Wishlist How to use 'app password' in Outlook 2003 after Google pulled plug on "less secure apps"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwbow

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
Since 1 June 2022 I can't use Outlook 2003 for emails.
The reason is well published - Google no longer allow use with "less secure apps".
I have generated an app password consisting of 4 blocks of 4 letters with spaces between each block.
However when I enter this in the setup of my pop.gmail account, first on the initial page, then in "More Settings/ Outgoing server",
"Test Account Settings" still fails.
I have tried entering the app password with and without spaces but it makes no difference.
For information, I have 2 step verification set up (if that's relevant).
All the settings in "More Settings" (apart from the new password) are the same as Pre-June 2022 - ie when it was working OK.
I must be going wrong somewhere, but where?
Please help.

Since 1 June 2022 I can't use Outlook 2003 for emails.
The reason is well published - Google no longer allow use with "less secure apps".
I have generated an app password consisting of 4 blocks of 4 letters with spaces between each block.
However when I enter this in the setup of my pop.gmail account, first on the initial page, then in "More Settings/ Outgoing server",
"Test Account Settings" still fails.
I have tried entering the app password with and without spaces but it makes no difference.
For information, I have 2 step verification set up (if that's relevant).
All the settings in "More Settings" (apart from the new password) are the same as Pre-June 2022 - ie when it was working OK.
I must be going wrong somewhere, but where?
Please help.
This answer is from stewartgodin I hope it helps you as apparently it helped another user with your exact problem

Click for Original Thread

unless you set 16 digit passwords less secure apps are required

Hello my name is Stewart Goodin I have worked in the computer industry since 1982

I am seeing this problem, less secure apps, already cropping up with TELUS accounts.

First Less secure apps is required to be enabled for accessing GMAIL emails from OUTLOOK 2019

this applies to both IMAP and POP access to GMAIL via OUTLOOK 2019 unless you set 16 digit passwords.

So please if you are responding to questions take the time to read what people have said before you respond

I am tired of the millennial and the non millennial's attitude of not knowing what you are responding to before you answer.

here is a link to setup a 16 digit password to access your GMAIL account from OUTLOOK 2019

Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

Here are step by step instructions to accomplish this

Google Help Center 2-Step Verification > Signing in with 2-Step Verification > Sign in with App Passwords

Login to GMAIL Account "myaccount.google.com"

Click on security

Enable 2 step verification, you will have to have a cell phone or access to some other device.

Now click on the back arrow, Top Left Center of Screen,

Having done that now app passwords will appear

click on app passwords

click on select app and mail

click on select device and select windows computer

click generate and a 16 digit code will appear #### #### #### #### highlight and copy to clipboard

go to Microsoft OUTLOOK and paste that code into your password line, you will be prompted for it,

click on remember and save

Your outlook will work fine from now on and you will find less secure apps is all ready disabled

The feature “less secure apps” has been removed by Google recently. Hence, less secure apps feature will replace with Google Apps Password. Now if you are planning to access your Google Workspace or Gmail using third party apps. Then, you need to generate Google Apps password.

Steps to Create Google Apps Password

You need to turn on 2 step verification before generating apps password because this is mandatory.

Steps to Turn On 2 Step Verification

• Login to your Google account.
  • Choose Security option.
  • Now click on 2 Step Verification.
  • Enter your password and OTP to turn on 2 step verification.

Steps to Generate Google App Password

• Firstly, login to your Google Mail account.
  • After that, choose Security option.
  • Now choose App Password under security.
  • Enter your account’s password and press Next.
  • Thereafter, choose an App and Device accordingly.
  • Click on Generate button for creating 16 digit app password.

Status
Not open for further replies.