Outlook 2007: "Enter Network Password" Pop-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry P.

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Every day I get this dialog box popping up at least 50 times. it stops the ability to enter anything in any program. It asks for the following 3 items: Server, User Name and Password. I have entered these items time and again crosschecking that they are correct and active. yet I cannot disable this pop-up. Does anyone have a suggestion? Many thanks.

Paying $199. for a soultion to an Outlook problem is beyond reality. Thanks but no thanks!

Did you even read the article? Method 1 (new profile), 2 (Safe mode), and 3 (remove password key from registry) are all free.

Safe mode won't really do much, except tell you if its an outlook support file at fault but new profile or deleting a registry key may work.

I also am experiencing this problem. I have tried the knowledge base recommendations but they did not work. Does anyone know if upgrading outlook to 2010 will fix this problem? Should Windows 7 and Outlook be reinstalled?

Upgrading rarely fixes anything. Reformatting and reinstalling windows should fix it, but that's a lot of work.

I'd try a new profile first. Also, if you use safe mode, does the problem go away? (Close outlook, hold Ctrl as you click the outlook icon to start it.)

Thank you for the reply. I tried changing my profile as well as start Outlook in safe mode but the "Enter Network Password" continues to pop up.

when it happens in safe mode, its a problem in the registry or with outlook itself and reinstalling windows should fix it (but is a lot of work!)

That is very informative. Thank you. It is annoying enough that I will reinstall Windows 7 as well as all my other programs. This is the first clear answer after spending hours on the Internet.

It might be a clear answer, but its not one I's want to do.

Try this first: create a new windows account and see if the password is remembered. It's much easier to set up a new windows account with all your preferences than it is to reinstall everything - you might still need to reinstall a few things (like programs that were installed "For me only", but that less work than redoing everything.

Larry, that seemed to work. I added a new Windows account and set up the e-mail account. So far, I have not received the "Enter Network Password" pop up. You saved me a lot of work and frustration. Thank you.

Could the pop up menu come up all the time when several devices, outlook, iphone, ipad are trying to access the ISP mail account?

That is a possiblity - turn off the devices and see if it helps.

Most POP3 mailboxes 'lock' the mailbox for up to 10 minutes when a client connects and this keeps other clients from connecting. You can reduce problems a little by setting outlook's 'check every' time to a higher number - it should be at least 10 min anyway (many people lower it to under 5 min and that is not recommended.)

I dont know how often the ipad/iphone check or if its even configurable on those devices.

If the problems go away when you turn off the ipad & iphone, be sure and post back so others can learn.

I shut off the iPhone and iPad and I still get the "Enter Network Password" popup.

This is the Outlook Error Message:

Task 'AT&T - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] invalid user/password'

Does outlook ever connect? That error message says the user or password is wrong. Verify the user and password is correct and doesn't have a typo then check the Account settings and make sure the ssl settings are correct. Tools, Accounts, double click on the account then More Settings - look in the last tab.

I have made sure the configuration is correct. Outlook connects and can download messages. After I cancel the pop up, it also will download new messages. When I shut down my iPhone and iPad, the popup does not occur. However, if I set the iPhone to connect every hour, I occasionally get the "Enter Network Password" popup. The strange phenomenon is that if I shut down Outlook, and start Thunderbird which checks every minute (iPhone every 15 minutes), I do not get the pop-up at all. I kept this configuration all night and all day.

Sounds T-bird ignores the lock - not surprising as Outlook is more sensitive to some things.

I have heard numerous complaints at the AT&T forums that people within the last 3 weeks are experiencing the "Enter Network Password" popup message. They complain that AT&T has changed settings on the mail servers recently leading to lockouts when several devices are trying to access the server at the same time. This did not happen before. People are hoping that AT&T will again allow the simultaneous access to retrieve mail since people own tablets and smartphones. They confirm that when both an iPhone and iPad are shut down (or not retrieving email), they no longer receive the pop up.

Also, Thunderbird does not trigger the popups. Hopefully something can be done in Outlook or an ability to suppress the popup in Windows.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Email/Enter-Network-Password/td-p/2848489/page/4

Do you have the same account type (pop or imap) configured in all clients? IMAP accounts shouldn't have a problem, only pop3.

Status
Not open for further replies.