Status
Not open for further replies.

SZMan

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello all,

I have a test environment consisting of a Exchange 2007 server and two workstations of WinXP and Office 2010.

I have found that, when I imitate users roaming from machine to machine, the following message pops up from time to time on starting Outlook:

Outlook is using an old copy of your outlook data file. Exit Outlook, delete the file. It will be automatically created next time you initiate a send/receive.

While deleting the OST file is not difficult, it is a nuisance to do this task constantly. How can this issue be solved, other than disabling the cached mode? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Frederick Chow

Outlook 2010 stored more data in the profile but the ost is stored on the local machine - your choices are disable cached mode, not use romaing profiles, or roam the ost. Roaming the ost is not practical if its very large though.

Outlook 2010 stored more data in the profile but the ost is stored on the local machine - your choices are disable cached mode, not use romaing profiles, or roam the ost. Roaming the ost is not practical if its very large though.

Thanks for your response.

First, I don't use roaming profile in my environment; after all, the OST file does not go with the roaming profile by default.

Roaming the OST is not practical ... I agree...

Disabling the cached mode altogether ... that's a viable option; but some of the Office 2010 features would also be disabled as a result.

So, does Microsoft ever think of a way that makes the lives roaming Exchange/Outlook users easier?

If you aren't using roaming (windows) profiles, how do the users roam? If you have an outlook profile for each machine, you shouldn't get the error as each profile is used only on one computer with its own ost. When you use roaming profiles, the ost is local to the computer but the profile sees that the ost is not the same as the last time you used outlook and kicks up the error.

Really? Turning on roaming profiles does help the problem I am facing?

Thanks for your suggestion; I will give it a try.

If you aren't using roaming (windows) profiles, how do the users roam? If you have an outlook profile for each machine, you shouldn't get the error as each profile is used only on one computer with its own ost. When you use roaming profiles, the ost is local to the computer but the profile sees that the ost is not the same as the last time you used outlook and kicks up the error.

No, i think i roaming profiles could be the cause, not the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Online Mode to Cached Exchange Mode problem Using Outlook 2
B Configure Outlook so Exchange uses cached mode but new items are by default saved to Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2016 in Cached Mode Using Outlook 1
N Shared mailbox in cached mode Using Outlook 0
L Outlook Office 365 cached mode crashing Using Outlook 0
L how to set downloaded cached emails Using Outlook 5
J Cached mode no longer works with NTLM authentication Exchange Server Administration 0
R Microsoft Outlook 2010 - Non Cached Mode Using Outlook 0
P Where are the cached emails stored? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
R Mailto link inside Outlook 2010 being cached? Using Outlook 1
P Reply All does not work in Outlook 2010 Cached mode Using Outlook 4
N Email Stuck in Outbox - Cached Mode - Roaming Profile Using Outlook 2
U Cached mode additional mailboxes Using Outlook 2
K Outlook Cached Mode - can't create rules to move email to another mailbox Using Outlook 2
W disabled cached mode, but Outlook still using OST Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010 search of PST files doesn't work unless in cached mode Using Outlook 3
P Migrate profile - cached mode setting Using Outlook 2
S Unable to enumerate Mailboxes in NON Cached Mode (if more than 2) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
T Exchange Server - Mail Delay Stamping Exchange Server Administration 0
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 3
CWM550 Exchange Plan 1 Using Outlook 3
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
C Migrate Exchange to Office 365 Using Outlook 2
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
C How to fix outlook continuing to prompt fo an Exchange password Using Outlook 0
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
H Preventing the 'email address fetch from Exchange' crashing email reading code Exchange Server Administration 0
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
Z New minimum Outlook for Windows version requirements for Microsoft 365/Exchange Online Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
L Help connecting to hosted exchange server 2016 Using Outlook 0
O Exchange Sync period only (e.g. last years mail) Using Outlook 0
J Connect outlook to office365 exchange _without_ signing in office apps Using Outlook 4
J Importing N2K from a different Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
G Forward email body to other mail list directly from Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 1
D Do I need Exchange Add-In? Using Outlook 6
O Newbie question: how to sync two Outlook -Exchange and IMAP- calendars? Using Outlook 4
I Exchange 2019 - MICROSOFT-CORP-MSN-AS-BLOCK Exchange Server Administration 0
T Outlook 2010 How to Delete “Orphaned” TO DO? ( Not on Exchange Server) Using Outlook 6
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
D Microsoft Exchange account - Remote management Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C Transfer Autocomplete from Pop to Exchange Using Outlook 3
N Backing Up Exchange Calendar Using Outlook 13
A Ol16 desktopT suddenly can't connect with Exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
T How can Exchange be configured to sync/push one-way so that the server data can't be affected Exchange Server Administration 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 365 Exchange .ost within Personal Vaul Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5