Status
Not open for further replies.

LouS

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
IMAP
Hi There

The environment is a home computer with Windows 10 Pro and using Office 2007 Pro, POP protocol.

This may be a silly question, but is there any way that the Outlook "Send/Receive" processes can be separated, so that you can "Send" without automatically triggering a "receive" and/or do a "Receive" without an automatic "Send"?

Separating the 2 functions would allow (as one example) to have an automated "Receive" while delaying the "Send" of large email files to a more opportune time. Or you could prioritize the "Send" and delay the "Receive" until you're ready to start receiving email.
I know that there are workarounds for this eg save the "large" email as a draft and send it when you're ready. But I'm curious if someone has already thought of this and built it into Outlook.

Please be kind and patient with any responses as I'm no genius :)

Cheers
Lou S

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
There is a separate send option, not not a separate receive only option. However, you could create Send and Receive groups to do that. Copy the default group and edit it - in one you have it doing receiving only. (You can use the Send all command to send at any time or copy the group and create a send only group.) Disable the group with both send and receive from doing an auto send/receive.

if this screenshot isn't too confusing...

all accounts is not included in F9 or scheduled s/r (i forgot to uncheck the F9 option before the screenshot)
Receive only group is edited and send is unchecked. (That dialog is for an imap account - a pop account has fewer options there but i don't have a pop in the profile i had handy.)

sr-options.png

LouS

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
IMAP
Hi Diane - thank you for the instruction - and no, the screenshot is not too confusing. :). It all makes sense and I'm about to use your instructions to set it up. Again, thank you and all the best.
Lou S

Status
Not open for further replies.