Outlook 2016 Address Book lookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVnativ

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I have a client using Win10, Outlook2016 with a POP account. Its an i7 system wth SSD and 16GB RAM, typically only running outlook, word and excel. Office has all updates installed.

When creating a new email with multiple recipients, the user clicks on "TO" and begins typing in the search field for an address. If he (I) type letters to do the lookup (and NOT press enter to select the found address), it looks up the name fine. Pausing, even briefly, then pressing enter inserts the address into the "to" field.

However... if I (he) does the same thing, and RAPID FIRE presses "enter" immediately after a character or characters, outlook inserts the FIRST ITEM in the address book list. Anybody else would accept this and modify his behavior. However, this user is a genetic mix between Bill Gates, Howard Hughes, and Dennis Rodman - on cocaine, two pots of coffee and a liter of Coca Cola.... and won't change.

Diane, at one point a couple of weeks ago I saw an entry from you in ~June that acknowledged this problem (I believe), said it was a bug, and a fix was eminent. Any thoughts/ suggestions? I've tried fixpst, exporting/ deleting contacts, compacting the .pst and reimporting, etc. all to no avail

Help.

i don't recall a bug that behavior - there was a bug that selecting an address from the address book did not insert it on the to field that i am aware of. (I dont know the status of this bug).

Is the first address in the address book a match for the letters he types?

Is the first address in the address book a match for the letters he types?

No, it literally selects the very first item in the address book if Enter is pressed rapidly. Whether the search is a single character or multiple, a fairly slight delay seems to allow the lookup to continue properly and the Enter inserts the found/correct address.

I've repaired and reinstalled Office and made sure there aren't excessive (only one) Outlook addins. Other things to look at, even if a wild idea?

Does it do this in other versions? If its a new bug, it could be related to the other address book bug.

Other versions of Office? Frankly haven't tried - you mean importing the .pst into Office 2013/ 2010?

No, repro the steps in older versions so we know if its a new problem.

Frankly, I haven't been able to narrow it down to much of anything. I've imported his .pst to other systems... some have the same issue, some don't... and unfortunately at the time I was in "try everything, throw everything at it" mode that I didn't make notes. I've tried creating another Outlook profile (no dice, problem there both before and after).... and I haven't imported his .pst to another version of outlook, both due to inaccessiblity of a machine with prior version(s) and the thought that the format of .pst has changed in 2016 vs prior (?did it?)

I haven't been able to repro it - i don't know if I'm not fast enough or not doing it quite the same way - and repro'ing is the first step to understanding it and getting it fixed.

reproducing it... exactly - and it's been like getting a firm hold on jello (except on that user's PC, which is regularly in use from 6AM to 9PM, 7 days/week, so tough to get any one-on-one time with it other than a late night remote.

I think it has something to do with his .pst and/or the address book contents thereof [hard time believing that it's a hardware (Keyboard, PC) or OS issue...]

Don't know if it helps you at all, but I tried several times and cannot reproduce this behavior either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Source of Outlook 2016 Address field dropdown "Other Suggestions" Using Outlook 3
T Have Outlook 2016 suggest email address auto complete entries directly from the user's contacts list Using Outlook 10
T Have Outlook 2016 suggest email address auto complete entries directly from the user's contacts list Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2016 doesn't show contacts in address book Using Outlook 2
T Create Rule For Secondary E-Mail Address In Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 4
A Outlook 2016 - adding outlook.com account creates a new/strange address Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 18
B Emails from a single gmail address not showing in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2016 Preview Address Book Options Using Outlook 2
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 and Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2016 MSI - Possible to make work with O365 modern Auth & Win7? Using Outlook 4
J Outlook 2016 Trying to get Outlook 2016 to work with Office 365 Using Outlook 0
W Transfer Outlook 2016 autocomplete file to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Can't display some embedded HTML images in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
O Moving "tasks" to inbox in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
Z Remove GMAIL IMAP account from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
P Prevent Outlook 2016 from using DASL filter Using Outlook 4
bhamberg Shortcuts in Folder Pane (Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 19
G Outlook 2016: Want IMAP Data Files on My D: Drive and Not C: Drive Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 64bit, Cannot Save in 'HTML', format Using Outlook 1
P Color Code or highlight folders in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
B vBA for exporting excel file from outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
glnz Can Word Normal.dotm interfere with Outlook? Office 2016 Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2016 and Earlier with Office365 in 2021 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2016 Retail C2R keeps logging since update? Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2016 Does Outlook-2016 (64 bit) work with iCloud for Windows ? Using Outlook 5
R Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Gmail not sending, asks for password for SMTP, tried different ports Using Outlook 23
V Outlook 2016 Outlook-2016 and iCloud for Windows - Problems Using Outlook 11
U Outlook 2016 Outlook 2016 sender name Using Outlook 1
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 15
E Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016? Using Outlook 6
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R seperate read layout to design in outlook 2016..Help!! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
G Recurring tasks break links Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
A How to get body of all emails in outlook 2016 to view in blue color Using Outlook 1
J Edit auto-complete list in Outlook 2016+/365? Using Outlook 0
D iCloud Add-in not working in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 After Windows Upgrade & iCloud Upgrade Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 iPhone won't download Outlook 2016 Mail. Using Outlook 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
A How to open a specific link automatically with outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
V Outlook 2016 will not move emails in search results Using Outlook 4
K Using Outlook 2016 to draw Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2016 Free/Busy settings ignored Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 2016 - controlling IMAP OST size with Group Policy not working Using Outlook 1