--how can I add dates? Using Outlook 1
O highlighted dates in Yearly View for Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
B Extract Dates for Appointment Item in Body of email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
1 Incorrect dates in sent folder Using Outlook 4
C Many Expiration Dates in Custom Form Using Outlook 1
N To Do bar showing incorrect due dates on tasks Using Outlook 4
O automate dates in outlook template Using Outlook 1
R adding anniversary dates in outlook Using Outlook 2
B Birthday dates automatically (and improperly) placed in Birthday Details Using Outlook 2
D Task Start and Due Dates Using Outlook 3
T Conditional dates in Outlook Calendar Exchange Server Administration 1
C Dates changes to 1899 when Tab key hit in Time... Using Outlook 3
C dates missing when importing emails Using Outlook 5
S Inserting Dates With Quick Parts (or Macros) Using Outlook 4
K Recurring Tasks on specific dates, not pattern Using Outlook 0
S Reminders and Due Dates in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 6
D Sending Multiple Meeting Dates in One Meeting Request Using Outlook 4
A Is there a calender preference for Julian Dates in outlook? Using Outlook 4
T comparing and subtracting sent and received dates Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D offline fatabase on laptop not remembering TASKS dates BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Get Dates of Recurring Events in Shared Appointment Calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Apply Custom Contacts form to all existing Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
L Applying new form to existing contacts -- MessageClass Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Bardiferous Weird Contacts Behavior - Can't find any in any address book, but they're in there Using Outlook 3
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
P How to clear out all contacts in iCloud, so I can use iCloud-based sync program Using Outlook 1
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 0
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0