Email address stripping out a period

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Piercey

SBS2003R2

Our email addresses are setup as First Name dot Last Name at domain name.

Seems that each user profile is not keeping the dot between the first and last

names. I can edit them on the profile, apply the changes and they revert back

to without the period.

Why is that?

Thanks.

Playing around a bit and I *think* UNchecking

"Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy"

fixes the issue. Is there something else I should be changing so this

is not an issue?

"Jason Piercey" <Jason@atreng.com> wrote in message news:uRw7XkQeKHA.1824@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> SBS2003R2

> Our email addresses are setup as First Name dot Last Name at domain name.
> Seems that each user profile is not keeping the dot between the first and last
> names. I can edit them on the profile, apply the changes and they revert back
> to without the period.

> Why is that?

> Thanks.
>

Hello Jason,

> Playing around a bit and I *think* UNchecking

> "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy"

> fixes the issue. Is there something else I should be changing so this
> is not an issue?

> "Jason Piercey" <Jason@atreng.com> wrote in message
> news:uRw7XkQeKHA.1824@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> > SBS2003R2
>

>> Our email addresses are setup as First Name dot Last Name at domain
> > name. Seems that each user profile is not keeping the dot between the
> > first and last names. I can edit them on the profile, apply the
> > changes and they revert back to without the period.
>

>> Why is that?
>

>> Thanks.
> >

I'd validate your recipient policy - seems like it's incorrect if applying

it gives you invalid email addresses

Karl

http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/

Hi Karl,

I'd look into that if I knew where to look. Can you please

provide more information?

"Karl Mitschke" <karlmitschke@somestate.gov> wrote in message news:d66cd4c218dd58cc46eb19370e5e@msnews.microsoft.com...
> Hello Jason,

> I'd validate your recipient policy - seems like it's incorrect if applying it gives you invalid email addresses

> Karl
> http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/

>

Ok. ESM > Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy)

SMTP @domain.com

smtp @domain.local

smtp Given.Surname@domain.com

smtp Given@domain.com

X400 c=US;a= ;p=DOMAIN;o=Exchange

Is what is shown.

I guess the default should be set for Given.Surname@domain.com

?

"Karl Mitschke" <karlmitschke@somestate.gov> wrote in message news:d66cd4c218dd58cc46eb19370e5e@msnews.microsoft.com...

> I'd validate your recipient policy - seems like it's incorrect if applying it gives you invalid email addresses

"Jason Piercey" <Jason@atreng.com> schreef in bericht

news:#ZY0aLReKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Ok. ESM > Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email
> Addresses (Policy)

> SMTP @domain.com
> smtp @domain.local
> smtp Given.Surname@domain.com
> smtp Given@domain.com
> X400 c=US;a= ;p=DOMAIN;o=Exchange

> Is what is shown.

> I guess the default should be set for Given.Surname@domain.com

Based on your requirements, yes. Note that smtp changes to uppercase SMTP.

With kind regards, Met vriendelijke groet,

Jetze Mellema (MS MVP)

Lees mijn blog: http://jetzemellema.blogspot.com/
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375

Mijn werkgever: http://www.pqr.nl

"Jetze Mellema [MS MVP]" <stoppen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23OyTEYReKHA.5228@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> Based on your requirements, yes. Note that smtp changes to uppercase SMTP.
> > With kind regards, Met vriendelijke groet,

> Jetze Mellema (MS MVP)
> Lees mijn blog: http://jetzemellema.blogspot.com/
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375
> Mijn werkgever: http://www.pqr.nl

Thanks and uppercase noted. I applied the policy and now when I

send mail the return email address is displayed as Given.Surname@domain.com

which I don't want the recipient to see. So I edited each user profile

and set the address I want as the primary. Is this normal behavior?

Just wanted to clarify:

As in those exact words "Given.Surname" not the given and surname

specified in the user profile.

"Jason Piercey" <Jason@atreng.com> wrote in message news:%23npJvhReKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> Thanks and uppercase noted. I applied the policy and now when I
> send mail the return email address is displayed as Given.Surname@domain.com
> which I don't want the recipient to see. So I edited each user profile
> and set the address I want as the primary. Is this normal behavior?

Jason Piercey <Jason@atreng.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to clarify:

> As in those exact words "Given.Surname" not the given and surname
> specified in the user profile.

Use %g.%s@domain.com in the policy.

The list of variables is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285136

Note that anything you've done already will have put the new addresses in

people's mailboxes.... you will need to manually delete those as a new

polciy/policy change will not *remove* anything already added.

> "Jason Piercey" <Jason@atreng.com> wrote in message
> news:%23npJvhReKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> > Thanks and uppercase noted. I applied the policy and now when I
> > send mail the return email address is displayed as
> > Given.Surname@domain.com which I don't want the recipient to see. So I
> > edited each user profile and set the address I want as the
> > primary. Is this normal behavior?

Perfect. Thank you.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote in message

news:eVY17bdeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> Use %g.%s@domain.com in the policy.

> The list of variables is here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285136

> Note that anything you've done already will have put the new addresses in people's mailboxes.... you will need to manually delete
> those as a new polciy/policy change will not *remove* anything already added.

> Perfect. Thank you.

Most welcome. Have fun removing the old addresses ;-)

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:eVY17bdeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > Use %g.%s@domain.com in the policy.
>

>> The list of variables is here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285136
>

>> Note that anything you've done already will have put the new
> > addresses in people's mailboxes.... you will need to manually delete
> > those as a new polciy/policy change will not *remove* anything
> > already added.

There were only a few extra and we don't have but a handful

of users so it wasn't all that bad.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote in message

news:un3T2qfeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Jason Piercey <Jason@atreng.com> wrote:
> > Perfect. Thank you.

> Most welcome. Have fun removing the old addresses ;-)

> There were only a few extra and we don't have but a handful
> of users so it wasn't all that bad.

Cool beans :)

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:un3T2qfeKHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > Jason Piercey <Jason@atreng.com> wrote:
> >> Perfect. Thank you.

>

>> Most welcome. Have fun removing the old addresses ;-)

Hello. I am desperate for help and this topic is the closest thing I could find to the problem I am experiencing. I have an Exchange 2003 server behind our company firewall which is configured both with port forwarding and mail forwarding to the mail server using an accepted recipient table in Postfix. The system has been running for years with no issues but we recently decided to switch to a different domain name that we also own. So, I added the secondary domain to the server by editing the default recipient policy and making sure the authoritative box was checked. Everything went very smoothly and new addresses were created for all the users in the system reflecting the secondary domain name.

Here is where it gets strange. The recipient policy is setup to incorporate user names for both domains as follows: %g%1s@domain1.com and %g.%s@domain2.com

This worked and the names are set up properly as I wanted. However, when I try to send new messages from outside the firewall to first.last@domain2.com the transport fails (as seen in the exchange logs) but no NDR is sent to the outside originator. It also fails if I try to reply to a message that originated from first.last@domain2.com.

The really weird thing is that I can successfully send new messages to first@domain2.com as this email is also set up in AD for each user (but is not specifically part of the recipient policy). Even weirder, I can send a message successfully to the first name with first letter of the last name such as DaveP@domain2.com and that email address is not set up for that user in AD at all.

Switching the Primary Domain from domain1 to domain2 does not seem to have any effect.

Everything seems to show that the firewall is passing things to the mail server properly and I can see the messages are getting to the mail server in the Exchange logs but the only variation that still fails is first.last@domain2.com.

Can you help me resolve this strange issue?

Did you go into the AD and verify the address assigned to the user object? (Checking one or two users should be sufficient.)

Yes, I checked all the users in AD and they did get the @domain2.com addresses assigned. I also checked the metabase and saw that both domain1 and domain2 are present.

The lack of outside email to domain2 was reported by one user early last week so I tried sending messages from my gmail account to every employee using the @domain2 address (we only have about 20 people at our office) and all but 3 received the email. I struggled with trying to figure out what was different for those 3 users and couldn't find anything so I tried to redo the process, removing the secondary domain from the recipient policy and deleting all the AD user addresses that referenced domain2. I then rebooted the server and tried once more to configure domain2 using the recipient policy which all seemed to work. However, now -- nobody gets external email when addressed to first.last@domain2.

Thank you for responding and I hope someone on this forum can help me figure this one out.

After many days of looking, I finally figured this out a few minutes ago.

It seems that Postfix which is running on our front line server was "relaying" domain2 messages to domain1 which means outside emails were coming in addressed to first.last@domain2 and they made it through the recipient policy just fine but then were relayed to the internal mail server and I didn't realize that when the messages hit the mail server the address was changed to first.last@domain1 and there was no email set up for that user matching that address.

Now that I figured this out, I created a new email using the recipient policy for every user with the format first.last@domain1. So far, it seems to be working.

I appreciate the input and help just the same. maybe these posts will help someone else that encounters this issue.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.