Outlook 2003 error-Microsoft outlook has encountered a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamieRG

AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.8010.0 AppStamp:43d16d53

ModName: msmapi32.dll ModVer: 11.0.8002.0 ModStamp:4373069d

fDebug: 0 Offset: 00021f57

Microsoft outlook has encountered a problem.

I am receiving the following above and can not seem to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it. As soon as I launch outlook, i get the microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

this seems to be happenning only for a particular account in my Outlook. The other accounts are working fine. I am also able to send emails using the problematic account. It is only when I click to Receive emails from the problematic account that this error shows up. Is there any way I can recreate the account without having to loose the emails or without having to download the emails again ?

Arun-
If this account is Exchange or Outlook Connector for Mdaemon you can remove the account and recreate without losing the data. If this is a pop account, all removing the profile would do would be to remove the association between the pop email account and the PST file located locally on your workstation (or server if that is how you have it configured.) I have run into this problem with both pop, exchange and outlook connector for mdaemon profiles and often then recreation of the profile fixed the issue. If this does not work, a reinstallation of Outlook is in order.

Encountered the exact same problem - when retreiving from a POP account - starting at approximately the same day. Suddenly.

Recreating the profile does not help.

I tried doing the following in vain:

I created a new .pst file and I downloaded all the emails again till the date before I started having this problem (good thing that I was able to remember the date!). And then there was no problem even when I tried downloading the remaining. Then I completed downloading the emails and tried the Receive button again to test if it was fine, but the same error popped up again now.

So the next thing I did was to remove the emails of that particular date, a day before that date and after that date from the email server. Then I tried downloading all the emails again after creating a new .pst file. This time also I finished downloading all the emails and when I hit Receive button again, I got the same error again !

This is a normal POP email address (@rediffmail.com) and there are about 13,000+ emails and the .pst file is around 300 MB.

Please tell me what else I can try ?

ArunOnline & All

I did exactly the same - except I set up an entirely new profile in outlook. However - still in vain.

I received the problem at approximately the same time as you did (my first occurence was October 10th) - on a standard POP email address with about 23.000 emails or so. Standard POP address (through www.one.com).

Starting to figure what the root cause could be - and came up with two suggestions:

1. the content in a specific (spam) mail causing this - or

2. some MS security update causing this?

Any more theories?

How does one raise this to MS support? It seems to be some type of general problem?

Jan (jan.morath@dspanel.com)

I have the exact same problem and it started Oct 31. My problem caused me to lose the most recent 30 or so emails in my Inbox leaving behind the empty lines where the emails used to be listed. Also the scrolling function becomes disabled. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice to no avail. Every time I start Outlook I get the " Microsoft outlook has encountered a problem" error and it asks me if I want to send an error report to Microsoft...and I have...probably 20 times. Sometimes the problem will shut down the PC and go into a reboot. I'm cluless and ready to revert back to Outlook Express.

I'm haveing the same problem, hope to not have to re-install outlook witch would most likely mean rebuilding the PC.

One out of 20 pc's, 5 have pocket pc's connected, Problem is on a new laptop with pocket pc.

Was ok untill about the same time frame.

Let me know if anyone comes up with fix.

I've been having the same problem for about three weeks and I've tried everything uninstalling, creating a new profile etc.

found this solution on the Osnn.net forum which was related to some outlook calendar problem. The problem seems to be the msmapi32.dll file located in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033"

outlook needs to be closed before doing this

I replaced the current file with and older version of msmapi32.dll (11.0.5601) and renamed the current msmapi32.bak (just in case something went wrong). I then deleted my current outlook profile (I'm using MDaemon connector) and created a new profile. so far no problems.

reading through different forums there seems to be a lot of problems relating to the msmapi32.dll file and the mapi32.dll file. why doesn't MS support come up with an answer or fix?

mikksa, thank you for the first proposed solution in this thread!

However a remaining minor question: Where do I find the appropriate (older) version of MSMAPI.DLL?

jannemSE

the file in question is the one that comes with Service Pack 1 (or an earlier version) so you need to find someone that hasn't updated to SP2 yet and copy the file from there. otherwise i have a copy so i could always zip it to you.

I am having the same problem and have tried, detecting/repair, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc. with no luck. Is there any way you could send me a copy of the file from service pack 1?

thanks

This problem seems to include Outlook 2000 through Outlook 2007. That is bad.I have been having this problem with Outlook 2000. The error message " Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close" occurs while I am reading email and when I close the Outlook problem.I also get the error message " Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close" every few minutes through the entire time I am using my computer. The message keeps appearing and reappearing even when I have not opened any Office program.I hope that the solution to your problem will also fix mine. Since the same problem has been in Outlook for 7-years, I think that I will wait for a fix before buying Office 2007

KC4COP

One week and no error messages after replacing my msmapi32.dll file with the older version.

mikksa

Thanks for sending me the file. The version you gave me was 11.0.6361.0

Unfortunately, I still get the error even after replacing it. I had recreated the Mail Account and also create a new .pst file and downloaded the whole mails again. But when I tried receiving the mails again, I got the error again.

My outlook.exe version is 11.0.8010.0 - Do you think I should replace this also with an older version ?

Hi have just read about the problem you seem to have cured i am so pleased i thought i was going mad.My daughters boyfriend has tried all sorts to fix but has not been able to, i hope this may help him to fix it.I have been using Firefox as a browser now which is fine but i still have a problem in that on some e mails if i wish to see some thing and " click" on a picture or link to view it obviously for some reason it trys to go via I.E. and i get the same message so cannot view.

I will let you know how it goes, many thanks for your help on here.

Thanks for the file to.

Lika ArunOnline however my problem persisted.

And I finally gave up.

I've changed to using eudora as an email client for pop instead - works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.