1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Table AutoFit > AutoFit to Contents
    Dismiss Notice

new search just... sucks

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by mr_malkovich, Jun 18, 2017.

1. mr_malkovich

mr_malkovich

Hey all. Just got a new laptop so I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 and downloaded Outlook 365. But search just.. sucks. At least half the time when i type a search term into Contacts Search, it just searches endlessly or takes like a minute to find results.

I just double-clicked on an email address in the From section of an email I received. I have a contact file for that email address in my main People folder, but the screen that popped up when I double-clicked on it said that it was not there. I went and found it in there manually just to check. I ran that registry key to install Legacy outlook files so that when i double-click on an email address in the From section of an email I receive, an old-school contact form will pop up instead of the new contact cards. Maybe that's affecting search results, but it shouldn't. It never did back on my old machine.

What can I do to improve search results and speed here? I already tried rebuilding the index.

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

3. mr_malkovich

mr_malkovich

Thanks for this. Now the question is: how do I make sure Windows 10 doesn't just automatically reinstall kb4022715? It already seems to be trying...

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

5. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

BTW, there is a registry key for outlook that you can set to force the slower outlook search engine for a few days -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search. Create a new DWORD named PreventIndexingOutlook and set its value to 1.